How I Would ImproveTGUS on the HISTORY channel, and Ensure the Future of TGUS episode

BillyGoGo

Car(s)
the Ultimate Driving Machines
OK, here's your chance to sound off (constructively) and let the HISTORY channel know how to improve the show, and keep it going.

First, there would be a minimum of three 13-minute segment, which will give me a total of 39 minutes out of a possible 42 ? 43 minutes total. This will also allow more segments based on time if a segment is short.

Second, if necessary move the challenges across multiple episodes. No one said a challenge had to be completed in the same episode.

Third, fix the BSSC segment it should be a part of every episode. Currently Adam is doing a great job and should be the only one who does the segment. This great opportunity to generate interest in the show because the longer the show stays on the air the more celebs will want to be on it.

Make it an hour and a half long, that would solve most of its issues.

Yeah either add running time or drop BSSC. The way they are now either the reviews/interviews seem rushed or certain important segments get dropped. (GT2 Stig lap I am looking at you.)

Oh, dear God, not another manifestation of the Dumbass Manifesto. We've had enough threads about this.

:lock: with prejudice.

Running time is the problem, but there is no solution unless/until the ratings come up enough to justify giving them more time. They're getting better, just be patient and keep spreading the word.

Extreme prejudice?

No, extreme prejudice would be to terminate both the thread and the user on sight. Billy deserves a chance at life.

They aren't going to give the show a 90 minute run time -- so you can put that out of your heads.

The best thing to hope for is they can get some sponsor to buy out the episode and do "brought to you with limited commercial interruption by...."

Totally read this in the smooth jazz Hulu voice. :D

I thought the guy on Hulu was theater movie trailer smooth.

Jazz smooth was invented by and broadcast for 50 years by Chuck Niles (now deceased) on FM KKGO/KLON/KKJZ in Los Angeles. Jazz smooth requires smoking two packs of cigarettes per day for five decades, just like Chuck Niles (now deceased).

Last edited:
The best thing to hope for is they can get some sponsor to buy out the episode and do "brought to you with limited commercial interruption by...."

"Hello, Tirerack? You know that big logo you guys have hanging on The Car Show set? What?.... You're surprised I've seen it?.... If you get a U Haul and take it to an old airbase in Orange County, I know where you can put it in a hangar that's seen by an audience that is eight times larger!"

Last edited:
"Hello, Tirerack? You know that big logo you guys have hanging on The Car Show set? What?.... You're surprised I've seen it?.... If you get a U Haul and take it to an old airbase in Orange County, I know where you can put it in a hangar that's seen by an audience that is eight times larger!"

For an audience that big you have to own a blimp, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink oh crap something got in my eye.

Top Gear has it. I just watched season 4 episode 1 of Top Gear Australia, they have it. Top Gear USA just doesn't have it. I don't exactly know what "it" is. But TGUS falls short somehow in entertainment value. I would have to agree partially with some of the above comments that the show is too short time wise but the TGAU show is also 40ish minutes long but it's still more entertaining. I think it's the presenters. Don't get me wrong, I like TGUS and will continue to watch it but it has never lived up to the original TG. It seems this year they are intentionally trying to separate themselves from the original, and so far I think the change takes away instead of adding to the show.

1) Needs what amounts to a 90 minute slot to make ad breaks work and allow for editing flexibility. TG:US episodes go by FAST as a result of available time, and I suspect a lot of great stuff never makes it into the edit. They could accomplish this by doing a 120 minute slot with another program in the remaining 30, ideally related to the show. It would not be hard to dream up a pre/post TG show that is heavily sponsored. I see no reason they couldn't commit to this, History programming on Sundays isn't exactly what you'd call robust.

2) Dump the instant recap and up next bumps going into and out of each commercial. They're unnecessary and gobble up precious time. New viewers will adapt to the format.

3) Perhaps replace one or more of the conventional advertising slots with some manner of product placement in the show. People in this audience tune out conventional commercials.

4) Track needs a revamp as it looks like crap. It's obviously leased property, but spend a few bucks and put down some real surface, curbing, and some grass. It's very hard to figure out car position and speed while retaining the TG low angle / fast cut style on the current runway setup. (Alternatively, more high angle crane shots)

5) Lets have some race driver guests on there. Can't be that hard to get some Rolex 24, IRL, etc people on.

edit: Also, if they don't do something with the USGP next year, I'll be really disappointed.

Last edited:
I was thinking more in terms of "identify and sterilize before they can breed."