• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How do I fix my laptop

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
My laptop has several problems, the battery is dead and it's overheating, but that's not the most annoying thing.
Sometimes, if I touch the screen or close it down to acces the back, the lights go out, it doesn't flicker or anything, just turn of the lights.
If I'm in the right light I can still see whats on the screen, or I can take a flashlight and light a part of it up so I can find the "restart" button.
Then it restarts like nothing happend, the screen is fine.
Also if it happends and I can just leave it untill it goes into "energy-save-mode" and then just wake it up, and all is well.
How do I fix that?
The waranty has expired and I have no money, so I have to fix it myself.
Thanks in advance :)

It looks like bad power saving configurations, or some windows problem. I know it's a bit radical, but you seem the kind of person who can handle it: did you try a fresh install?

Oh Oh, I know I know... I have a laptop and have had some issues as well, could you try this out for me and let me know if it helps?

Take a BIG hammer, smash the computer with it as hard as you can. Do this a couple of times until you can see all the internals. At this point some petrol and matches are a good idea.

I am farely sure this will help! Well the computer wont work any better but the level of annoyance should decrease.

Let me know how it works out :p

bihus said:
It looks like bad power saving configurations, or some windows problem. I know it's a bit radical, but you seem the kind of person who can handle it: did you try a fresh install?

I have planned to do a fresh install sometime this summer, but I'm almost sure it wont work, because if it happends and I try to fix it the mean way (flipping the screen till the lights come back) it sometimes works, well 1 out of 20.

@mmap :lmao: I don't have a BIG hammer, will a baseball-bat work :p

^^ Well my plans are never set in stone, you are free to adabt as needed...

And BTW, remind to never be in the vicinity of your place, a girl with a baseball bat handily available is a somewhat scary concept ;)

How old is the laptop?
What brand is it?
What are the specs:

mgkdk said:
bihus said:

I have planned to do a fresh install sometime this summer, but I'm almost sure it wont work, because if it happends and I try to fix it the mean way (flipping the screen till the lights come back) it sometimes works, well 1 out of 20.

@mmap :lmao: I don't have a BIG hammer, will a baseball-bat work :p

Ok, then. If nothing works, mmap's idea might. :mrgreen:

Militant-Grunt said:
How old is the laptop?
What brand is it?
What are the specs:

A little over 2 years
Notebook
P4 2,4 ghz, 512 ram, 20 gb harddisk, 15.1" screen

mmap said:
And BTW, remind to never be in the vicinity of your place, a girl with a baseball bat handily available is a somewhat scary concept ;)

:shifty:

Sounds like you've got an issue with your LCD backlight. Either a bad connection, or the backlight is just wearing out. The fact that you can shine a flashlight on the screen and see what's on it means that the LCD itself is still working, just the part that lights it up for you to see is not.

Sadly, a dying backlight is not often something you can fix yourself. However, if it's just a bad connection, you might be able to disassemble your laptop (DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!) and find the offending connection. Then do whatever needs to be done to fix it!

That was sort of what I thought it would be.
So if it's a bad connection wouldn't it be most likely to be where it "bends"?

Yes, it would most likely be where the wires going to the LCD panel come through the hinge and into the body of the laptop. There might be an easy way into them, there might not be. It all depends on the make of laptop! :)

Now I know what to do tomorrow :D
Thanks

you can always go to a computer store and flash ur tities.. am sure many will be glad to help you then :p for free too.

^ :lmao:

this also happened to my sony viao laptop... never got around to fixing it... sony said that it was the screen that failed or whatever b/s that they said. i gave up and got a new comp.

A little status-report.
I took the laptop apart today, but couldn't find any lose wires or anything suspicius, I did find a screw ratteling in the bottom, so now I have 3 extra screws :unsure: maybe I should try and find where they belong.
The positive thing is that I didn't brake anything :D

But you didn't fix anything either, eh?

Very well could be the backlight just going out, or a loose connection somewhere in the plastic casing that is around the screen itself. I'm guessing it's going to be an expensive fix, regardless, unless you can find a junker on ebay and pull the screen off of it.

Well no, I didn't fix anything.
Maybe it's better just to leave it as it is, it's only a problem if I want to close the screen down or put anything in the usb-slots and now I have a usb-hub.

Yeah, from my personal previous experience, it does sound like your backlight is giving up. As ranger dood suggested the only fix (if it's no loose connections) is to get a laptop of similar specifications that has had a motherboard died or something similar and use the screen off that as a donor screen. Either replace the whole screen or just replace the backlight (this would be a bit more complicated). The screen cable (this is the one that will have come loose) is a thin ribbon cable.
Don't even bother trying to get a new replacement backlight tube from the manufacturer of your laptop - they will often want to charge more than the laptop itself is worth.

I have seen a laptop where the screen's ribbon cable got caught in the screen hinge it was wrapped around causing it to be pulled out slightly - again causing backlight problems. You say that you checked the connections already in the laptop, if it's not too much of a large job it may be worth opening the screen to ensure the ribbon cable and backlight plugs are also still well inserted...

Best of luck, though backup before you do anything!!!

I honestly think a fresh install will fix the problem, and if it doesn't my guess is that the starter might be having troubles (if you take a closer look at a regular fluo light arrangement you will find a small white cylinder sticking out on one end of the armature which starts the bulb obviously. :) If that little thing brakes you get problems such as yours or in a milder case the light just flickers like in some horror movie (yes, thats why the lights flicker in the horror movies: bad starter :)

The overheating problem can be solved easily if you dismantle your laptop and clean the fan. How to do this really depends on the kind of laptop you have. Here are some examples:
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Systems/ASUS-L5GA-Notebook-Review/4/
http://www.myplc.com/sony/laptop_disassembly_and_processor.htm

About the battery...mine is all but dead after two years as well. No cure but buying a new one.

Hope this helps. :wave: