• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How fast have you ever gone?

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
This was split from this thread.

what's the highest allowed speed in america? someone told me it's only 60mph, but that seems a little slow to me...

bone said:
what's the highest allowed speed in america? someone told me it's only 60mph, but that seems a little slow to me...
The highest I've seen is 75 on an interstate, but granted, I haven't been too far from Iowa.
I believe that in Montana they didn't have a speed limit, but they might have repealed that.

You can usually get away driving about 10mph over the speed limit, which is 55mph most places.

Hi!

I've been to the USA very often and somehow I like it, but those speed limits would probably prevent me from moving there! :wink:

Here in Germany the limits are as follows...
city: usually 50km/h (31 miles/h)
outside cities (country roads): usually 100km/h (62 miles/h)
autobahn (freeway): the recommended speed is 130 (80 miles/h), everywere. Limits vary from less than that (for example because of road works) to unrestricted (open end :D )

You get away driving 20 km/h (12miles/h) over the speed limit, from then on it may have consequences for your license.

cya
Oli

I moved here from the Netherlands, and even though the speed limits in the Netherlands are generally higher, I get from one place to another in the US much faster, because of the lack of traffic jams and speed cameras.
But compared to Germany's autobahn, that's obviously not the case.
However when I was travelling in Germany, I spent most of the time on country roads.

I wouldn't mind having autobahn speeds here, but for a lot of people that wouldn't matter I think because most roads are country roads.
People don't seem to check their mirrors too well here, both when driving in the left lane and when changing lanes.
If the same people were to drive on the autobahn in Germany, they'd get creamed :evil: .

Generally, I do a bit more than 10 over the speed limit. :twisted:

ESPNSTI said:
I wouldn't mind having autobahn speeds here, but for a lot of people that wouldn't matter I think because most roads are country roads.
People don't seem to check their mirrors too well here, both when driving in the left lane and when changing lanes.
If the same people were to drive on the autobahn in Germany, they'd get creamed :evil: .
:twisted:

a true texan never ever uses the lights to change lanes.......couple of days back from austin to dallas ( about 210 miles)... i saw a fully loaded big rig over take me when i was going 85 mph....and saw a grand total of 8 driver use turn lights to change lanes.

so its a no brainer that we dont have autobahns

If the same people were to drive on the autobahn in Germany, they'd get creamed

That's another thing I noticed while I was in Germany, the lane discipline is incredible.

Slower trafic always keeps to the right hand lane, in the UK, we get volvos cruising in the fast lane and there's no way past, it's like a rolling roadblock.

In Spain, it isn't much of a problem, we just "undertake" them :)

justin syder said:
theres a song by Rammstein -"Ich Will"

Good song - Rammstein is a good band, I like their music, even if I don't understand the lyrics. Best ever is Freur Frei (sp?). I loved that song....have you ever watched XXX with Vin Deisel? Nevermind the movie, that opening scene in the German club was great.....

As far as speed limits go, where I live it's:

50 km/h in town (60 - 65 is normal to drive)
80 km/h in country (90 - 100 is normal to drive)
100 km/h on highway (120 - 135 is normal)

I agree about the crappy road manners around here.......they suck. I've never been to Europe, but I definitely intend to go sometime, and I'll have to visit the Autobahn....in the fast lane, of course :)

On the side, what is the fastest you ever drove (yourself behind the wheel) and in what car, and where?

For me , the fastest I drove was 195 km/h through Toronto in my Civic.

160mph (~260km/h) on a long straight country road without side streets, driveway, houses or anything like that in a Pontiac Firebird.
But to be honest I don't care too much about going fast in a straight line, I like corners a lot more.

On the side, what is the fastest you ever drove (yourself behind the wheel) and in what car, and where?

(I feel a new thread coming on...)

Now there's a story...

Once upon a time, I went to pick up my sister and a freind from Manchester airport at 3 o'clock in the morning.

I was in my dad's Rover Vitesse (3.5 V8 EFi 190bhp)

On the M62, just before Huddersfield there's a downhill streight, I got it upto 130 mph, it was my record at the time (I was 18 8).)

The next day I went out into the drive and the car's front right tyre was completely FLAT, can't imagine what would have happened if i'd had a blow out at 130.

Didn't stop me though, I recently got my Corrado up to 210 kph (130mph) in fourth :D

I've gone 100 MPH in rush hour traffic with my uncle. That was fucking scary - he got inches from people going 50 MP slower than us... :shock:

Viper007Bond said:
I've gone 100 MPH in rush hour traffic with my uncle. That was fucking scary - he got inches from people going 50 MP slower than us... :shock:

was a death wish involved in the incident :shock:

Hi!

The fastest I ever drove was 210 km/h (130 miles/h) in my '96 Polo, it was on the Autobahn (downhill). On a straight my car does only 195 km/h (121 miles/h).
ESPNSTI said:
But to be honest I don't care too much about going fast in a straight line, I like corners a lot more.
I'm going through corners at the same speed. 8)

Btw, the fastest I ever went while sitting in a car but not driving myself was about 280 km/h (173 miles/h) and there were bends too. :wink:
It was an Audi RS4, the father of a friend of mine used to have one. He was allwoed to drive it everytime his father didn't need it, basically the whole weekend. :mrgreen:

imillman said:
That's another thing I noticed while I was in Germany, the lane discipline is incredible.

Slower trafic always keeps to the right hand lane)

You think so??
Maybe it's even worse elsewhere but I hate those moving road blocks too! :x

For example we were doing about 260 km/h (161 miles/h) in the RS4 on the almost empty Autobahn at 1 am and than a car pulled over - with no reason - which was doing about 130 km/h (80 miles/h). :shock:

cya
Oli

hmm bout 180kmh with my uncle driving his new Saab 9-3...

he didn't want to push it because he had only 55km on it.

He's coming back tonight.. maybe I'll get another ride.. I'm sure he tried the topspeed of it already :lol:

myself i've driven a max speed of 160 kmh, yihaa (top speed of that damn car :mad:)

the fastest while someone else was driving was about 215 kmh (audi A4 1.9TDI, they do reach this speed :shock: )

and the fastest i've been is 240kmh on the back of a friends fireblade (that's pretty fast if you're not sitting IN sth, and not in control yourself)

or do airplanes also count? :p

well i ve yet to touch triple digits in mph ...but the fastest i ve been is 95 mph on the indian nation turnpike in oklahoma..with my mom,dad,sister and aunty and full boot....and i had got my licence 3 weeks earlier :D

my parents now fear me when i am in the drivers seat.

Ya. I have gotten up to 100mph. But, I want to go faster. Really test the top speed on my car. It will probably go to 135, but it "supposidly" has a 119 mph limiter. We will see... :D

MPower said:
Ya. I have gotten up to 100mph. But, I want to go faster. Really test the top speed on my car. It will probably go to 135, but it "supposidly" has a 119 mph limiter. We will see... :D

did you post pics of it already?

I really like the 3! what a nce stylish little car! 8) they sell like hotcakes here just like the protege before which was the best selling car in the province

Renesis said:
MPower said:

I really like the 3! what a nce stylish little car! 8) they sell like hotcakes here just like the protege before which was the best selling car in the province

the mazda3 is a sweet car and cheap too i like the sedan better than the hatchback though :D

M5Rangerover said:
Renesis said:
MPower said:

the mazda3 is a sweet car and cheap too i like the sedan better than the hatchback though :D

me too! but most people prefer the "sport" aka the wagon/hatch one