How noisy (or quiet) your car is

Can't say for sure though, I'm usually listening to music too loud and or revving the nuts off the wankel. :p

Yup, fun noise > quiet. Here, it's WSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-PSHSHSHSH. :D

The tire roar! My tires grip and ride nicely, but damn are they loud. Driving along, it sounds a lot like I'm in a vehicle with large, chunky off-road tires.

ofc its about the frequency also...

lol, the Fairlane, at 70 mph, with the windows up, is very, very loud. The weather stripping both around the windows and around the doors is 95% gone on all 4 doors, and in places, you can see the road through the bottom of the door sill because the weather stripping is no longer even in place. Plus I have a 4.7 liter V8 from the 60's, with 2 glasspacks on it, and exhaust exiting in front of the rear tire.
Oddly enough, at 70 mph and 2750 rpm, the exhaust is only just loud enough to overpower the wind noise. you can hold a conversation, but you must raise you voice to do so. Quiet talkers have to raise their voices considerably, the radio can be heard quite clearly when it is at 50-60% max volume.

With the windows down, everything is the same, just 25% louder all-round. Don't bother with a conversation, short of yelling at other passengers, it's not possible. The radio (aftermarket Alpine unit from 10 or so years ago) must be nearly maxed to even hear it.
Naturally, I cannot hear my tires at any speed. ;)

The Blazer on the other hand, despite being as old as it is, and still having the original rubber in both doors and windows, is actually reasonably quiet inside at 70 mph. there is very little wind noise at all, and I consider the wind noise to not only be the least with this truck, but it is comparable to my parents newer cars, such as the 98 Old Aurora.
With the windows up you can easily have a conversation with anyone else in the vehicle, although people in the back seat will need to speak up slightly to be heard. The OEM radio is clearly audible at about 20-30%. Tire roar however, is by far the most audible thing in the truck. For the last several years, I have had light Mudder style tires on this, and while they were shockingly quiet at first, as they wore down, they got exponentially louder. Right now the tires are very worn (in need of replacement actually) and the tire roar is quite loud, although still no-where near as loud as the Fairlane's exhaust.
The truck also happens to have a short 18 inch glasspack on it, near the back, but it also has a catalytic converter, so unless I am over 3500 rpm, it is still fairly quiet inside (from all reports, its quite loud outside, but the sound does not travel at all)

With the windows down, the engine becomes the loudest thing. If the tailgate window is also down (which causes fumes in the rear seat, but not up front) the wind noise is only about 10-15% worse then windows up, and you hear more of the exhaust, but not much. Conversation is still easy if you are not on the Interstate. if on the interstate, the other vehicles on the road are usually so loud that conversation and radio is impossible.

The Saab is kind of in the middle between the Fairlane and Blazer, but it is closer to the blazer. There is much more wind noise in the Saab then the Blazer, but much less engine and tire note. With windows down, there is too much wind to have a conversation, but with them up, conversation is easy. The very old Michelin tires on the Saab are audible even with the windows up, but not loud.
Oddly enough, I can only hear the turbo in this at lower speeds, it's too quiet to hear over the other noises at any speed over 25 mph. I can hear the factory style bypass valve most of the time if I listen carefully though. The Saab does have a very nice exhaust note for a 4 banger though. Supposedly the muffler is a factory replacement that was put in less then 2 years ago.

TL; DR: The Fairlane is deafening, the Blazer quiet, and the Saab is louder then the blazer, but not much.

Last edited:
Just you lot wait until KaJuN comes along. :p

"I'M SORRY, COULD YOU REPEAT THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY ENGINE!"

:rolleyes:

Front roof down and doing 70 MPH. Will take alot to beat.

Challenge accepted. :p what are you guys using to measure db? all i can use is a stupid app on android. :p

Using an app called "Sound Meter' by Smart tools on my HTC Inspire, I measure 65 dB in the Fairlane at idle, going nowhere, with the windows down.

In the same situation, in neutral, going nowhere, all windows down, at 2800 rpm (near 70 mph rpm) I measure 85 dB

at 70 mph, with windows down, I can barely even hear the engine.

Technically the car is not legal at the moment (lapsed registration) so I can't get an actual dB reading at speed, but I bet it's pretty damn high if I am getting 85 dB without any wind noise even.

The only car I have ever been in that was louder then my Fairlane at speed is my Friends 1976 Plymouth Volare, that he did a top end job on the 318 (cam, heads, intake, carb, headers) as well as 18 inch long, 3" diameter glasspacks on, attaching directly to the long tube headers, and dumping under the car.
That thing is deafening, and certainly not legal loudness wise in most of the populated areas of the country

You decide.

Mind you, this video was taken late November. Things have been fixed, namely that squeak you'll hear. Glass pack exits where the stock exits. It's a 22".

The truck to me.. is a truck. There's a decent amount of wind noise. Engine noise, it's way more quiet that my brothers previous car, 94 bronco 5.8 with 18" glass pack.

The wind noise isn't defining but, at highway speeds (55-65) the engine is almost undetectable in cabin noise. After that, you hear it but, it's not exhausting to hear. Tire noise isn't bad, I have highway tires and they're quite good at keeping noise low.

First of all, we come around the world and drive on totally different types of tarmac etc. Mk1 Focus like sifu's is really, really noisy in Finland. Yet the same example is pretty bearable in German roads, as the tarmac doesn't have to withstand studded tires they can use much smaller stone particles etc.

Then comes the fact that phones are not calibrated. And after that comes the fact that even minor changes in the location of the dB meter can dramatically change the outcome. Only reliable way is to check measurements of your local and well respected car magazine. Like Auto Motor und Sport in Germany for example.

Anyway:

406 is pretty quiet up to 100km/h or so, after that the relatively close gearing causes the noise of the engine to enter the cabin a bit. Wind and tire noise are really well insulated. Finnish magazine Tekniikan Maailma (think Auto Motor und Sport -level of measurements) actually said the Pug is quieter than E39 generation 5er BMW.

The Mazda balances this a bit. All bushing is now polyurethane, including the differential carriers. Those transmit everything from the driveline and noisy AD08 tires to the cabin. I tried to lower the tire noise amount a bit by buying a rather loud exhaust, so now after 3500 rpm I can only hear the engine... :p

I won't even start about the 4Runner, but my Civic Si is fairly loud. Plenty of wind noise and tire roar. Of course, it was a bit lighter than it's competition, so I guess less sound insulation can be good and bad.

Convertible, so....

Plus I have tons of valve train noise, which is apparently normal. I can hear the pushrods clattering away.

But to answer your question, tires make a huge difference. My newer ones (Pilot Super Sports) are a lot better ride and I think quieter than my old Pilot Sport 2s.
Yeah, things are definitely improved with the Pilot Super Sports on my Civic. :p

Very quiet.

First time I've ever heard someone call an Octavia quiet.

Road noise is my number one complaint with what otherwise is an excellent car.

First time I've ever heard someone call an Octavia quiet.

Road noise is my number one complaint with what otherwise is an excellent car.

I blame that on Finland/tyres rather than the car :dunno:

Compared with every other car I've driven mine is easily the quietest. To be fair though, those that might have beaten it (Superbs, Audis, Passats) were diesels and lost before even setting off just by starting the engine :lol: obviously, of the diesel barges the Superb was quietest of course :nod:

I blame that on Finland/tyres rather than the car :dunno:

I don't know if blame is the right word to use here, but yes, I find Octavias in general to be very sensitive to both tire selection and road surface conditions. Much more so than many other cars I've driven. Namely a Volvo V50 (roughly comparable car) which I thought had studless tyres under it until I got out to have a look and noticed it had fresh studded Continentals.

Scandinavian asphalt is much more coarse than in other places due to our climate and the use of studded tyres. My Skoda dealer also, cleverly enough, fits all their demonstrators with studless tyres. I ordered mine with studded without having a chance to try them on the car first, and that's a mistake I won't be making again.

The TSI on the other hand is wonderfully quiet. Almost too quiet when you actually want to hear it. :p

Last edited:
May car seems tire-noise noisy.

Besides changing tires (I'm not buying new wheels, and there are few tires that fit my car) are there any other tips for quieting this? Like, are there bushings or something, or specific places to put sound-deadening materials?