How Hard Can It Be? I Just Bought A 75

eddysdaman

Car(s)
Clue: It has boost.
Alfa Romeo 75 ... Almost identical to the one Clarkson bought in 11x03...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=280243272933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

His cost 450 pounds ... mine $811AU .... hence, MINE WAS CHEAPER :p

Well, actually, It's 1/5th mine. As its now my/my friends project car. Our hope is to make it look like this: So you can just imagine what we want to be doing with it :p

http://img395.imageshack.**/img395/6536/alfascarpf7.jpg

I went to go see it on the weekend ... and I was just wrapped up in the 'could be-s'. So after convincing a few mates, we're all ecstatic and I'll be going to pick it up soon. Then let the fun begin!

Oh, and before you all go nuts - We drove it. And had a very close inspection. Almost no rust. Maintained very well. Engine still has more kick than my Lancer and seriously, how bad could it be for $811...

I guess I'll be keeping y'all updated on the progress :lol:

That's an awesome project, a 75 is a great little car. I wish you luck with your project!

Just make sure some man doesn't come and roll yours over!

That's an awesome project, a 75 is a great little car. I wish you luck with your project!

Hehe thanks, yeah we're just hoping it will be as triumphant achievement as Clarksons was.

Just make sure some man doesn't come and roll yours over!

:lol: We'll keep security tight :p

lmao...i seriously went on ebay right after the show to look for Alfa 75s...if only care insurance was lower i would get one and strip it out and make it a track toy :D I really like the looks of the 75...the boxy shape looks nice like a cooler and more unique old bmw 3 series sedan. Lucky you!

Alfa Romeo 75 ... Almost identical to the one Clarkson bought in 11x03...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=280243272933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

His cost 450 pounds ... mine $811AU .... hence, MINE WAS CHEAPER :p

Well, actually, It's 1/5th mine. As its now my/my friends project car. Our hope is to make it look like this: So you can just imagine what we want to be doing with it :p

http://img395.imageshack.**/img395/6536/alfascarpf7.jpg

I went to go see it on the weekend ... and I was just wrapped up in the 'could be-s'. So after convincing a few mates, we're all ecstatic and I'll be going to pick it up soon. Then let the fun begin!

Oh, and before you all go nuts - We drove it. And had a very close inspection. Almost no rust. Maintained very well. Engine still has more kick than my Lancer and seriously, how bad could it be for $811...

I guess I'll be keeping y'all updated on the progress :lol:

His was a Potenziata, yours is just the plain 'ol 2.5 Litre V6 normal spec machine sunshine!

His has a factory LSD, close ratio box, leather and a LSD, yours has the normal gearbox etc....

Then again you both get twin piston Brembo's on the front, torsion beam front suspension and THE BEST V6 KNOWN TO MAN :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Welcome to the world of Alfa Romeo's......may you fall in love like the rest of us mad folk :) :wub: Personally I like the 33 Sr3 over a 75, but thats just me...

At work we picked up a lightly damaged one just like that for $38 (tow fee), we wrecked it (parted it out) since it really wasn't economical to repair and sell. People prefer the Twin spark here in Australia since its better balanced than the V6.....still the V6 noise makes up for it!

few tips for you, you'll need to probably have a look at the shifter mech and make sure the driveshaft doughnuts are in good nick....

I thought you were talking about a Rover 75! :lol: Awesome, I wish I had that instead of my stinky Bluebird.. :(

Oh my jebus.

So we went to pick it up last night. And dear monkey jebus, this thing is taaaaail happy.

We're already all madly in love. Mainly because every time we turn her on, not kidding, Clarkson was right, different warning lights are active each time. Also, the fuel gauge is either broken, or this thing is massively economical. Sure, it has the screen with the litres per 100km and total driving time and etc but we put $30 bucks in and drove for hours, gauge barely moved. The suspension is soft as anything, so thats first up. And the brakes are rather spongey, but after we gave it a few stand stills and cleared some of the carbon out everything seemed to work better. It was in dire need of some loving attention.

EDIT: Oh, and we're crunching gears, second third and reverse mainly, so if anyone has any suggestions or experience with them and knows exactly what it might be gimme a yell :p We're gonna do a full fluid flush of everything soon so, hopefully that will help.

I'll wash it this weekend (carefully as not all the seals are in the best condition...) and take some proper photos :)

Last edited:
pretty car. wish i could have an alfa. itd be awesome. regardless to how many times it breaks down :p

Just check all the critical rubber elements related to engine/drivetrain, primarily the timing belt and the rubber donuts that transfer power to the transaxle. In the case of failure with either you may find the rear wheels locked up, and heading towards a big crash.

PS: I know it was a cheap car, but try to take care of it, especially a rust-free example, over here you literally can't find such for under $6k

Oh, and Enjoy!! Many people actually say the 2.5 is the nicer sounding engine then the 3.0, so in that sense you've even one upped Clarkson

Last edited:
Oh my jebus.

EDIT: Oh, and we're crunching gears, second third and reverse mainly, so if anyone has any suggestions or experience with them and knows exactly what it might be gimme a yell :p We're gonna do a full fluid flush of everything soon so, hopefully that will help.

First off, re-bleed the clutch, the hydraulics on Alfetta based cars (which the 75 is based on) are a little tricky.

Next, this is a Alfa Romeo gearbox: When going from neutral to a gear go through second. There is no down sycrobrake shoe on the first gear.

Syncro's die young on these gearboxes, they are friction rings (ZF Style) units not the crappy bork rings most people are used to....they are very good for high rpm shifting. I belive 911's use them and Nissan used to sell them as a competition part for their gearboxes. It is probably the case that yours are stuffed.

These gearboxes (with their syncro's) also have diffrent lubrication requirements, we recomend a 75w90 gearbox oil. Castrol Multitrax is your best bet, we swear by it.

Other issues? Well check your driveshaft doughnuts make sure they are not cracked etc.

If your after new parts, try "Milano Spares" or "The Spare Place" in South Australia.

We did a gearbox in one on Tuesday and all the doughnuts etc. Its amazing how much nicer a car they are to drive with a fresh tranny....

thank god, reading the title i thought you bought a rover 75 :phew: