How to get rid of old car mags?

Gingertom

Car(s)
'04 Skoda Octavia vRS
So, I've been reading car magazines since I was about 10 and subscribing since I was about 12. As you can imagine I've built up quite a collection since then and because I'm a journalist (at least that's what the certificate on my wall says!) I can't bring myself to simply throw them in the bin!

I've managed to whittle it down to about half that I want to keep and half that I want to get rid of. The majority are Autocar magazines from 2002-present, with around 30 Top Gears and 10-15 F1 Racings and Autosports from around the same period.

So the question is: Does anyone know a good way of getting rid of these apart from throwing them away, recycling them or burning them? Or does anyone want one/some/all of them? I'm not bothered about making money by selling them, (they're not really worth anything anyway) so I've already ruled out eBay.

Please advise me! :D

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Try finding a local used book store that also has used magazines. I'm sure they would buy or accept them.

Gingertom

Car(s)
'04 Skoda Octavia vRS
Nice idea, I hadn't considered that. Definitely worth looking into, thanks. :)

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Nice idea, I hadn't considered that. Definitely worth looking into, thanks. :)
No problem. I remember as a teenager I'd go to Gardner's Books on Mingo in Tulsa and look for magazines that featured my current car at the time, a 1986 Acura Integra.

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V
I'd have those F1/Autosport mags... :p Not kidding actually, really. You think we could arrange something?

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
Do you have any classic car magazines? :)

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
Donate a dozen or two to your local dentist/doctor's, at least the patients will have some decent reading, other than Good Homes 1996

Gingertom

Car(s)
'04 Skoda Octavia vRS
Donate to a local library?
Definitely worth a try too.

I'd have those F1/Autosport mags... :p Not kidding actually, really. You think we could arrange something?
Sure. I've just counted them properly and there's 21 Autosports and 8 F1 Racings; all from about 2005 to 2012. I've no idea what the postage would cost though, they're not exactly light! :lol:

Do you have any classic car magazines? :)
No, sorry. Only that 1 you can see on the top of the pile.

Donate a dozen or two to your local dentist/doctor's, at least the patients will have some decent reading, other than Good Homes 1996
Might be worth a try. Although, I think my dentist already has a collection of a similar age already! :lol:

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V
Would you be a dear and find out what kind of postage we're talking here? Standard delivery to Slovenia, no rush involved. I love reading this kind of material, especially if it's from my favourite time in F1 (dem V10s baby).

Gingertom

Car(s)
'04 Skoda Octavia vRS
No problem! I'm at work all day tomorrow but I've got tuesday off, so I'll try and get a quote then. :)

Davetouch

is un-Stoppable
Car(s)
'00 9-3 2.0 Turbo Vert, Various MGs, '99 Ringoo
I used to have a large TG mag collection from about '98 and considered 'selling' them individually for basically postage costs to anyone that wanted a specific mag from a certain date. I'm sure there are a few people on FG that would want that - I'm sure I'd want to read the April '92 editions :p

Unfortunately my parents threw out all of them while I was out because I hadn't told them my plan :(

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'77 Triumph Dolomite 1300 + '83 Triumph Acclaim
I used to have a large TG mag collection from about '98 and considered 'selling' them individually for basically postage costs to anyone that wanted a specific mag from a certain date. I'm sure there are a few people on FG that would want that - I'm sure I'd want to read the April '92 editions :p

Unfortunately my parents threw out all of them while I was out because I hadn't told them my plan :(
My parents did the same with my stacks of Practical Classics, had several years worth under my bed. :(