How to start an online shopping site

MadCow809

Forum Addict
So I've been thinking about starting an online shopping site for the local South African market. It's relatively a new industry for the local market, since most potential customers still prefer the traditional method of buying the goods from a reputable store/shop.

Having said that, I'm prepared to promote the sites by doing some regular promotions/events/advertising. I have another 2 partners that are both committed to this project.

Now, my question is, what is the normal procedure to setup an online shopping site? Is there some ready made shell sites available for purchase and modification? Like buying a site with the basic backbone structure, or alternatively, renting a pre-made site with all the admin functions available to the webmaster.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know that much about this, though I'm sure there are companies that offer shopping site building, but you could easily and quickly start a shop page on eBay.

I'm sure there's someone here that can help you.

i worked for a webshop for a year, and there are indeed several interfaces you can buy/download

we used oscommerce, which is open-source, hence for free
here are some free ones(in dutch, but just search for them on google)

Last edited:
There are many e-commerce solutions out there. For free ones check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_eCommerce_software
There are many paid ones too, Magento, X-Cart. Apart from this you need a Server, and some basic OS skills to install php, mysql, FTP server, webserver since most of these tools will require them. But many servers can also be preconfigured....

What sort of goods are you planning to sell?

i worked for a webshop for a year, and there are indeed several interfaces you can buy/download

we used oscommerce, which is open-source, hence for free
here are some free ones(in dutch, but just search for them on google)

Thanks, will take a look :cool:

First of all, Thanks for the prompt replies : )

What sort of goods are you planning to sell?

Small gadgets, jewelery, affordable/common electronic products like mp3 players etc. So targeting young adults and ladies around the age of 25~35.

I don't really know that much about this, though I'm sure there are companies that offer shopping site building, but you could easily and quickly start a shop page on eBay.

I'm sure there's someone here that can help you.

We don't really use eBay in South Africa, so that's out of the equation. :(

The thing is, South Africa doesn't have any collective commercial sites like eBay/Amazon that deals with all online shopping. It's mostly reputable companies that offers very specific products to their clients, mostly done through a traditional marketing strategy.

I've got until the end of March to present all the list of options to my investor, obviously in the form of a report, with. So, feel free to contribute any useful information or links. Any information will be greatly appreciated. :cool: I have the next month and half to draft up an extensive report on the SA online industry.

Last edited: