• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How can I get English subtitle of Top Gear?

neojohnson

Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
52
Location
Guangzhou China
Hi, dude!
I'm a new guy here from China.
I love TG just as you guys. And I've watched the whole episodes of TG from 2002 S01 to 2005 S06.
I think TG is the greatest Auto TV Show of the world and history!! It is great. And we should share good things to friends, shouldn't we :)
But there is a problem , a language problem.
We Chinese people speak Chinese. But TP is an English TV Show which speaking English. So unless you can understand English , you can't enjoy the show.
Most people in China who love Auto don't know much English than Hello. So they just can't enjoy the show like me.
But there is one approach to solve the language problem.---------Translation.

If somebody ( like me) can translate the TG from English to Chinese , and produce a Chinese subtitle( like .srt file). then quite a lot Chinese people can watch the show . I mean hundreds of thousand people.

But there is one problem. My English skill is not good enough to listen to the TG show and just write down every word and translate to Chinese.

So I want guys here to help me, find a way to get the English subtitle of Top Gear. We can start from the newest Season 7 Episode 1.
Thanks a lot.
 
Manually typing up subtitles would be an awful lot of work.
The best would be to capture subtitles (provided the BBC broadcasts those), and then convert them to chinese using a translation program (which isn't going to be perfect).
 
Thanks, dude.

I can do the translation part. But I need the English subtitle first.
I'm in China not England. So I can't just CAPTURE the English subtitle provided by BBC. Anyone in England can help?

By the way. A lot of people in China really do what you call " awful lot of work". They are called Subtitle Team. What they do is listenning to the TV Series ( Like <24> or < Joey>) , writing down every word , then translating to Chinese , syncing the frame, at last making a Chinese subtitle.
If you can read chinese , go www.shooter.com.cn and take a look. There's tons of Chinese subtitle for Movies and TV Series.
 
neojohnson said:
I can do the translation part. But I need the English subtitle first.
I'm in China not England. So I can't just CAPTURE the English subtitle provided by BBC. Anyone in England can help?
Perhaps VUK, Overheat or others in England know if it is possible or not to get the subtitles.
I think having the subtitles available is useful for English speaking people too, since it could be used to search.
 
ESPNSTI said:
neojohnson said:
I can do the translation part. But I need the English subtitle first.
I'm in China not England. So I can't just CAPTURE the English subtitle provided by BBC. Anyone in England can help?
Perhaps VUK, Overheat or others in England know if it is possible or not to get the subtitles.
I think having the subtitles available is useful for English speaking people too, since it could be used to search.

Yeah, thanks. Maybe they can help me.

Also , I've got an idea that just go to TopGear and ask them to give a copy of subtitle of the episode.
Why not? Doing this do no harmness to TopGear but help it to promote the show to China which is a very big market for them.

Can it work?
 
wooflepoof said:
Your avatar is hot

Thank you , dude :D

Her Chinese name is LinZhiLing, and English name is ChiLing.She is the hottest super model in China ( including Taiwan) now. You can see her everywhere on TV Ads.

She is the No.1 beautiful girl in Taiwan.

There are lot of her pic on the website below, enjoy it.
http://ent.tom.com/xiezhen/linzhiling/
 
I need TP for my bunghooooole!!!
 
It's TG, btw.

I can type of the lines in my extra time, it won't have the times though. I may get my girlfriend to help me, she is a mad typist. Oh, and I'd be typing this in American English, by the way.

I doubt the BBC would help you get more people to illegally watch this show. The BBC is funded by British citizens and it wouldn't be fair for a ton of foriegners to be watching.

Edit: My email address is jtkellertx@gmail.com if you want to contact me.
I'm gonna start now actually on episode 1 season 7.
 
jtkellertx said:
It's TG, btw.

I can type of the lines in my extra time, it won't have the times though. I may get my girlfriend to help me, she is a mad typist. Oh, and I'd be typing this in American English, by the way.

I doubt the BBC would help you get more people to illegally watch this show. The BBC is funded by British citizens and it wouldn't be fair for a ton of foriegners to be watching.

Edit: My email address is jtkellertx@gmail.com if you want to contact me.
I'm gonna start now actually on episode 1 season 7.

Haha, it's my mistake. Of course it's TG.

Very appreciate for your help! and your girlfriend!
American English is good. At leat it's still English , isn't it :)

Yeah, I know it's difficult for BBC to support me. But in China , Internet is the ONLY way to watch such a good Auto Show. Maybe someyears later, BBC can come to China and get my watching fee:)

My Gmail is neojohnson@gmail.com. I'll reach you by email.
Thanks again, dude.
 
I gotta say your english is quite good! I know what you mean though, sometimes it's quite hard to understand what they mean, certain things just only make sense when you're a native speaker.
 
The show is subtitled with teletext, page 888 (for those who can watch TG on tv). No idea if there is software that can capture that.
 
dutch_designer said:
I gotta say your english is quite good! I know what you mean though, sometimes it's quite hard to understand what they mean, certain things just only make sense when you're a native speaker.

Thank you very much!!

Translation is not a easy job to do. Cause we are from different countries , growing up in different culture. But I will try my best.

Anything is better than nothing , isn't it ?
 
SPG900 said:
The show is subtitled with teletext, page 888 (for those who can watch TG on tv). No idea if there is software that can capture that.

Software can do anything beyond our imagination. So I think there must be a way to do that.

Even software can't capture sub. I'd rather type every word from TV screen.

But I can't. I'm not in England.

The good news is I've got help from here now.
 
I began manually adding Spanish subtitles to episode 3x06 last... March? February? Can't remember :p I've worked on it in my spare time since then, and I still have the Monaro segment to do. I'm planning on finishing it (just because I like to finish what I start) some day, but as you can see, it is a very tedious task. You have to make sure you understand what they're saying, translate it into your language and try to time everything as perfectly as possible, so that your "readers" don't miss a thing. And of course, there are things impossible to translate from English. Still, this is something I would love to have the time to do. Not everyone is fluent enough in English to watch Top Gear without help. Hey, I might go now and sub five minutes more :p
 
Z102 said:
I began manually adding Spanish subtitles to episode 3x06 last... March? February? Can't remember :p I've worked on it in my spare time since then, and I still have the Monaro segment to do. I'm planning on finishing it (just because I like to finish what I start) some day, but as you can see, it is a very tedious task. You have to make sure you understand what they're saying, translate it into your language and try to time everything as perfectly as possible, so that your "readers" don't miss a thing. And of course, there are things impossible to translate from English. Still, this is something I would love to have the time to do. Not everyone is fluent enough in English to watch Top Gear without help. Hey, I might go now and sub five minutes more :p

haha, seems that we have the same goal :)

I know it would be a tough job to do. But anyway , I will do it , not only praticing my English, also help people around.

I may not do a perfect translation. But anything is better than nothing, isn't it ?

:p
 
you can send his spanish subs through babblefish


and than correct of course
 
I'm Chinese, it's definitely nice to see another Chinese on the board. A lot of people on VeryCD are asking for Chinese sub version too, so it would be nice to make a sub version. I did some subbing for anime and such. It's actually not that hard to type from just listening. I can possibly help you typing out the script. However, I won't have time to do the translation. If you are interested, send me a PM.
 
Top