No 56k: How the West Was Won and Where It Got Us or public goes america (photodump)

public

Captain Slow Charging
Car(s)
Atomic toaster
GREETINGS

A little while ago we did the long-awaited bookings of tickets and ended up in LA via Copenhagen, accommodated by the amiable altoid. Since I had my camera with me, along with my phone, I ended up taking some 2000 photos during the ten-day trip. I whittled it all down to less than 80, and here are the ones I figured were worth posting with comments. There's a ton of pics, but you have a scroll bar, right?

Copenhagen first:

Oj6R5hR.jpg

dUbqeXq.jpg

iMJyou6.jpg

Yr3Gp7N.jpg

Then, after a 12-hour layover and a ten-hour flight with included airport serious business (and a good night's sleep):

wMLfxxz.jpg

Beautiful In'N'Out!

pXyCpYf.jpg

iXy5mQC.jpg

Bagels, yes please. We had them all, with *small* cups of coffee.

xjsVo6t.jpg

The police station from Last Action Hero...

7rXEtVD.jpg

And a post office.

wTKgI3n.jpg

tiNW7Ik.jpg

Altoid and his lovely girlfriend. They were the kindest people.

IlrIs72.jpg

BAYWATCH

fkXlU7n.jpg

This is the Aveo we got. It's even a manual one.

L4MfCA3.jpg

Boats. Birds. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

UWDV03M.jpg

A BLARO

TCTNZog.jpg

With some Swedish chemical weapons. We all nearly died.

9uGfh8m.jpg

ti1XRfp.jpg

Nakatomi Plaza!

ofoVu9P.jpg

This is the view from there.

lL5k3hO.jpg

Then we drove north.

jStB6p8.jpg

JJH3rEG.jpg

The Yalama Beach Caf? in Lompoc was lovely. Just the kind of diner I wanted to go to.

pbalCOW.jpg

San Simeon Bay.

u9Idrtn.jpg

Sea elephant dudebros.

DA0erYf.jpg

Pacific Coast Highway...

sayTwEG.jpg

QPoC5Mq.jpg

Some RV:s in there, too.

3pMJPNU.jpg

VednwD1.jpg

AmH4iz5.jpg

We wanted to go to the lighthouse but couldn't.

9VSXj83.jpg

Lombard Street, San Francisco.

935JUiY.jpg

I did have the chowder in a bread bowl.

rDG8UU0.jpg

tG6DuQB.jpg

TRANSAMERICA

vvNv1SF.jpg

CISAMERICA?

tNHA5Dd.jpg

ciyVQPV.jpg

Tasty oysters. I had the cheapest ones.

2UzwYfB.jpg

JoNfAdO.jpg

The following day was kinda grey.

b0ANCpU.jpg

Hipster breakfast.

jgNKqJG.jpg

Golden Gate, in the fog.

qGIJufR.jpg

A quick drive via I-5.

aKKsGID.jpg

Hollywood, here we are.

547jusl.jpg

OuK9iIP.jpg

oVJB0id.jpg

le9wTow.jpg

Swapped vehicles and drove to the sunset.

J8ycsvL.jpg

LA as seen from the Griffith Observatory.

0xTnZqJ.jpg

Griffith Observatory as seen from the balcony.

qQcI1wm.jpg

Modesty!

a1v9Cb0.jpg

The brilliant human being that is altoid.

HOQbQ8Z.jpg

ozQXiKD.jpg

Mediterranean lunch and Throwback Pepsi.

meNTiEk.jpg

Borrowing altoid's miatoid for a little while.

n9zyRiB.jpg

Culver Hotel, Culver City.

DoKut48.jpg

Inside Flynn's Arcade.

yZQWMuS.jpg

2OjuLhl.jpg

WluFOIA.jpg

The other compact car we got.

gT4c6sP.jpg

Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach.

c5Y5FZr.jpg

SMz49jn.jpg

UNNjMbY.jpg

America means motion blurred ambulances in action.

vv1KfVM.jpg

We did go there.

y8zxEuV.jpg

Ah, nice beers. I had the 90 Minute by Dogfish.

6dB3MkV.jpg

XC6cSOH.jpg

NEHoGxK.jpg

Tender Greens is the best.

BORv1A1.jpg

So is In'N'Out.

4vK2wLH.jpg

Perhaps a coast-to-coast drive in a camper next?

Unladen, it's a bit bumpy on an unevenly surfaced freeway like the I-405 at 60mph. By a bit bumpy, I thought I was going to catch air. But it's awesome, it's such a huge thing and yet picks up speed without complaints. This one had the 6.7-litre Cummins turbodiesel and the Aisin 6-speed auto.

Nice pics! Anna and I did almost the same trip in 2012, except for us meeting skidd and Emarline instead of altoid and Blake.

Our next US trip will be Chicago -> St. Louis -> Mempis -> NYC in October.

EDIT: I also approve of your girlfriend's haircut.

Nice pics! Anna and I did almost the same trip in 2012, except for us meeting skidd and Emarline instead of altoid and Blake.

Our next US trip will be Chicago -> St. Louis -> Mempis -> NYC in October.

EDIT: I also approve of your girlfriend's haircut.

"They're ok, I wouldn't say they're nice." :p

I approve of the haircut too! And your trip idea sounds pretty dang excellent. I think we should fly back to SF at some point and drive north from there...

Great shots, thanks for posting! :cool:

I hope you had a run down Lombard St., I did when I was there but only as a passenger.

Also, I think that the Griffith Observatory has featured in some movie too, maybe a 1950s James Dean one or something. :?

Good job I didn't care much for the other locations, we wouldn't have gotten anywhere else :p

I hope you had a run down Lombard St., I did when I was there but only as a passenger.

We just walked there a bit, it was kinda crowded already early Thursday morning.

Probably a bit of a tourist trap, hence lots busy. :sad:

As you may expect, public was well aware of this: http://www.jamescamerononline.com/TheTerminatorLocations1.htm :D

Ah that one too and many others it seems.

This one that was lurking in my memory:
(I had to look it up.)

Wiki said:
Film
The observatory was featured in two major sequences of the celebrated James Dean film Rebel Without a Cause (1955), which helped to make it an international emblem of Los Angeles. A bust of Dean was subsequently placed at the west side of the grounds.

:smile:

Unladen, it's a bit bumpy on an unevenly surfaced freeway like the I-405 at 60mph. By a bit bumpy, I thought I was going to catch air. But it's awesome, it's such a huge thing and yet picks up speed without complaints. This one had the 6.7-litre Cummins turbodiesel and the Aisin 6-speed auto.

That's always been the trade off with heavy duty trucks, the ride can be pretty bad without some weight in the truck.

Big Sur and all of the Northern California / Oregon coast is absolutely beautiful: http://www.viper007bond.com/tag/san-diego-road-trip-2012/

This guy knows his shit.

California in and south of the Bay Area is what people think of the most, and is kind of the "heart" of California. However, going north yields amazing views, all through Vancouver, BC (and probably even further, but I've never been). Both Oregon and Washington have stunning views that are worth seeing unless you hate nature. :D

I think we should fly back to SF at some point and drive north from there...

My parents did that last year (SF -> Seattle) and were pretty happy with it. But do it in August or September since the weather is much nicer that time around. My parents went in June and had a lot of fog, so they didn't get to enjoy the views as much.

Excellent thread! How good is In'n'Out though, right? :)

Excellent thread! How good is In'n'Out though, right? :)

For the money, for the service, for the experience it's very good. My GF has a hard time deciding what to order, anywhere: but in In'N'Out, there are three burgers to choose from and that's it.

I didn't tell her about the secret menu. :p

I've been to restaurants that serve $10 burgers that taste a lot worse.