How to replace a windshield fluid resevoir cointainer?

mooglebunny

Car(s)
2013 Mazda3i Touring SkyActiv
Apparently at some point the previous driver of the car *cough* gouged the reservoir and someone at some point repaired it with some cheap glue. Well just shortly after I moved with the car the glue started letting go and leaking the fluid out. My dad took at look at it and after barely poking the glue lightly with his finger it broke. He suggested that I go to a junkyard and see if I can pull out a junkyard container.

The thing is, is that I think the container is a bit different in Mirages than in other cars (maybe even other Mitsubishis). It is a GIANT container that takes up a good part of the front right half of the car. Now, I'm not actually sure what kinds of tools and abilities are needed to remove one from a junkyard one because I took a look at the one in mine today and it looked like it would be a bit odd to remove.

I can take pictures of my car's container if need be, but I don't know what the containers look like on the older generation models (all the Pick and Pull has are 95 and a 94 mirages and a few older eclipses if that may work, limited inventory.)

Yes, I do need to get this replaced as soon as possible. I live in an area with a massive amount of trees/dirt and it is an outdoor car (not like it's worth garaging anyway). We're getting rain overnight so now I have to deal with dirt/pollen spotting on the windshield.

I appreciate any advice, so thanks in advance if you can help out. @_@ I'm new to uhm.... Replacing parts myself.

Last edited:
Unfortunately each car is different. For example: On my X300, you disconnect the lines, unbolt it from the bottom of the car and remove it that way. My Pathfinder's is held in by a single bolt and comes out the top. The XJ6's requires some odd gyrations to get to the bolts that hold it in, and I haven't looked at the Crown Vic's enough to know.

In any case, you will need some tools - have you invested in a toolkit yet? Doesn't cost much to get started.

Yeah, those ebay links look like the one in my car. See what I mean, it's a giant tank. O_O I'm not sure exactly but if I can get a hold of the tank my Dad said he would show me how to install it. My other house has a massive stock of tools since my Grandpa's hobby was building things (he built his own house because he learned how to be a house contractor under his dad). I don't think I have adequate tools to access here where I am at right now though.

Well in any case, I probably couldn't use an old one anyway (looks like it's different for the 97-01 models), and the 97 model they had got recycled in the last couple of weeks.

I didn't honestly think about ebay, I don't normally ever look there for anything, ever.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

You can get anything on eBay. Including a perfectly good slightly used Jaguar sedan for $800. So it pays to at least look there.

Also, regarding tools - you may want to go buy a $100 Sears Craftsman set anyway. Old guys tended to have SAE tools and not metric, and your car is emphatically metric.

Well I might if need be. He does have a toolset that is more modern I believe as well (I think my Stepmom got him one that was on sale a few years ago, a Sears one). He's been doing his own tuning and improvements on his 95 Z28 Camaro lately so I assume he has some type of modern tool set. He is probably the best person I know personally who could work on a car like mine (He owned a '00 Eclipse and regretted it I think, he called it the Crapsubishi).

I'll call him up tomorrow or Thursday and see what he thinks about the ebay thing, he'll probably be like yeah whatever just get me a reservoir.