• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

how to raise cpu shut down temp.

jasonchiu

Forum Addict
guys i was playing nfs porshe with my friends, i was in the lead then my pc gave up and shut down...........well restart. i think its coz of my pc shut odwn temp is set at like 60

hwo to raise to 70?

Its possible it was set at 60˚C (im assuming) for a reason since most components have trouble operating correctly above 60˚C. If you really want to do that, there should be an option in the BIOS (press Delete or F12 or F2 or F8 when your computer is starting) somewhere to change the shutdown threshold.

in your BIOS. Try tapping "delete" when your PC is starting up. It may be a different key depending on your system.

edit: hokie beat me to it :)

yes, should be able to

:eek: If possible, don't increase it, look for ways to add cooling instead.

ESPNSTI said:
:eek: If possible, don't increase it, look for ways to add cooling instead.

that is very good advice. Heat can kill hardware. Is your cpu fan going out or something?

Last summer, I had problems with my PC restarting when playing games or watching vids. I thought it may have been the temp too, but it turns out my RAM was going bad. Have you tried runnning a mem test lately?

Yeah I would definitely suggest that you try to solve the problem instead of raising the limit. I had a machine that would run for 10 minutes and then shutdown. You could almost set your watch to it. I went back and forth with the vendor who sold me the mobo, CPU and fan combo, and they assured me that the fan was rated high enough to handle it, turns out it wasn't, and that's the reason I don't trust packaged fans anymore and always go out and buy a fan that is recommended by the CPU manufacturer.

see what TOO MUCH internet piracy causes... :lol: :lol:

60! that the safest temp for max!

dont increase it, something is up with your pc, my pc runs always below 45*C at max usage, and i live in the Middle East!. Get better cooling, min. a fan in the front (take air in), fan at the back (takes air out), can drop temps by 5-10*C.

most of the cpu's can still work at 70˚C, and even at 80˚C they wont fail.
Most Athlon CPU's have been designed still to work at 85˚C, some at 95˚C.

if your cpu gets 65 degrees there is noting to worry about.
If it gets above your cpu will live but i would personally suggest better cooling.
Setting the treshold at 70 isnt really a big deal so i would suggest doing that first.

I'm still curious if your RAM is the problem. This exact same thing happened to me...

Did it just recently start crashing? Usually when that happens there is a lot of dust blocking the airflow inside the case. You need cans of compressed air to blow the dust out of the heatsinks and everything else.

Another thing you'll want to check is the CPU fan, run the computer with the side-panel off and verify that it works properly, if it barely spins or makes any strange grinding sounds, buy a new fan.

Re: how to raise cpu shut down temp.

jasonchiu said:
guys i was playing nfs porshe with my friends, i was in the lead then my pc gave up and shut down...........well restart. i think its coz of my pc shut odwn temp is set at like 60

hwo to raise to 70?

You guys aren't understanding his problems. The main probles is that he was in the lead... :twisted:

AMDs CPus critical limit is a bit over 80 celcius. Dunno what Intel chips can take. Whatever you do, dont disable the alarm completely.

What you atleast should get is a case fan if there aint one. Getting the air flow through the case helps alot.

jason... the CPU shutdown temperature is there for a reason, maybe cuz you overclocked it from 1.8Ghz to 2.4.... and try to invest in a better cooling system ;)

yeah true but i have the air con on and shit u know. and mine is a intel and i have liek 1.25G of ram. maybe its my graphics card or mobo. i wanna replace my mobo but donno whats good and donno if it compatiable with my other stuff

motherboards are usually compatible with most of the stuff, you make sure you get the right socket for the CPU, and RAM barely heats up during use.... it shuts down because your CPU is hot, maybe you should buy a new heat-sink or just stop overclocking your cpu ;)

What sort of a fan are you using? If you are using the heatsink\fan that came with your processor you should not be overclocking it and turning down the temperature shutdown threshold. That's just common sense. :?

(And air-conditioning means nothing in terms of overclocking :bangin:)