How much longer do you think TG will go on?

How much longer do you think TG will go on?

• Total voters
All good things must come to an end one day guys, and besides what peodude says is probably a good point, it'll regenerate like Dr Who and instead of Jeremy hosting we'll get David Tennant or someone

I think it'll go on until Clarkson can't do it any more. And then it'll go on for another 3 series until everyone realises that TG is really a vehicle for Clarkson's televisual talent, and that's what we've been appreciating all of these years, like him or not.

As brilliant as May and Hammond are, their personas are really best suited to fronting different kinds of show. I love the factual stuff May does. And Hammond is a top-draw documentary presenter.

Well you know the budget cuts this year for the BBC, errrr wellll. ....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6499474.ece

"However, because regional news is becoming increasingly uneconomic, the document is expected to indicate that about ?50 million a year of the licence fee could be ?top sliced? and set aside for other news producers. That move risks placing Labour ministers at loggerheads with the BBC less than a year before a general election. The corporation has long opposed any top slicing of the ?142.50 levy, which is paid by 25 million homes. "

So that means I now pay the Licence fee to any old bunch of managemnt incompetents does it? Why stop there, I am sure there are other people in the queue. ...

Really though I want it to pay for the BBC, how odd am I?

For Americans: that is a bit like PBS paying Fox to compete with them.

Last edited:
go on?

if they get back to doing proper car reviews instead of trying to 1 up themselves every series this show can go on forever. ;)

I think Top Gear in its current format has a few years left in it, there is no reason why after that it cannot continue with different presenters or a slightly different format. Really they should think about adding some new blood to the show in the next few series, not as a main presenter but someone who can do the odd 5 minute segment, this will allow the viewers to accept them as part of the team as well as giving them experience and exposure before promoting them up to the main cast when one of the current presenters moves on.

The format is quite clearly a good one as it has been sold/copied all over the world, it would just need to right mix of presenters to keep it going, if they could find them and introduce them gradually (and not have them as younger versions of the current hosts) then I see no reason why Top Gear cannot continue.

Its also important to keep Top Gear going for the simple reason that if it ends the ecomentalists will probably replace it with an environmentally friendly car show "Green Gear" *shudders*

I agree that they can easily do a few more segments a series on classic cars, and especially modern updates to them. James' test of the modernized XJS was a perfect example, and it can't cost that much to just film a relaxing drive around the countryside.

if it ends the ecomentalists will probably replace it with an environmentally friendly car show "Green Gear" *shudders*

darth_vader_nooo.jpg

I can only imagine Top Gear to be around for some time as it has to be the premier motoring show, the format works very well but I think the most likely issue will be with how long Jeremy and James decide to stay with the show being middle aged although I am sure myself and other fans do not wish to face this issue & perhaps it ain't going to happen any time soon, but it is perhaps an issue which will occur? Richard may be around a while longer being youngest.

Have to be honest I voted 4-6 years!

Relevant links:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/84864/Top-beer/
http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2009/06/18/top-gear-dog-and-fox/

I think Top Gear in its current format has a few years left in it, there is no reason why after that it cannot continue with different presenters or a slightly different format. Really they should think about adding some new blood to the show in the next few series, not as a main presenter but someone who can do the odd 5 minute segment, this will allow the viewers to accept them as part of the team as well as giving them experience and exposure before promoting them up to the main cast when one of the current presenters moves on.

The format is quite clearly a good one as it has been sold/copied all over the world, it would just need to right mix of presenters to keep it going, if they could find them and introduce them gradually (and not have them as younger versions of the current hosts) then I see no reason why Top Gear cannot continue.

Its also important to keep Top Gear going for the simple reason that if it ends the ecomentalists will probably replace it with an environmentally friendly car show "Green Gear" *shudders*

Exactly, ^ this.

It all depends on the high ups at the BBC, some way down the road ?they? may want is to be more green focused.

Say for example, the current price of gas doubles very quickly and was then set to stay at that level for the foreseeable, then the BBC would want the program to go more ?alternate?.

If the current TG3 are still there at this point, they may want to leave.

BBC then re-launches in Top Gear: The Next Generation. :rolleyes:

I haven't read the other pages so if I repeat what others have said I apologize.

Who cares when it will end? There are endless hours of entertainment for practically anyone. Sure the show has a car theme but it touches everyone. Well everyone that can get past some of the accents and clarksons anti-american comments. And before some others yanks jump on, clarkson is an entertainer who knows how he really feels and honestly why would you care? He does what he needs to which is entertain.

I agree that they can easily do a few more segments a series on classic cars, and especially modern updates to them. James' test of the modernized XJS was a perfect example, and it can't cost that much to just film a relaxing drive around the countryside.

Speaking of which, the new race between an old Jaguar and what appears to be a BSA Goldstar motorcycle.... really looking forward to it. I love both the car and the bike, and it has the road-movie concept that is one of my favourite bts of Top Gear. If they keep doing things like (what I assume) they are doing for series 13, they could go on for a long while.

I know it has to end eventually, but I really hope the guys keep active in presenting and stuff. Maybe a new show of some sort for each of them.I wouldn't mind seeing Jeremy and James in a non-car related post. Honestly, I'm not a huge Hammond fan and I can't see myself watching him in a show other then Top Gear, but I always go out of my way to see James and Jeremy in all their shows. Ultimately, when Top gear sadly but inevitably does fizzle out, I hope James presents a new science/travel hybrid interacting with important people on the cutting edge of whatever they;re on the cutting edge of, as he seems to be very good at that. And he keeps up his endeavors with Oz. As for Jeremy, something political, maybe a quiz show or another stab at a talk show.

Well, it can't go on forever so I would say a couple of years. They're getting older and I don't know if they can continue on this level. But I wouldn't mind it lasting forever as long as they can maintain the level the show has now.

I disagree, the 'Greenie Islingtonistas' have been after TG for some time - they will get it and shut it down sooner or later - 'global warming you know' will be the excuse.

I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of that happening. Even if the BBC dropped it Clarkson owns the rights I believe and could carry on making TG for another channel.

Thinking about a replacement, should one of them leave, then there are two people who have had inside experience of Top Gear, Perry McCarthy and (allegedly) Ben Collins. What's to stop them stepping into a presenting role?

Thinking about a replacement, should one of them leave, then there are two people who have had inside experience of Top Gear, Perry McCarthy and (allegedly) Ben Collins. What's to stop them stepping into a presenting role?

FTFY. (Ben Collins has been seen on-camera in at least two TG segments -- 5x02 (driving the Evo and Bowler Wildcat vs skateboard); 6x01 (Aygo footy); and 8x05 (Aygos vs. Foxes playing footy; all the same drivers were used from the previous match).)

Andy Wilman said:
How will it end? Ideally, all good TV programmes should follow the Fawlty Towers formula ? make a run of great shows, then call it a day, get the hell out of Dodge and leave your audience with only memories of greatness. That approach shows courage, dignity and integrity. The problem is that none of us has any of those qualities. We?ll keep pedalling away until people are throwing eggs at us.

All hail Andy :bow:

While, I hope it will last for as long as Old Top Gear; in reality I see them running out of Ideas before the 20th season.

Forever

-ever

+u

aka 4 more years.

That in itself is a stretch. I feel like they may just salute in 3 or fewer as each year is actually 2 seasons. But you never know. TG will come up with something.