• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How do you clean your Laptop screen?

pdanev

Forum Addict
i am alway very vareful when it comes to my laptop screen, but when im @ university or so, people just come and go and dont give a shit, touching scraching etc etc :x

my screen looks like a piece of crap, fingerprints, food rests, and all kind of weird spots/stains that i can get rid of :(

normally i use a paper tissue or sth like that to clean it, but it doesnt solve much apart from the dust.

on my previous laptop i tried once regular monitor cleaning tissues, which was a mistake that im not gonna repeat again.

what do you recommened for laptop screens? i want my screen all nice and clean without fingerprints etc. the cheaper the solution, the better... :)

Way to help out Ren ... :roll:

Is an LCD screen cleaned the same way as a laptop screen, when needed.
If so, I too, would like to know someone else's answer. ;)

i just use a towel and water lol.. very clean :)

but i never really needed anything better.. i make it a point for people to not touch my laptop at school

I have a product that I bought from Apple for my powerbook called iKlear which works quite well. Granted I spent a lot of money on my laptop, so I invested in good cleaning supplies.

pdanev, for a start, you shouldn't even let people touch your laptop screen :mrgreen: , but for my LCD screen, I just take a dry cloth (to wipe out dust), then I just soak the cloth with a tiny bit of water and wipe on the screen, after that, just take a tissue and wipe off the water, but I'm not sure it works for fingerprints though, cuz no one has ever touched my laptop screen since I got my laptop

Yep, I just use a wet tissue, or kitchen paper (don't know what it's called), and a dry one, to keep the drying marks away.

Dishwasher, without the dry cycle.....

DON'T DO IT. :lol: :lol:

Windex or some other glass cleaner?

I bought some of these LCD Wipes for my mums laptop and they did shit to clean up the screen :thumbsdown: I dunno, put it in the dishwasher perhaps :roll:
btw dont mind Renesis- he needs a gf badly :lol:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
I dunno, put it in the dishwasher perhaps :roll:

Actually thats the best way to clean computer keyboards (ones without speakers). As long as you let it dry completely, it should work perfectly fine. I have washed my USB Keyboards a couple of times and they came out perfectly clean and the keyboards still work to this day :-D.

hokiethang said:
Actually thats the best way to clean computer keyboards (ones without speakers). As long as you let it dry completely, it should work perfectly fine. I have washed my USB Keyboards a couple of times and they came out perfectly clean and the keyboards still work to this day :-D.
Seriously ? *amused at the idea*

I guess the one at the restaurant would be a little too hardcore for it though and I don't have one at home. :cry:

If you have access to a mild alcoholic solution, use that. At work, I use methanol quite a bit when cleaning optics for lasers. When my laptop screen gets dirty, I take a non-linting cloth (doesn't leave any residue), dab it in some methanol, and wipe. It's an alcohol, so it evaporates quickly, and isn't abrasive, so your screen is fine. Works great for me :thumbsup:

Roman said:
hokiethang said:
Seriously ? *amused at the idea*

I guess the one at the restaurant would be a little too hardcore for it though and I don't have one at home. :cry:

Yeah a restaurant grade one hasn't been tested, but the regular home dishwasher works just fine. I would also suggest turning off the drying capabilities of the dishwasher. A co-worker suggested it to me when I was complaining about how dirty the keyboards at work were, and I tried it on one of those (knowing that if it fucked it up I could deny responsibility for it) and it worked perfectly, even helped in making the button travel smoother. I definitely suggest only doing regular wired keyboards though, no wireless or special keyboards (USB hub onboard seems to be ok).

I did a little research on the subject a while ago, and I found a site that suggested a 50:50 mixture between Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. I've been using it ever since and it works like a charm. Total costs for 2L of that mixture are about 2,50?.

Buy some of those micro fiber thingys and apply it with that.

I'm relatively new to LCD screens (just got my 17" NEC LCD about a week ago), so no need to clean it yet. I did however ask my friends that have had LCDs for a while how they clean them, and all of them said that using damp tissue paper, and then dry tissue paper works best.

However, ever since I got the LCD I forbid people from touching it.

thanks guys, gonna try some of the suggested methods ;)

as for making it clear for people not to touch it, i always do, and i think its rather easy to tell apart the keyboard from the screen. but for some reason people always manage to mess it up. i go away for a few minutes, and next thing i see is food and fingerprints all over my screen :x :bangin:

Yeah I hate that too, my friends come over and they are always touching my screen whenever I'm playing a game or whatnot, it pisses me off.