How to talk about Anorexia?

HondaF1

Aussie Bastard
Car(s)
First Aberdeen Bus Network
I have a question regarding anorexia. I know someone who has lost a lot weight, is feeling insecure about how she looks and calls herself fat. She eats only a fraction of what a "normal" person would eat for a meal. She weighs 45kgs. She looks like she is boardering on anorexia and friends have started asking me if she is anorexic.

Whats the best way to have a discussion with her about anorexia?

"Hey, I'm getting really concerned about your health. It seems like you have lost alot of weight recently, have you been to see a doctor? Some of us are really worried that you might be anorexic."

Anorexia is one of the hardest mental disorders to control and results in more deaths than almost any other psychological diagnosis. If she really is that sick then she needs to get into therapy right away with someone who specializes in eating disorders. Waiting until she goes to the ER and they stick a tube up her nose will only make it worse. She needs to regain some control.

^ Good advice. Thank you :)

Its a really difficult condition to deal with, a lot of it is about a lack of self esteem. Maybe this sounds a little strange, but act normal around her, make her feel confident and comfortable and don't bring it up, unless she gets worse and worse.

Having said that 45 KGs is really light.

Don't mess around, contact a professional (doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc...) and ask him/her how to go about things.

I think professional help is the best thing, it might be easier (quicker) if you do the research instead of hoping that she gets around to it. I've seen a number of articles etc in magazines that are eye-opening, maybe if she read some she might see things differently.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Much apprieciated.

Hope everything turns out well...I have no idea how to deal with a situation like that because everybody reacts different to suggestions.

"Hey, I'm getting really concerned about your health. It seems like you have lost alot of weight recently, have you been to see a doctor? Some of us are really worried that you might be anorexic."

I wouldn't mention anorexia. I'd just express your concerns.

There was a segment on BBC's breakfast show about it and how younger people were starting to get the condition as they felt pressure to look more like super models. It5s starting to become much more common now with the celebrity culture we have here in the UK.

Just tell her she amounts to nothing. If she asks why just explain that you are what you eat.

:drums:
/Too harsh?
//Not funny?
///I chuckled
////I made myself sad :(

Its a really difficult condition to deal with, a lot of it is about a lack of self esteem. Maybe this sounds a little strange, but act normal around her, make her feel confident and comfortable and don't bring it up, unless she gets worse and worse.

Having said that 45 KGs is really light.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Sorry, but there's no gentle way to say it. If "acting normal" would do the trick then the problem never would have come up in the first place. You are putting the Cart before the Camilla here.

Let me make this abundantly clear: If she genuinely has Anorexia and everyone ignores it she will die.

End of line.

tell her she's fat and looks disgusting, then offer her some cheese and tell her you know she's hungry, fatty fatty fatterton.

but seriously, tell her she needs help, that she doesn't look good because she's so skinny, that it's having the opposite effect, and that she needs help. if she doesn't listen there isn't much you can do.

id say exactly that, minus the anorexic part. when you say stuff like that to skinny people, it pisses them off. I know it pisses me off because Im skinny as a toothpick but eat like a footballer. Id just tell her youre worried. etc etc...but like I said, i think its a nice idea to leave the anorexic part out

There is a difference between being thin and being dangerously underweight. If she's restricting her food intake as was indicated and her weight has continued to drop then someone does need to say the "A-word."

as a person who actually knows an anorexic girl, i think you should consult a professional. look up a hotline for psychology or something and describe the situation to them and ask them, they know best.
a girl i know, who was always quite skinny, became anorexic and her family noticed it and managed to get her into therapy. so assuming the person you're talking about has contact with her family i'd personally recommend discussing it with her family and having them approach her about it.
best of luck,

not to hijack this thread, but I couldnt help but notice you currently have 666 posts.

I hope youre feeling lucky today.