How many kids do you want?

How many kids do you want?

• Total voters
Let's just say, there is a segment of the childless community that have pets. Usually, but not limited to, small dogs that are dressed up, over pampered and are treated as substitute children.

It probably applies more to middle aged women, than any other group.
Two cats, definitely not in that segment.

I did read somewhere that having a kid costs about $15k a year. My parents never had much money, they did their best, but none of us kids got to go to college. Well, my sister and I did, but neither of us graduated, since we were on our own financially, working, and taking out student loans. That said, I don't want to make the same mistakes as my parents, I want to be able to put my kids through college and I just can't see that happening, since I have no degree or skills or anything else that I could use to make a good living. That, and apparently women don't find me attractive, so it's a moot point. :p

So, of those of you who want / have no kids, how many of you have pets?

Don't have any pets. Never have had any pets.

Babies are fine, I love them. Children? No, not for me, I'm too selfish. A friend and I once had a drunken pact that we'd timeshare - I'd have the kid and keep him/her until age two, then she'd take over. Other people's are fine (and no, not just because I can give them back!). Seriously, there are a few kids I've met recently that have obviously been brought up well and they're a delight, and I love/loved spending time with them. But they're not for me, and I came to this conclusion in my very early twenties. The fact I fell pregnant (and then lost it rather badly) in my early thirties did put a spanner in the works, but I've never regretted not having them.

Yeah, some kids I like. Ditto for babies. But in regards to kids I can only stand them up to a point, which is a big reason why I'm not sure I want any now. At the moment, I'm thinking that, in ten years' time (my early 40s), I'll be like, "Screw having kids. I'm nearing (the) menopause."

Let's just say, there is a segment of the childless community that have pets. Usually, but not limited to, small dogs that are dressed up, over pampered and are treated as substitute children.

It probably applies more to middle aged women, than any other group.

Somehow, I think that the crazy-cat-lady demographic is not well-represented on FinalGear. :lol:

In my early twenties when familiy planning was first an issue, I used to want 3 children ... now I?m down to 1. In between then and now I?ve become pround uncle of a nephew and a niece. And after quite some babysitting, bum-wiping, having food thrown at me and etc ... I?m quite sure I don?t want another 3 of those little monsters in the familiy. But one I?ll probably manage ... so 1 it is.

Somehow, I think that the crazy-cat-lady demographic is not well-represented on FinalGear. :lol:

middle aged - check
crazy - check
cats - check - four of them
lady - check

:D

But you go out into the world and function. You also have to be a shut in to be a real cat crazy person. (not all of them are womens)

But you go out into the world and function. You also have to be a shut in to be a real cat crazy person. (not all of them are womens)

But I want to be a crazy cat person :( (And I'm not sure how well I function actually, if I'm being totally honest :lol:)

I have to say I find some of the replies in here a bit depressing.

On the whole pets/kids thing, I had many pets as a child, cats, dogs, a rabbit and even a hamster. As I stated earlier I do want kids, how that ties into me being an animal lover, I'm not sure. But my kids will have pets, I know that much.

But I want to be a crazy cat person :( (And I'm not sure how well I function actually, if I'm being totally honest :lol:)

Ok, crazy cat people don't own cool cars.

I put a santa's hat on my cat's head and took a photo, where does that leave me?

I put a santa's hat on my cat's head and took a photo, where does that leave me?

You have taken the first steps. As long as you resisted the urge to put that pic on all your Christmas cards and send them to all your friends and family (with a paw print signing them), there is still hope for you.

Me too. Poor critters.

On the other hand, you can stack a ton of random shit on a cat without bothering it in the slightest, a Christmas hat would hardly faze the thing. :lol:

Well... I've no idea what the answer is. For now... none. I'm finishing university this year, and then I'll work and enjoy life a bit with the money I earn... make some nice vacations etc.

But since I'm in a good relationship for almost 2 years now, I noticed some change in my. Before that, when I was lonely etc... I hated kids/babies. There were disgusting, crying, pooping. Bah. But somehow now I find them cute and even interact with them, when I met people with babies in the shopping mall etc...

I'm rather sure, that I'll change my opinion about having kids "later". First I have to enjoy life with my girlfriend. I never had the funds to do it at the same time.

Last edited: