How do you like the new Mercedes "Matrix" ? ;)

Roman

Resident Skydiver
Car(s)
Boring '02 Accent.
The new B-Class:
B_gal-015.jpg

Weird. When I saw the ad on TV, I thought it would be more like the ptCruiser since Daimler & Chrysler are partners but they went the Toyota way about it.

Matrix:
03matrix1.jpg

The headlights, the window's shape, the front grille, ALL the general styling basically.

First time I heard about a B-Class tonight and while watching the TV ad I was wondering...
the A-Class ? In North America ?? A redesign of the A-Class ???

The ad worked. It got me out of my show and onto the web to find out more about it.

Price is about the same as an 06 GT ptCruiser but power in the B-Class Turbo is less at 193 hp. and 206 lb-ft of torque.

Interesting new entry in a market segment getting more and more crowded. :think:

Paying for the Mercedes badge. That's it.

it sucks so does the A-class. they are over-priced, even in their price category. :thumbsdown:

The Toyota looks alot nicer. B-Class is a stupid thing. I can see why they introduced the R-Class, but stretched A-Class? S.T.U.P.I.D!

Carbage

Ok... so all of you so far don't like it. But what do you think of the similarities with the Toyota and the unlikeliness with the Chrysler in the same market ?

Strikes me that it so much ressembles the Matrix.
Size, power, even price, are all very closely comparable with the Matrix. :?

But what market segment is this? Does this car really have that much more space than a hatchback or station wagon? I can see it having more headroom than your average car, but due to it's short overall length, there would be a compromise between carrying passengers and cargo.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the point.

You might not know this but im biased to Mercs....I CAN defend the new A-Class cos I think its a very practicle car and one of the cheapest 5-star safety rated cars on the market. The quality of the buttons and everything is great - lifted out of E-Class and so on...

As for the B-Class, I dont see the point in it. Leave the mini MPV to brands like Toyota, Honda Citroen and Renault. Not FIAT though (Multipla :lol: ).

From the reviews i'v read, most people cant really justify why you'd pay so much more for something thats an A-Class +20% size.

I've seen those new B-Classes here, they don't look anything like Matrix, but really useless car i must say.

Mercedes shouldn't build A, B and R-Class. IMO

TBH I don't see them as looking amazingly alike - though it's all a bit relative since lots of cars have similar overall design themes these days. I can see where you're coming from with thinking they're very similar, but I don't think it's too bad.

Sorry Roman, but they're nothing alike. The grille is a distinct Mercedes feature and the rest is a more or less successful A-Class evolution. Like I said in another thread, it seems to be the latest hype around here labeling cars as Japanese lookalikes (Especially Mercedes). I'm still not convinced that there's any substance to it, seeing how their car design always seemed rather Euro inspired. ;)

I think MB is producing way too many models. It can't be good for profit when you spread out your resources like that!

Most of the models seem redundant or plain pointless.

If you look at the market of MB buyers, they are mostly poser that buy that badge. Most of the Mercs are lower end "320" engined models instead of the higher end "500" or "600" ones anyways. It shows how little they care about performance and how much they care about the brand name.

I have a feeling that people will want to buy an MPV with a Mercedes-Benz badge. You can't carry around your family in your SLK320, but you can in your new B-class! And your reputation won't change one bit!

Roman said:
Ok... so all of you so far don't like it. But what do you think of the similarities with the Toyota and the unlikeliness with the Chrysler in the same market ?

Nothing against you specifically, but these "Car X looks exactly like car y!!!1" posts appear all the time at any car forum, and as an aspiring car designer, frankly they make me sick. I've seen everything be compared to everything else, (mostly at the pit of stupidity that are the Autoweek Forums, and it gives no credit to the designers who try so hard to introduce some flair into their focus-grouped designs while trying to preserve some of the brand's heritage and distinctive traits. Sure, the headlights are similar, but both have sloping rooflines? Please, sir, give me a break!

The small Merc is disastrous to everything Benz has stood for in the past. Going downmarket has been and will further continue to be a disaster to them.

Renesis said:
Looks like shit, give me an A3 over this any day!

Same here

'Came across one on the road this weekend. :shock:

If I thought they looked alike in pics/TV, I must say I was shocked at how much different they look like in real life. :eek:

I am not impressed by the bigger A-Class kind of a vehicle that is.
And you should have seen the snob look I got from driver & passenger when I went by them in my pt with the turbo whistling. :lol:

It's everything my pt isn't: expensive, underpowered and its badge is its biggest asset.
Once again, I'll keep my ride. 8)

Anyone got good snow tires in the 195/65R15 size I could buy for cheap ? ;)

Roman said:

no not really. the B-class looks just like any other wagon/hatch, except longer.

I tested it at the RMB Tour. Roman, if you haven't attended, you should sign up =).

Basically, it's the launch of the B, R and M Classes and you get to try them out at a closed course.

I tested both the B200 and B200 Turbo. The Turbo version was hard to modulate. CVT + turbo = :thumbsdown: I would strongly suggest the manual transmission instead and save yourself Cdn$2,000. Also, that car went into safe mode half way through the course. Had to restart the car. No idea what happened, all I know is all the warning lights came on and I lost power. Also, the accelerator was hard to modulate. Power was either all out or super strong engine braking. (maybe I accidentally selected 1st gear in "S" mode???)

The B200 is better and doesn't seem as underpowered as the 134hp suggest. Of course, take the manual and the turbo for all out fun.

The problem is the B-Class is that it's pathetically equipped. 4-way manual front seats? no height adjustment? no leather (only on turbo and an option). CVT is $2,000 (what a rip). Want telescoping steering wheel? $235. Alarm? $1,000. Oh and it's FWD.

I'd say, save up more money and go for a "real" Benz :bangin: