How do you like your meat?

How do you like your meat?

• Total voters
Generally Medium or Medium Rare for steak, anything else it's medium and up.

medium and up. Don't really like it when the animal in question is still bleeding all over my plate

The chances of getting a steak that will cause you to be sick are very, very, very, very, very slim. It's much more likely to happen with something like a hamburger or meat loaf. Bacteria tends to stay on the outside surface of the meat. When you grind it up, you distribute that bacteria throughout the meat. On a steak, though, it typically stays on the surface where it's immediately killed upon contact with the grill or a searing-hot pan.

Typically, the choice of whether or not to serve meat products below a certain temperature is the restaurant's. They might choose to cook all steaks to a minimum temp of 145*F to minimize risk of legal action should someone claim to have been poisoned by an undercooked steak. Even if the claims are illegitimate, it can cause a huge hassle that the restaurant might want to simply avoid altogether.

I've never heard of a state that regulated cooking temperatures of food. Guidelines, yes. Regulations, no. Technically you can serve Steak Tartare or Carpaccio if you wish. I'd like to see some information to back up your claim that I quoted above.

perhaps "fact" was too strong a phrase. I was told in no uncertain terms at a steak place in ohio that this was state health regulation. So that was the impression I was operating under. I didn't look this up myself.

I like it rare-mediumrare. But I voted for rare, because If I had to choose, it'd be the rare steak.

I once went to a high end resturant that said on the menu, "we'll cook you're steak how you want it, aslong as it's less than meduim" it was pretty funny. I don't know how anyone can like their steak cooked past medium.

I like it rare-mediumrare. But I voted for rare, because If I had to choose, it'd be the rare steak.

I once went to a high end resturant that said on the menu, "we'll cook you're steak how you want it, aslong as it's less than meduim" it was pretty funny. I don't know how anyone can like their steak cooked past medium.

Yeah, then again, if people want to eat a plank of wood, let them ;)

For steak I go for the rare side of Medium-rare, same with lamb.
Burgers I like it medium.
Pork and poultry I like cooked so it's not pink, but not dried out.

Edit:
Fish - Sashimi, Sushi or perfectly cooked without it getting dry and flaky or chewy. Squid is notoriously hard to cook properly, the tiniest bit too long on the heat and it's like trying to eat a Michelin.

Last edited:
It depends.
Beef: as rare as possible. Carpaccio is appreciated.
Poultry: well-cooked but not dry. Pink poultry makes me nauseous.
Lamb and pork: Medium
Fish: nothing but raw. I can't stand cooked fish.

There is a saying, that the hunt is not over till the quarry's heart has been ripped from its chest and eaten steaming and raw.

While I agree with the sentiment in general, I prefer meat medium well done.

^ Pussy :p

I'm disappointed by the lack of penis jokes.

I really only red meat in the form of burgers, and in that case its Medium-rare. I had no idea i liked it until i split a burger with somebody who usually ate rare meat (father actually), after that i've been a die hard Medium rare fan. If i could handle the site of pinkish meat i might even go rare, but M.R. already tastes knee-shakingly good.

Chicken is good as rare as it can be without being pink at all. I've had food piosening from undercooked chicken (father again) and that kinda ruins any extra tenderness.

i chose rare but i usually order it blue. The joke among my friends is that i would like a steak cooked by waving a poloroid of a fire underneath it.

Exactly how I would like my steak. A steak cooked by waving a cigarette lighter under it.

Way easier to digest.

I completely forgot about steak tartare and carpaccio, I like these too. But when it comes to normal steaks, I don't want them to be completely raw inside, just pink. Basically, I either want raw meat or cooked meat, not some hybrids.

Well Done only!! I'd feel sick even If I see a bit of Pink.

I like mine well done. Not necessarily because I don't like it more rare, but because I'm used to having it well done, and I like it that way. And I don't exactly like the thought of eating blood that isn't my own anyway. :lol: