• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How get these Videos to work on a home-DVDplayer?

Faultier

Hi there,
I?m not quite sure if this is the right place to ask but its also sort of a problem.
I donloaded the files and they are mostly avi or mpg files.
How I get them to work on my DVD-player?
I like to burn some Top Gear episodes on a DVD so I can watch them on my TV 8)

Which format should I convert them to?
What programms do I need?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Thanks for help :)

Yeah, there are several ways of playing avi/mpeg files on tv. One way is to convert the files from mpeg/avi to vob files so you can play on a standard dvdplayer (which is sorta time consuming if you want to convert your entire TG/FG library). Another is to purchase a dvdplayer that can also play divx (as suggested above).

A brute force way (the way I'm using) is to download the vids to a laptop (which should have an audio/video out); and then connecting the laptop to your receiver which is connected to your tv. I have my receiver connected to a 42 plasma; and it looks good. Most of the time I just watch on my comp screen though; I'm just too lazy to do all of the above! lol Hope this helps.

Thanks 26y :)
I don?t have a Laptop but tell which programm can convert avi/mpg to vob?
I just have a Pioneer DVD-Player which is quite cool so converting the files will be the own way to watch it on TV.

Faultier said:
I just have a Pioneer DVD-Player which is quite cool so converting the files will be the own way to watch it on TV.

IIRC zenon has a lot of the Top Gear episodes on DVD so that he can watch them on his TV. He may be able to provide some insight on the way it works. I personally watch them on my TV with a media center PC :-\ which doesn't help much.

check out www.download.com & do a keysearch for dvd convert

I personally use winavi video converter vs 5.5 Another good program is winmpg video convert. PM me your email & I'll send you the pgm w/ reg keys if you'd like.

Faultier said:

All you need is Nero Vision Express, it does it in one click and even burns it for you.

Alerternately you can use TMPGenc DVD Author, another one click app, it will create the vob files, and using Nero/dvd burning app, you can just burn the vobs and play them on the dvd player.

I was going to do this (did some), but went out and got a DVD/MPEG-4 (divx/xvid) player and it solved all my problems. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip TechZ! I didn't even know Nero allows you to do that; & I have the program!! lol

Yeah; I think the easiest way is to get a divx/xvid compatible dvd player.

Thanks guys. I?m pretty happy with my Pioneer DVD-player so I won?t replace it.
26y you got mail ;)

Anyway. Watching Top Gear on TV via DVDplayer and while eating something is much better than watching it on the monitor :mrgreen:

Faultier- u got mail back!

actually, a 45 min 350mb avi file after converted to vob will be a little over 2.0 gb; so you can really fit only 2 episodes of TG.

I put 45 minute eps (SG1, Lost etc.) and using Nero Vision I get 3 eps onto a standard DVD no problem.

I'd love to find out how to change the standard 8mbit encoding with Nero Vision to say 4mbit and fit on twice as much.

Edit: I just dumped 4 x 45minute Smallville eps onto a DVD-RW and it actually displayed a message saying that it will fit onto a DVD-9 format disk (I have a dual layer Pioneer 108), but I could click "yes" to reincode at a smaller rate to fit onto a standard disk. SWEETT!! Trying it now!

Yeah, its just a shame you have to use sooo much more space for the same quality... I put my Lost, 24 and everything else on DVDs as well. But I get 12 eps on a DVD which means, a whole season on 2 DVDs... Or on 1 Double Layer...

I thought about that for ages... Should I really buy a Divx compatible Player?? And I don't regret it even one sec... 3 friends of mine bought the same Xoro as well...

TechZ, which one do you have?
I also like the .avis with ac3 5.1 sound... exactly the same as on DVD...

Buba

I just found out the Nero can burn avi and mpg easyli on a DVD and put in a format that pretty much every DVD-player can read.

But I understand your opinions.....4,7gb of Video on one DVD and watch it on TV must be very cool.

Only 2 Episodes on one DVD make a big DVD-collection....So either I buy a Divx-Player or I just born Avi-files on DVD to archieve them and save space on my harddrive.

Which Divx-player is the best...and I heard of one which only costs 80EUR or so...at Saturn *Geiz ist geil* :thumbsup:

Read my above post. I just put on 4 eps of Smallville and will go for 6 then 8 and see what the difference with quality is. It is encoding now.

Perhaps it is only a function of my burner being a dual layer??

I am using Nero Vision 3.0.1.4 and Nero 6.6.0.3

a dvd9 = dual layer = 8152mb. I was referring to dvd5; single layer = 4483mb. I would use dual layer media also; but in comparison with single layer it costs an arm and a leg.

Right now I'm burning all my TG/FG avi's directly burning them as is (no conversion). Later on I'm intending to buy a divx compatible dvd player. I saw a nice one at Bestbuy & was either a sony or panasonic for ~$150; which isn't bad.

26y said:
a dvd9 = dual layer = 8152mb. I was referring to dvd5; single layer = 4483mb. I would use dual layer media also; but in comparison with single layer it costs an arm and a leg.

Right now I'm burning all my TG/FG avi's directly burning them as is (no conversion). Later on I'm intending to buy a divx compatible dvd player. I saw a nice one at Bestbuy & was either a sony or panasonic for ~$150; which isn't bad.

Yes, but I am only using a standard single layer DVD-RW disk. NOT DUAL LAYER.

I was saying that perhaps I have the option of recompressing to a smaller rate because Nero knows I have a dual layer burner and maybe it is letting me have greater options as it knows I have the capacity for more space available should I use the right media?? I am waiting for someone else to cram a few eps on and compare the results.

DVD's can have upto 360m of standard dvd video on them, thats 6 top gear eps,
DVD's dont have just one standard bit rate, TMPG and Nero allow you to choose how much video you want to fit and adjust the bitrate accordingly

LG, Samsung, Philips all make them.

I got myself a Sunstech branded one, its excellent, and cheap too. I got a TV by them and it beats the socks of my other JVC. So thats why when I saw that they make Divx players too, I choose Sunstech.

For the real deal its got to be a KiSS player, it cost a heck of a lot, but it can do sooooooooooooo much more.
http://www.kiss-technology.com/

Hmm, I thought about a KISS player as well...

But for me its not Highend - ness in picture, but more compatibilty... And therefore you need a Player that supports Divx with the pro features... And there aren't that much! I choose the Xoro since it has every output I could possibly think of. And 70 Euros are really cheap...

Buba