• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

How much does he actually know?

wooflepoof

WoofleDay
Car(s)
Genesis Sedan 3.8
I was watching Jeremy go round the tracks and road tests and do these ?1500 contests, but i wonder how much do these presenters actually know about whats going on around them? Has Jeremy seen the laps of the cars for the stars in a reasonably priced car segment before they show it to everyone? Do they know what the scores are and the eventual totals before they actually present the contest? theres loads more, how much of this whole deal is just TV magic? (i got to thinking after i read the section for this months top gear magazine and found out how much work had to be done behing the scenes for the roller into the pool bit he did for that pool opening a few weeks ago) You know you watch all these clips and races and things and you forget there has to be a camera man and sometimes an audio man with them ALL the time.

I'm not sure but I think usually the Camera is mounted in the car... the camera man usually follows behind in a chase car

and I am sure everyone knows that a lot of the things they pull like blowing caravans and sinking cars is preplanned.you can't just drive into a pool.
they train before the show.they not saying spontaneously except for the part where he calls the celebs

I'm not sure but I think usually the Camera is mounted in the car... the camera man usually follows behind in a chase car

I have suspicions that at least in some cases the chase car stuff and the review with the car mounted camera on some occasions are done at different times.

I know alot of that stuff is very much premeditated and all the safety stuff has been asessed... im sure the people at the opening would've wondered what they were planing on doing with an underwater cameraman and a ramp at the front of the pool

A lot of it is acting. But with the last contest with cheap Japanese cars, James was thrilled to win something on Top Gear. I don't think that was acting ;)

I think they have a script but allow for ad libbing and banter that goes on - makes it more interesting and seem spontaneous.

On road tests there are various ways of filming these, from small cameras mounted inside the car (sometimes you can see them on suckers mounted to the windscreen), to tiny cameras put in things like air vents, cameras can be mounted on specially designed rigs that attach to the car, and of course there's always good ole cameramen and there is usually another car to get the outside shots. There's a really cool Land Rover with a camera on the end of a jib that gets some wicked sweeping shots. I think they read up on the specs create a loose script and then off they go :?

lucky gits

The videos they show in the studio are prerecorded either during the day(guests) or way earlier so the presenters probably view the material predetermine basically what they are going to say. Especially with the used car contests, they already know the score of the things before the present them in the studio.

Considering how well they direct, film, and edit the episodes it's not surprising that a LOT of planning goes on behind the scenes. Can you name another automobile program (except Fifth Gear) that is produced in such high quality? I'm amazed at how well the cameras are used for every segment.

For a Star in a Reasonably Priced car, Jeremy obviously knows the lap time before they do that segment. Jeremy and the celeb probably have a rough outline of their conversations before they come on.
I think some of the jokes are planned before the show. I also think that some are simply improvised on the spot. Jeremy is notorious for saying the most insulting and witty things on live TV.

Good Lord, there's thunder and lightning and downpour here...

Anyways, sometimes they use mounted cameras on the Cars such as for the Celebrity Laps or for the Power Laps and some of the stuff Clarkson does. If you look closely you do see the mount on the passenger side of the car and it is a tiny camera. In some of the older episodes you hear Jezza sayign the cameraman is getting sick or whatever, and the shots came from the rear seats.

I asked TG about Clarkson and his jokes and his wit and here is what they sent me:

Dear *****,

Thanks for your email. Jeremy does have a hand in many of the scripts
although Top Gear's script writer is Richard Porter, so he's the man
behind the scenes!

Without wanting to sound like a shameless plug(don't worry, we don't
profit from it!), Richard has just published a book called 'Crap Cars',
which is as funny as his scripts - so if you like them, you'll love it.

Enjoy the forthcoming series,

Katy Henderson

Hope this clears some things up then :lol:

KryptonZone said:
Good Lord, there's thunder and lightning and downpour here...

Anyways, sometimes they use mounted cameras on the Cars such as for the Celebrity Laps or for the Power Laps and some of the stuff Clarkson does. If you look closely you do see the mount on the passenger side of the car and it is a tiny camera. In some of the older episodes you hear Jezza sayign the cameraman is getting sick or whatever, and the shots came from the rear seats.

I asked TG about Clarkson and his jokes and his wit and here is what they sent me:

Dear *****,

Thanks for your email. Jeremy does have a hand in many of the scripts
although Top Gear's script writer is Richard Porter, so he's the man
behind the scenes!

Without wanting to sound like a shameless plug(don't worry, we don't
profit from it!), Richard has just published a book called 'Crap Cars',
which is as funny as his scripts - so if you like them, you'll love it.

Enjoy the forthcoming series,

Katy Henderson

Hope this clears some things up then :lol:

Ah so it's Richard Porter who does the Sniff Petrol site too (click on sig)

KryptonZone said:

I knew whoever did Sniff Petrol also wrote Crap Cars since they discussed it on the site and said they'd written it, and now that we know who wrote Crap Cars, we also know who's behind Sniff Petrol.

Someone mentioned the script writer for TG was behind Sniff, and now we have a name.

So if you're out there Richard Porter :thumbsup: love your work!

Richard Porter also has a column on evo. I think it is often quite good.

sorry but it's all scripted, all the montage work with different cuts, talked vs narrated bits, it all has to be planned.

What I'd like to know, is in the "race" segments where it's Jeremy vs. hamster and may, how many different camera trucks do they have along the way? Do they stop the race so they can get flyby shots of the car? I would think that Jeremy would be driving a bit faster than your typical camera truck, plus it always shows him blowing past the camera in every shot.

ranger_dood said:
What I'd like to know, is in the "race" segments where it's Jeremy vs. hamster and may, how many different camera trucks do they have along the way? Do they stop the race so they can get flyby shots of the car? I would think that Jeremy would be driving a bit faster than your typical camera truck, plus it always shows him blowing past the camera in every shot.

A lot of those tracking and flyby shots are done on the return journey.