How does the Nanny State...

klutch

Courteous urinator
Car(s)
Do it for me.
...produce guys with balls the size of watermelons?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7321647.stm

Marine threw himself onto grenade

L/Cpl Matt Croucher suffered only shock and a bloodied nose
A Royal Marine who threw himself onto an exploding grenade to save the lives of his patrol has been put forward for the UK's highest military honour.

Lance Corporal Matt Croucher, 24, a reservist from Birmingham, survived because his rucksack and body armour took the force of the blast.

He was part of a reconnaissance troop in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in February, when the incident happened.

The Ministry of Defence said he could be considered for the Victoria Cross.

Bloodied nose

A spokesman said L/Cpl Croucher's comrades had made a citation to their commanding officer and officers were now considering whether to put his name forward for the honour.

L/Cpl Croucher, a member of 40 Commando, had been searching a compound south of Sangin which was suspected as being used for making bombs to attack British and Afghan troops.

When a Taleban booby-trap grenade was tripped, L/Cpl Croucher jumped on to the device to absorb the force of the explosion with his backpack as his comrades dived for cover.

The blast blew his rucksack more than 30ft away but he remarkably suffered only severe shock and a bloodied nose in the incident.

Didn't I just read an article here about a British soldier who engaged one hundred insurgents with only his Hummer's 40mm, by himself.

How does the nanny state produce guys with balls the size of watermelons?

Because we're not all evil, vote-pandering, transparent, jelly-legged politicians.

The man is, without doubt, a hero. I'd love to shake his hand and buy him a pint. Since that's unlikely to happen, I'll just say that his Victoria Cross nomination is deserved.

But what if he sets a bad example for the rest of his troops?! How can we award such a bad role model with the Cross?!!!!

/nanny state :p

No kidding....was he at least wearing a high-vis vest at the time?

No kidding....was he at least wearing a high-vis vest at the time?

Obviously. A high-vis can withstand the force of a thousand armies, the railtrack Orange ones even more. A granade? Pah!

But what if he sets a bad example for the rest of his troops?! How can we award such a bad role model with the Cross?!!!!

Oh, I know - just wait until Health and Safety hear about this!

"During all times of war, grenades should be kept with the pin in, and most certainly not thrown.
Guns should always be kept with the safety on, pointed at the ground, and with a large orange condom over the trigger.
Over their camouflage jackets, soldiers should wear a high-visibility jacket.
Before engaging in any kind of combat, soldiers must go through the O-C.O.C.K. process - Observe the area, Check weapons, Open trigger guard, Check for friendlies, Kill other people."

Before engaging in any kind of combat, soldiers must go through the O-C.O.C.K. process - Observe the area, Check weapons, Open trigger guard, Check for friendlies, Kill other people."

:lol:

You reminded me i need to call my friend who just got back from Iraq. During a training mission in boot camp he jumped on the grenade :) One of those weird things i would have never guessed about him, as he is persona is more representative of the regular Camaro driving, bar-hopping, goof ball that you may briefly see streaking through the main street of your town.

A better man than I, and more resilient too.

Now that's a proper bloke. He definitely deserves some sort of award for that sort of bravery.

Didn't I just read an article here about a British soldier who engaged one hundred insurgents with only his Hummer's 40mm, by himself.

Well he was with the British Army so it was a Land Rover not a Hummer.

http://forums.finalgear.com/off-topic/brit-soldier-takes-on-150-taliban-they-started-it-25897/

gmgcover.jpg