Votes: 2 9.5%
  • $100,000

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • $50,000

• $35,000

• Total voters
There are insane things you can do with a car. Knocking down a bridge was mentioned already, causing a huge pileup would be a more likely scenario. Bash up 100 cars, injure 200-300 occupants - easy to exhaust 100mil?.

Yes, U.S. standards are quite a bit lower. I honestly don't know my limit for sure, for some reason $500,000 comes to mind. I would be quite impressed if you managed to rack up 100 million euros worth of damage in a single crash :lol:

Sadly, I know that in many states it's far, far lower (an order of magnitude) and I suspect that if we limited the poll to just Americans, we'd find only a modest percentage carry that much cover. :(

Steve

Don't worry, Massachusetts is the California of the East Coast. I know that my limit is much more complex than a single number though, as many have said, it depends on who/what was damaged and how many. I remember there being separate numbers for vehicle, property, and personal damage/injury, with the latter being the highest.

I'm not too sure what is the coverage on my policy, but it appears that the minimum coverage available is 1,4M Euro on property damage and another 1,4M on injuries.

We had a scandal in the 1960s - Fire, Auto and Marine was the company - basically went bust having had all it's assets taken offshore by a crook as I recall. There was a restructure after that. There is an uninsured loss bureau - a slice of each policy is put in a kind of insurance of insurances and say you are hit by a Pikey (Who are Never Insured) and killed the death benefit is paid out of this fund.
Same over here, if uninsured drivers (illegal) cause damages then the TFF steps in.

If your vehicle is not insured but not temporarily deregistered, Trafikf?rs?kringsf?reningen has a legal right (under Section 34 of the Motor Traffic Damage Act) to claim a motor insurance charge from you, the owner.

The sum is charged for each day that your vehicle remains uninsured. The charge covers the costs of any damage (personal injuries and/or damage to property) caused by an uninsured vehicle.

The scale of the motor insurance charge is based on the highest premiums applied by insurance companies for the various types of vehicle, e.g. cars or lorries.

Last edited:
If you lived in a state where it wasn't required to have insurance would you still get it?

If you lived in a state where it wasn't required to have insurance would you still get it?
Considering that a single crash can easily ruin you for life if you're not covered, yes, I would. In fact, I have the non-mandatory private liability insurance as I mentioned earlier.
Of course, what would be the price of such an insurance if it wasn't mandatory? That's an interesting question...

We had a scandal in the 1960s - Fire, Auto and Marine was the company - basically went bust having had all it's assets taken offshore by a crook as I recall. There was a restructure after that. There is an uninsured loss bureau - a slice of each policy is put in a kind of insurance of insurances and say you are hit by a Pikey (Who are Never Insured) and killed the death benefit is paid out of this fund.

See if I can find a citation for Fire, auto and Marine. Hang-on. ...

EDIT/
Thats right Emil Savendra, that was the cove (He had an IBM MF too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Savundra#Fire.2C_Auto_and_Marine

I had forgotten that this was part of the Christine Keeler business too.

"There are many photographs of him posing with such figures. In his first race he fractured his spine and was referred by one of his high society friends to an osteopath called Stephen Ward. This is when he became involved with Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies and Savundra is referred to at Stephen Ward's trial as 'the Indian doctor'.[3] "

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/CKeeler1.jpg

The small size of the Picture does not do her justice, KaPow!

Interesting how all of those scandals get woven in together and man Keeler is hot.

Here is a bigger picture.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_02/ChristineKeelerRex1507_468x.jpg

I knew the bloke that was brought into the country to assassinate her (from the West Indies - well that was the story I heard) - no kidding. He was an incompetent/or too nice and ended up (in the late 70s at least) living in Greenwich. I knew him as Johnny Edge, I wonder what happened to him - he used to come into my local pub.

Last edited: