How do you cure insomnia?

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
For the past 6 months or more I've never slept properly. Yesterday for example I slept at 5 in the morning and woke up at 9. I know why I do as well but I can't help it.

The reason is just a whole lot of stress, unanswered questions, missing home, missing parents. I know I've been here for 4.5 years and I should be used to being away from home but sometimes you just don't get used to it I guess.

Anyway I have a long day at school tomorrow. I gotta be up at 8 for class at 9:30-11. Then I have class from 2:30-5. Discussion from 5-6 and then Infrared lab from 6-midnight. I should have gone to sleep 2 hours ago but I can't. I can't stop getting stresses and thoughts out of my head.

What's the best cure for insomnia? I know the permanent solution would be to finish up here at Berkeley and go back home, but obviously I can't do that for a few months.

Watch the European F1 GP from Valencia? :p

But seriously, I imagine Berkeley would have counsellors that you can talk to about this - it sounds like you need to work your way through the issues causing the insomnia, that's the only way to really solve it.

Bah those guys don't understand anything. They give some default response man, most of the time you have to cure yourself.

I'm just talking about temporary solutions. Outside of taking sleeping pills or something, I'm guessing warm milk would do the trick?

^ Well, if it's a temporary solution you want, see my initial response, it's guaranteed to do the trick.

Reactions: LP
Bah those guys don't understand anything. They give some default response man, most of the time you have to cure yourself.

I'm just talking about temporary solutions. Outside of taking sleeping pills or something, I'm guessing warm milk would do the trick?

I guess you could just catch up on some work until you get sleepy, but yeah basically a hot and creamy beverage should do the trick.

What I do is listen to a Simpsons episode I have watched a million times. Play it with the video off, it will distract your mind and allow you to sleep. Make sure you are familiar with whatever you are listening to otherwise you will want to actually watch it and try to stay awake.

I wouldn't call 4 hours particularly lacking in sleep. I usually only get 5 hours myself.

Smoke/Drink yourself into a coma, the best cure for insomnia.

I sleep like a baby every night.

Last edited:
Yeah, get a beer or two, or go to bed early with a book. That will take your mind of of things.
Got the same as you, although not quite as bad...

If nothing helps, talk to somebody you feel comfortable with.

I'm having the same problem for years now... my solution is to stay awake. Anything else doesn't work. And u get used to sleeping 3-4 hours a day without any problems at day. At least for me... might not work for others.
Yah, try to do some enduring sport. Just a few situps won't help.

alcohol works for me.. just have some work-out during the day (running, tennis, etc) then have a beer or two with your dinner and you'll sleep like a baby.
Alcohol works, because you essentially forget all your problems, which are causing your stress and not letting you fall asleep. But careful, don't become an alcoholic! :)

There is none :<

I've not had any luck with (non-prescription, over-the-counter) sleeping pills or aids.

The only thing that has worked is getting some exercise in - an hour's swim or whatever. I realise that isn't practical much of the time.

Try to completely clear your mind as you lay in bed, also it doesn't hurt to be tired when you are trying to sleep.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/redbull/2008/09/02/800px-2002-2004_Toyota_Camry_2.jpg

Print it off, and stick it somewhere handy. If you're still having trouble, have a glance through this:

*warning: guaranteed to induce drowsiness. Do not view if intending to operate heavy machinery

In September 2001, the Toyota Camry was released as a larger sedan (taking styling cues from the successful Vitz, Corolla, and Solara) only, but without a station wagon for the first time. Due to station wagons losing popularity to minivans and crossover SUVs, the Camry wagon was replaced by the Toyota Sienna minivan (in North America only) and the Toyota Highlander SUV, both vehicles utilizing the Camry's platform.

The front end of the car was relatively short, leaving a great deal of the length to the cabin, a technique adopted by compact cars. In contrast to the fairly squat fifth generation Camry, the sixth generation was a decidedly tall vehicle. It was 2.5 in (64 mm) taller and had a 2 in (51 mm) longer wheelbase than the previous model.

In the United States, the basic CE model was dropped for 2002 and the SE sport model was reintroduced. Both the LE and SE models were available with a manual transmission when equipped with the four-cylinder engine. Any model could be equipped with a V6 or an automatic transmission, although the manual transmission was not available on V6 models.[6] The Camry XLE had an engine that was equipped with a drive-by-wire throttle.

Until the 2003 model year, the Camry Solara remained on the sixth generation chassis, and received only minor styling upgrades to the front and rear ends. However, the Solara did receive the same 2.4 L 2AZ-FE VVT-i I4 engine that was available on the Camry sedan.

The second generation Camry Solara was introduced in 2003 as a 2004 model. Again, styling from the Camry was radically different, taking design cues from the Lexus SC430. The 2.4 L VVT-i engine was still offered, however, a new 3.3 L VVT-i V6 was optional. The Solara also received the new 5-speed automatic transmission the sedan was given. In addition to the SE and SLE trims, a new SE Sport was offered. Unlike the first generation Solara, the SLE trim could be had with the four-cylinder engine.[7]

In late 2004, the 2005 Camry was introduced with new upgrades such as a chrome grille (though the SE had a sportier grille), new headlight and taillight designs, redesigned front bumper, and new wheels. A new base trim level was added, which was priced lower than the Camry LE. Interior upgrades to the Camry included a rear center head restraint, a storage bin in the door, Optitron gauges, steering wheel-mounted audio controls standard for all trim levels, and standard leather seating on V6-powered XLEs. A 5-speed automatic transmission was now available on both the V6 and I4 engines; the I4 engine receiving the new transmission for the 2005 model year.

Daihatsu continued with its twin Altis model for the Japanese market. The second generation Altis was introduced September 2001, and was available with the 2AZ-FE 2.4 L 4 cylinder engine. Visually, the Altis is very similar to the JDM Toyota Camry with the 4 cylinder engine.

...Yes, I know, but it had to be done :cool:

Two words... Rubber Mallet. :D

Honestly, I think the workout/physical activity solution is the best. If you have an hour or so to spare, whether it's the school gym, or a run around the block or something to that degree, it really helps you a) clear your mind, b) get you, or keep you in shape, c) refresh yourself.

There's no better feeling than having a shower, and a nice meal after that, post workout. The sleep you get afterwords is just phenomenal.

I think the best way to cure insomnia is several hours of sweaty sex - what follows is the sleep of legends.

Or warm milk or something if you're not up to it.