How to be a f'ing arsehole: Lessons from Cologne

EDIT: And, of course, German Police has to get their heads of of their arses. Anyone sexually molesting a woman or setting fire to someting - be it a refugee or a right-wing nutjob - has to be brought to justice swiftly. Right now, Police is failing to deliver and instead pushing pet projects like video surveillance...

Wait, there's a crime problem in Germany? I bet it's those pesky neo-Nazis! If only you would have controlled the spread of neo-Nazism before it became a massive problem, all of this could've been prevented. Why didn't anyone speak up against them?

You really have to ask? :rolleyes:

Even the "FAZ", Germany's conservative daily, says so. Seriously, use google translate, ask a German-speaking friend, that FAZ article is the best thing I've read about Cologne. And I read a lot.
Second! One issue she touches on is the near impossibility of discussing the problem due to the extremists' efforts to hijack that discussion. It's not an issue of things you can't say, but one of screaming versus talking.

the only solution I can think of right now is a mandatory German class and "that's how Germany works" class entangled with it for every person coming into this country within a fortnight after arrival. That'll cost a lot of money. But keeping people who don't have any frame of reference as to how society works outside of "war zone" under control otherwise will be most costly.
I've done a lot of volunteering and some paid work for a non-profit student exchange organisation. The things that cause problems can and do often come - seemingly - out of nowhere and can cause serious conflicts. And that's between voluntary host families and exchange students who receive qualified advice and orientation.

You are 100% correct. The reasons for the conflicts between Europeans and refugees are even more diverse than the people fighting them out. However, many of those people appear incapable of understanding that fact and resort to the same tactics that have never caused anything but hatred: blaming the "enemies" and their alleged character flaws. When <i>"They are different and hence bad, throw them out!"</i> is as far as it gets, the problem is not immigration, but ignorance.

EDIT: And, of course, German Police has to get their heads of of their arses. Anyone sexually molesting a woman or setting fire to someting - be it a refugee or a right-wing nutjob - has to be brought to justice swiftly. Right now, Police is failing to deliver and instead pushing pet projects like video surveillance...
True, but what's happening is the opposite: skirmishes between the police and politicians. Yesterday, the leadership of the Cologne police department snubbed the mayor who had requested their presence at a conference: Eklat im Hauptausschuss Keine Zeit! Polizeispitze br?skiert Politiker und OB Reker.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you trying to be funny or are you just daft?
He used an ISIS flag as his avatar at one point. Question answered?

I wanted to +rep Dr_Grip's post, but apparently this feature is gone. :dunno:
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write it and for pointing me to that article. I shall read it.

The rep feature is disabled in the politics section because of probable unwanted flame-reps.

Yes, thank you for translating, Dr_Grip.

I think there's some truth to both sides. Yes, the violence that took place in Cologne is largely the result of a complete lack of understanding of how to act in a western society. For lack or a better word, I'll call this "barbarism" because sexual assault is, quite frankly, barbaric. However, the countries that these people came from are under Sharia law, which is also quite barbaric in how it views women. When these men don't realize how to act in Germany, they default to acting like they did back home under Sharia because that's all they know. Of course they will be tempted by women showing a little skin and of course they don't realize how taboo it is to simply reach out and squeeze. To suggest that Islam has absolutely nothing to do with these sexual assaults is to be completely blinded by political correctness, imho.

Discrimination is not an Islamic problem but a general one. If you look into the Christian history, you'll see that women's rights have only been an issue for the last 150 years or so in our societies, too.

While I agree that there is some catching up to do for those who come here from countries that are less developed as ours (sounds bad but hard to find the right words), the main issue is the latent xenophobia and racism in many western men. And it comes to daylight in an especially nasty way, when women were being molested by a group of some black-haired, black-eyed foreigners are involved. Then it's a HUGE issue.

I wonder if the public reaction would have been the same, if instead of a group of African/Arabian-looking men, for instance a group of drunken Norwegians or drunken Britons were responsible for the attacks. And if we are honest, we already know the answer: No! The public outcry would only have been a fraction of what it is now.

And that's the worrying point.

Last edited:
The rep feature is disabled in the politics section because of probable unwanted flame-reps.

I noticed that after posting.Thanks anyway. :)

Discrimination is not an Islamic problem but a general one. If you look into the Christian history, you'll see that women's rights have only been an issue for the last 150 years or so in our societies, too.

While I agree that there is some catching up to do for those who come here from countries that are less developed as ours (sounds bad but hard to find the right words), the main issue is the latent xenophobia and racism in many western men. And it comes to daylight in an especially nasty way, when women were being molested by a group of some black-haired, black-eyed foreigners are involved. Then it's a HUGE issue.

I wonder if the public reaction would have been the same, if instead of a group of African/Arabian-looking men, for instance a group of drunken Norwegians or drunken Britons were responsible for the attacks. And if we are honest, we already know the answer: No! The public outcry would only have been a fraction of what it is now.

And that's the worrying point.
Yeah but western xenophobes and racists weren't the ones that assaulted 500+ women, now were they? Also, Norwegians and Britons come from places where women have rights and aren't looked down upon, which is probably why Norwegians and Britons aren't the ones involved in mass sexual assault.

I was talking hypothetically, I didn't want to imply anything.

Reading is only part one, understanding is part two ;)

Ah yes, the typical MacGuffin comeback - make it personal and imply superior intelligence over the other party. How sad and predictable you are.

Here's a question: do you honestly believe thay bringing in over a million refugees has been beneficial for your country?

Here we go again..

Firstly: One doesn't need superior intelligence to reply to your posts. Average intelligence is more than enough. And the only person who makes it personal is you by writing such stupid things in the first place.

Secondly: We did not bring the refugees in, they weren't invited. Doesn't somewhere in your mind ring a warning bell that the term "refugee" and "invited" somehow don't go together?

What is your alternative then, hm? The facts are the facts. Millions of desperate people are arriving in Europe, many women and children among them. If you have any trace of humanity left, you do not let them starve or freeze to death, you let them in -- even though you know it's gonna cause problems.

Would I prefer the refugees somehow magically to disappear? YES.

Will it happen? NO!

So all we have left in order to handle the situation, is our humanity and our Christian values, which -- as I seem to have to remind you --compassion is a key virtue of. If you have problems understanding the term "compassion", Wikipedia is your friend. Or maybe someone from your local church explains it to you.

What people around the world don't seem to get is that we do not let the refugees in because we love to welcome millions of strangers here but because we recognize our responsibility as a civilized country for people in need. Other countries in Europe clearly see it differently and those have my express contempt.

I wish I could make people understand that with their xenophobic behaviour they're doing IS a favour. I wish I could make them think long enough to realize that welcoming the refugees in Europe is what IS does not want and that with rejecting the refugees, with de-humanizing them, criminalizing them they actively support the terror and fanatism of IS. But that would require intelligence -- and the ability for looking further than their own nose.

But the reality in Europe at the moment is that in many countries we have rightwing populists on the march (or already in power), who give a shit about anything than cementing their own power -- and who have a stupid mass of countryfolk that blindly follows their madness. And isn't it ironic that of all countries in the world, Germany is currently being attacked for being too compassionate and soft?

If it wasn't so sad, I'd roll on the floor laughing.

And before this escalates any further: I know you're not stupid. But you are immune to feedback, that's why you often write such terribly stupid things. Try being more open, try letting stuff into your brain and let it think logically about it.

Last edited:
Are you trying to be funny or are you just daft?
Most of the Germans posting here don't seem to understand who is perpetrating these crimes. So maybe taking a harder stance on neo-Nazism would help. I mean, do you see any other way to prevent these kinds of events in the future? I hope you're not suggesting it's the asylum seekers committing these atrocities. They only want peace and love after all they've experiences in their war-torn home countries. Oh, and you couldn't do anything at all about them, anyway. Because reasons.

Yes, thank you for translating, Dr_Grip.
The thoughts posted by me are my own rantalysis. Regarding Baum's text, please use google translate :)