how much should a 93 rx7 go for

patrick10

Car(s)
s13 and a beater daily
auto( :( ), leather, red, only has hks exhaust and apex'i intake, stock boost. 75k on body, 25k on remanufactured motor. rebulit title(another :( ) but whoever did the repairs did an awesome job, he put it on a lift for me and i couldnt even tell where it got hit.

im thinking of getting rid of the 240 and getting a 7 so i need to figure out what to offer him. i was thinking about 7k usd.

www.cars.com
www.kbb.com

Those might be your best bet, just look it up on those two, and compare. They will give you a good general idea of what to offer if the car wasn't hit. But get that number in your head, use the fact it was hit / different motor to forumlate a proper offer, or use them as points to talk him down.

Dont settle for a sports car with an automatic tranny. Move on and look somewhere else. :)

these cars wont go for kbb... my 240 is like 3500 on kbb but i could probably get 6500 for it right now. same thing with rx7s

auto --> 5 sp = cheaper than stock manual. plus this is down my street compared to across the country. another thing is the autos have a lower redline than the manuals and you cant bang gears in an auto so you can almost gurantee it hasnt been beaten on as bad as a manual.

The RX-7 will most likely be more trouble than its worth for you. The rotary has always proven to be less reliable than a conventional engine for sometime.

This is interesting. My friend with an S13 w/ SR20DET wants get an FD too.
WHY? WHY???? WHY??????????
I've been telling him to look at other FR alternatives like TVRs, Porsches, etc. He found a craigslist ad for a 190E Cosworth yesterday!

The FD's can be sold at a large range of prices. NADA prices are based on actual exchange rates. The most important is to check for frame damage from prior accidents. The next thing is the engine. If driven hard those engines won't run well past 60k miles. You need to pay however much it's worth to you.

Lastly, would you enjoy getting less than 200 miles to the tank?

Z Draci said:
This is interesting. My friend with an S13 w/ SR20DET wants get an FD too.
WHY? WHY???? WHY??????????
I've been telling him to look at other FR alternatives like TVRs, Porsches, etc. He found a craigslist ad for a 190E Cosworth yesterday!

The FD's can be sold at a large range of prices. NADA prices are based on actual exchange rates. The most important is to check for frame damage from prior accidents. The next thing is the engine. If driven hard those engines won't run well past 60k miles. You need to pay however much it's worth to you.

Lastly, would you enjoy getting less than 200 miles to the tank?

The 190e won't be a cheap car to own, but I would love to have one myself. Though also seems like a bad choice to got from an S13, there's not much of an aftermarket for them in the US.

I can't see how anyone would ever recommend a TVR or Front engined porsche over a mazda, even the FD, fix the flaws the engineers did back in 1999 and you'll have a great car.

-------

I'm a big fan of RX-7's, but honestly the FD is a POS. Most that are running, and haven't blown up yet, are going for around 15k on average, this is in "good condition" obviously. Personally I would not go over 12k on one, unless it's owned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Given that the car has been in an accident, and it's been modded (stock FD's are bad enough, moded even worse), I'd definately low ball the shit out of him. Regardless of how well rebuilt it is, no one else really cares that it's been rebuilt, it's still been wrecked, you'll only hurt yourself when you resell if if you ignore this when dealing with the guy.

Now if you decide to get it, do yourself a favor, and search out every reliability fix you can on that car. One that comes to mind is fixing the cooling system, it's inadequate for the job. Do that and get something to control fuel.
I don't care what anyone says, I'm of the opinion, that if your going to mod a Turbo rotary, get all the fuel stuff taken care of, don't do it after you start having lean issue's or hitting fuel cut.

My next project will be an FD or RX-8(and I passed on a few FDs getting my FC), so I kinda know where you're at.

Make sure the car has no frame damage or was repaired by a reputable frame shop and the owner has receipts. If he doesn't get the frame checked before you buy, he shouldn't have a problem with it. If the frame shop doesn't have a problem then you shouldn't either.

Manual swaps are pretty easy, and if you can't find the parts in a junkyard they're aren't all that expensive. Worse comes to worse you can order the clutch master and slave, lines, pedals and driveshaft somewhere and get a Jspec which will come with the tranny. Then you have an extra motor to send out for serious porting and rebuild when you want some good power.

Don't listen to people who havn't owned an RX-7, because they don't know WTF they are talking about. Take care of the FD and she'll let you beat on her forever. Replace the old hoses with silicon and try to get rid of most of the rat's nest, do the reliability mods first, that's what fails on these cars, not the engine itself, but the overly complex peripherel systems, so simplify and you'll be in good shape. A motor in good shape running stock boost can run you over 100K miles of serious use. Look at fuel computers and pumps, you'll want to tune it, trust me you won't be able to help yourself, haha. So get the fuel stuff in place.

as for the price, well that varies greatly depending on the owner, where you are, etc etc etc. but I think that offer is pretty fair. I've seen really nice FDs with good tuning go for ~9k, and I've seen shitty ones go for 18k, just gotta look and see how things are in the market. The KBB and NADA values don't matter shit, just like with 240s. My FC probably isn't worth shit in there but I talked to some kid who bought an identical car for $5k and thought it was a steal, so...

also, lurk and post on RX-7 forums, I don't know how many other 7 owners are on a forum like this, so it probably won't do you much good. They'll tell you silly things like, "OMFG so unrelaible it will BLOW UP!" or "GET ANOTHER CAR!" or other stupid shit. ;)

also, I'm not the hugest fan of "the evil forum" but here: 3rd gen FAQ + buyers guides

I hope your negotiating goes well, you'll LOVE the 7.

we.gif

yea a rx7 cant be much worse on gas tor be less reliable than my 240(im not revealing why untill its complete, soon though). plus i got the audi to dd. which is probably less reliable than a rotary.

he put the car on the lift for me to check out underneath, and it looked to be a really good job. i saw exactly what was reapaired because it didnt get resprayed and its definitely a quality job.

we have about 3 pretty modified fd's around here and two have done auto to 5 speed swaps so if i need help, its a call away. plus i did it on my 240. and i get 20 perfent off advanced auto bc my buddy works there nd get 25 percent off new performance parts bc i got the hookup ;) (legally that is)

forums are the best source for information anywhere. i used to spend hours of time researching at zilvia and nico before attempting anything, so i would be prepared if anything went wrong. plus the for sale sections have everything you would ever need for cheap.

there is only really one thing to stop me from getting that 7.... a corrado i found this morning for cheap.

patrick10 said:
yea a rx7 cant be much worse on gas tor be less reliable than my 240(im not revealing why untill its complete, soon though). plus i got the audi to dd. which is probably less reliable than a rotary.

he put the car on the lift for me to check out underneath, and it looked to be a really good job. i saw exactly what was reapaired because it didnt get resprayed and its definitely a quality job.

we have about 3 pretty modified fd's around here and two have done auto to 5 speed swaps so if i need help, its a call away. plus i did it on my 240. and i get 20 perfent off advanced auto bc my buddy works there nd get 25 percent off new performance parts bc i got the hookup ;) (legally that is)

forums are the best source for information anywhere. i used to spend hours of time researching at zilvia and nico before attempting anything, so i would be prepared if anything went wrong. plus the for sale sections have everything you would ever need for cheap.

there is only really one thing to stop me from getting that 7.... a corrado i found this morning for cheap.

The forum Zenki linked to is a decent forum, but like him, I'm not a fan of that forum. It's not the most friendly forum, and there are plenty of people who don't know what they are talking about. Take a look on www.nopistons.com loads of good info, and much less BS.

If I recall http://www.fd3s.net/ has lots of good info as well. Somewhere on there used to be a guide with all the reliability mods. As mentioned before, the biggest problem I've heard stems from the factory cooling system. 1 case was of a motor heat soaking in traffic on a hot summer California day, guy went to accelerate and the motor shit a seal.

You obviously take the time to do research and sound to know what your doing with a wrench, so if you can keep your power demands in check till you get all the "can cause shit to blow" parts taken care of, you'll probably love the car.

I just remind people, Turbo rotaries are not 20r/22r toyota pickups, you can't follow the 30k+ mile oil filter change policy, and run the engine without coolant for 45 minutes to get home after blowing a head gasket... my brother has done this btw.

Anyone who doubts how long lasting a rotary can go, A friend of mine just sold a 300k mile n/a fc for 3k and it ran like it just came from Hiroshima. I've heard of 450k on one, and it only went because the owner mixed something in teh coolant that ate the seal.

rotaries constantly outlast thier piston counterparts in racing, some professional teams only rebuild thier engines once a season, instead of each race.

forums are the best source for information anywhere.
They can be a HUGE source of misinformation as well, and zilvia is ghey, but mark is cool.(mark is the guy who runs/owns it, he lives near me and runs a local forum as well, I don't think he likes zilvia either, hahahaha).

zenkidori said:
forums are the best source for information anywhere.
They can be a HUGE source of misinformation as well, and zilvia is ghey, but mark is cool.(mark is the guy who runs/owns it, he lives near me and runs a local forum as well, I don't think he likes zilvia either, hahahaha).
people are gay on zilvia but it still has a lot of good info. the for sale section is amazing as well.

if by amazing you mean overpriced junk, yeah. It's like club4ag. Way back in the day it was pretty cool, now the forum is pretty ghey but the reference stuff is bitchin.

zenkidori said:
if by amazing you mean overpriced junk, yeah. It's like club4ag. Way back in the day it was pretty cool, now the forum is pretty ghey but the reference stuff is bitchin.
so your saying my stuff im selling on there is over priced junk? im just messing but there is so much stuff on the for sale section, that its not hard at all to find great deals. plus i realized that to get the price you want, just lowball the hell out of the seller and eventually if it doesn't sell, he'll let it go for cheap.

btw club4ag sucks ass... its slow as fuck and a waste of time. i hate it so much but i guess thats because i dont have a 4ag

I'm saying most of the gayDM fanboys want gold for thier shit, and you can find better stuff other places, for cheaper usually.

you see, when I first got into drifting and touge, club4ag was pretty cool, and very useful, but then the magazines and tokyopoop came along.