How many kids do you want?

How many kids do you want?

• Total voters
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever....ever. Even just the thought terrifies me. I generally don't like them, babies creep the shit out of me, and I hate the idea of my life goals/desires being demoted to "lawl kids come first". It's not like it would even happen to me anyway though, so I'm not worried.

If my future wife wanted them, I'd be open to the discussion, but I have no personal desire for children. I don't think either of my sisters want kids either so my parents have to settle for not being grandparents. EDIT: LOL, figures I post right after my sister.

I'd rather spend the money on sports cars and other fun things. :cool:

Word. Preferably none, but if the woman and financial conditions are right, one. No more than one. And if it's a boy, he'll be named Jensen :D

I wonder if there's any correlation in attitudes from people in their 20s saying they don't want any kids vs. older members (like 30s or so, at least) who want just two.
I'm in my thirties.

10 years ago I was saying never.

5 years ago I was saying probably none, but maybe I'll change my mind some day.
I've always been "never ever want to, upon notice of pregancy I'd rather let my girlfriend decide between abortion or me commiting suicide; but it's always possible to change my opinion". Possible, but not probable. And with what I experienced in the past ten years or so it's become even more improbable than before. But I probably wouldn't do the suicide part anymore.

I am not sure about the whole thing. Kids are so terribly expensive, the Ferrari plan would go right out of the window that's for sure. Also I am not so sure if I would be that great of a father, I can barely take care of myself.

That said I am not completely against the idea. So when ms. Right decides to walk in to my life it might not be impossible to convince me..

In case I would have kids, I would have two.

I've always wanted kids, in a vague "when I'm ready and settled I'll have them" sense. :dunno: I guess I sort of feel a desire to pass on my ginger genes, even if it's just to kids who'll be carriers, because lol recessive. That and I do have some latent maternal instinct lurking somewhere...

Less than none. I not only want none, I also want to take them away from some people, and find a way to keep other people's children away from me.
This.

Can't stand children and I would make an appallingly bad father. There is already one too many of me in the world, I see no need for more. :p

I'd be interested to see what's happened in ten years time to all those who don't want kids.

My money's on 80% of them being parents by then.

Pft! Highly unlikely. I have thought seriously about it and I don't see myself being a parent. *Maybe* as anything is possible I may change my mind in the future but I doubt it.

Pft! Highly unlikely. I have thought seriously about it and I don't see myself being a parent. *Maybe* as anything is possible I may change my mind in the future but I doubt it.

Just like me and so many people I knew when I was that age. We'll see.

i voted for 2 but that is just from the first wife

Babies are fine, I love them. Children? No, not for me, I'm too selfish. A friend and I once had a drunken pact that we'd timeshare - I'd have the kid and keep him/her until age two, then she'd take over. Other people's are fine (and no, not just because I can give them back!). Seriously, there are a few kids I've met recently that have obviously been brought up well and they're a delight, and I love/loved spending time with them. But they're not for me, and I came to this conclusion in my very early twenties. The fact I fell pregnant (and then lost it rather badly) in my early thirties did put a spanner in the works, but I've never regretted not having them.

Reactions: MWF
Best you trade in that truck you just bought and get one then.

:p

This "truck" can do circles around your MX-5. :p

Just like me and so many people I knew when I was that age. We'll see.

I think it's for a large part because the population of this forum seems to be made up of mostly single students. Back when I was still a student (only was a single student for 4 months) my outlook on life was completely different from the outlook I had when I was a working person, and from how it is now, working parent. Maybe biological clocks factor in too, because I see a lot of my friends and family who hated kids as little as 2 years ago, now seriously considering getting kids. Things can change fast in that respect.

One of my friends since second grade is turning 39 in June. She has always said she wanted twins (non identical) and that was it. She hasn't had a bf in a decade, nor been on a date. Attempts to get her to do internet dating were lame on her behalf "I can't meet anyone" and yet she had 100s of responses in her inbox she just wouldn't read. And now she's panicking and headed off to buy some sperm and spend some time with a turkey baster. She has multiple health issues, not much of an income, and is basically going to be doing this on her own, her desire for kids is that strong.

So yeah, the clock thing does come in to it.

That's really sad. Both that she has such little self belief and that having such health issues might potentially have such a detrimental impact on ay child she might have.

I hope for her sake and even more for that of any child she might produce that things go the way we would want them.

Actually the worse thing is the death rate amongst women and the number of children that are being born by Caesarean section. You can end up with much less feeling (Cuts through too many nerves) in your nether regions if the Doctor is a klutz, or even with your bladder knackered for the rest of your life. NB Not nice.

All this recent bollocks about the 'health issues' surrounding the pill are real but insignificant when compared to the health risks of a full term pregnancy.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what's happened in ten years time to all those who don't want kids.

My money's on 80% of them being parents by then.

Ten years ago, I wanted one or two. Now? I'm not sure if I want any or not.

The pregnancy thing is dangerous business. But then again, it's been happening for a long time and the population is still growing. So some of it must be working.

But yes, not everything works out. Which can lead on to things like our current increasing demand on supported housing for kids with serious mental and physical disabilities. And lots of them have older parents.

I'm not saying 'go out at 16 and get knocked up'. But it does make a certain amount of sense in biological terms. The mother is younger and more physically able to cope with the pregnancy part, less chance of egg degradation and in-utero issues, and deals better with the no-sleep post birth. I know a few people in their 30s that had their kids at 16-20 years old. They aren't running around dealing with school runs, child care, sick kids etc etc. They are moving up the levels at work because they are putting effort into their careers now, and by the time they retire, the kids will be self sufficient, so they don't have to worry about them so much.

Whereas I look at some of the older parents, 45/50 years old, still taking 5-10 year olds to soccer practice, athletics, dealing with who is staying home to look after sick little Timmy.... They look worn out and aren't having much fun.

Now give me my child. I have a life to ruin.

kenny powers.jpeg