How it is done?

XYZviper

Car(s)
TOYOTA Yaris
Hai! Does anybody know how to do such a photo (photo below)? I have about a half of the idea how to do it - panning, longer exposure, blast the flash (flash not on camera I think) at some point. But will I get the effect? Those rear light tails are what I'm looking for, and had such an idea for quite some time. I know that it's experimenting, experimenting, experimenting, but maybe someone know a near exact recipe for this shot. :mrgreen:

9080527.012.Mini4L.jpg

Last edited:
If it's no shop then it was done in pitch black darkness trying to follow the car with the camera.
Everything that is giving off light appears as a long wavy line, everything else appears as a rather sharp image due to the flash going off.
Judging by the shadow cast by the car the flash must be far off to the right, maybe not even connected to the camera but caused by someone else.

Yeah, long exposure and a pan. I don't think a flash was involved (track lighting).

Without a flash the pan must follow the car perfectly to keep it sharp, which would not result in swoopy tail lights :(
Additionally, the writing on the 'ring would not be legible.

^ i agree.. pan the light trails with "underexpose" and blast the flash at the end

Depending on whether you want the first, middle, later bit of your long exposure time captured sharply you can (assuming decent equipment) choose when the flash goes off.

In this case the flash could have been at the beginning, then the car would have to move to the left of the shot during exposure, ie the panning is too fast.
It could also have been at the end, then the car would have to move to the right of the shot during exposure, ie the panning is too slow.
Any time between is unlikely because the trail of light starts (ends?) at the taillights.

Yeah, long exposure and a pan. I don't think a flash was involved (track lighting).

Flash 100% involved. Panning camera tracks slower than car, captures light trails, off-camera strobe (camera right) freezes car at end of exposure. Only way to pull it off outside of Photoshop compositing.

Last edited:
...or camera tracking faster, off-camera strobe at the beginning of exposure :lmao:

Same basic idea though :nod:

Flash 100% involved. Panning camera tracks slower than car, captures light trails, off-camera strobe (camera right) freezes car at end of exposure. Only way to pull it off outside of Photoshop compositing.
OIC

So on a Sunday evening we went out to try ant pull of the shot in my first post. Guess what, everything went horribly wrong. That panning shit is hard. Admitting our failure, we did this:

4167631064_2e3978d6c0_o.jpg
4167631220_f2e8007e11_o.jpg

4166871481_13c164f26f_o.jpg
4167631320_e600665569_o.jpg

4170306130_9872cdc8a7_o.jpg
4170306206_aa11e6eb85_o.jpg

Did a tiltshift effect on them, but overall they didn't turn out very sharp in the first place because of all the shaking, and the camera lens didn't have an IS system. But it was fun making them, so I think I should get better the next five times - at least. And yes, first time using a DSLR.

:mrgreen:

Thanks. There was no flash used in these. I cant remenber what ISO was used now, I used from 100 to 800. I think it was 800 because all the best shots were made on slower shutter speeds, but I will check at home.

The last two I'm keeping because they are interesting for me, and I like the flamy headlamps, because they are not just out of focus, but they look line on real fire.

Why I "tiltshifted" the first 4 is very simpple. The photos aren't very good in quality, only some parts were in focus. So the tiltshift effect kind of makes an opticall ilussion, that the in focus parts are in focus, but the not in focus parts are reprezented like "I wanted them to by like that", But acctualy the out of focus parts are really not so in focus - a trick!

Thanks for criticisim and that most of You liked them.

:mrgreen: