How Top Gear should end?

settler

Car(s)
VW Corrado VR6
This is Richard's view on the subject:

It's not pretty to watch once-popular shows and their stars drag things on years beyond their relevance. Everything that's hot, hip, and new right now -- the media creations that set tongues wagging -- they're all headed for their respective versions of Vegas Elvis. Even Top Gear, regarded by many to be the best car programming of all time, has a Bedazzled jumpsuit hiding somewhere in the wardrobe trailer.

Presenter Richard Hammond has said that he, James May, and Jeremy Clarkson have discussed how the show should go out. An exit at the top of its game without undue fanfare seems to be the prevailing wisdom; the only trouble will be knowing when that time is without overshooting it.

Rather than have an over-the-top final episode extravaganza, Top Gear will end its run like a regular signoff, at least if Hammond's vision becomes the plan for closure. Instead of a show full of surprises, the biggest surprise of all will be that there are no more shows forthcoming. Ending TG sounds sad, but it would likely not hold the boys back. The success of Top Gear has opened other doors for the presenters and given them status as media personalities that now makes it possible for numerous side gigs. Hammond himself has several irons in the fire in addition to Top Gear, so even if the program goes out at its zenith, we may yet see the Hamster in that jumpsuit, if only for some stunt on one of his other shows.

source - http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/06/richard-hammond-says-i-top-gear-i-to-go-out-on-a-surprise-hig/

And what do you think about it? Should it end at certain point or go forever?

Top gear is like the universe. It goes on forever, expanding and expanding, and even accelerates in expansion with no end.

orrrrrr

Everything should explode. Every car review should have an explosion. The last episode should feature caravans and speed cameras and traffic wombles being decimated and destroyed in every which way possible.

The last ep should contain, among others this:
* Clarkson goes to France in the new Citroen Berlingo Multispace
* Clarkson compares the Pagani Zonda F to the Lamborghini Murcielago replacement
* Farewell from the Stig, the test track, and the power laptime board
* Richard beats a speed camera by going really fast while towing an caravan on fire
* Clarkson finally stops the Volvo 740 runing on vegetable oil
* James buys his Bentley T2 back

Last edited:
Clarkson should come to the middle east a learn how to drift lol

I think some kind of a massive clip like the Aston V12 one, in which all three have their favourite cars, or maybe their own cars. Maybe an hour special on some massive road trip visiting important TG places.

It would end at the track, where the camera is mounted on a helicopter - so it starts off moving slowly along the ground, where the three of them drive onto (and maybe round) the track, before ending on the runway where they all floor it away from the camera (optional explosions along the runway with this), before it takes off and basically does one epic [still single and uncut] shot going up from the track where you can see the three of them driving around and continuing out into the countryside, to the [full length] tune of Jessica. Fade out without credits, obviously.

Yes, I would love to be a director.

Wait, didn't we have this thread about a month ago? And the month before? And the one before?
The autoblog article is a nice hook to start another of this threads, but still, it's as useful as an asshole on the elbow.

I think it would be nice to see a special goodbye episode. I don't know what it might contain, but it should be something special IMO.

I, too, vote for "never" since I only just started watching. But my second thought went with LurkerPatrol- blow shit up real good!!! Oh, and reveal The Stig (or Stigs, as the case may be).

Normal, but make the last line "We'll be back...never!" bombshell, exeunt.

I'm going to quote myself from this post I wrote lat November.

Brother Michael said:
And finally I would like to address the issue about the inevitable: the end of TopGear.(this has basically nothing to do with the rest of my post, just felt like writing some more) Should this be the final series ? Absolutely not. When should they pull the plug ? I really can?t say and I don?t think anyone can. However I do have ideas about how it should be done.
When the moment comes, I think the last series should last about 8 episodes and I think at the very latest then they should go old school, with a modern twist. I mean driving the wheels off everything they can get their hands on, review the cars THEY want, their favorites. Perhaps do a challenge like ?2000? car challenge? and they can buy whatever they please, get F1 stars as SIARPC?..just an all out TG funfest. And by modern twist I mean it should be?.well?Top Gear, and not just plain car reviews. Modern meaning shouting, arguing and the usual stuff we love so much. For the last show I would like a final roadtrip special: they all take their one favorite car and just drive through Europe, for example May taking an old Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Beautiful scenery, fantastic roads, filling the gaps with coffee table discussions about driving, cars in general, arguing what is the greatest car ever made etcetc. The trip finally ending to Stelvio Pass where they found the greatest driving road in the world. I know, the image is a bit romantic, but I would love that. That way everyone would be reminded what Top Gear and cars are all about: the sheer pleasure of driving. And most importantly leave us all wanting for more. It is always the best way to go.

They should end by blowing up the studio with a Sea Harrier. Top Gear style. Something explosive and british.

Or they should all 4 of them drive off an aircraft carrier.

it's as useful as an asshole on the elbow.

I think an asshole on the elbow would be pretty useful on motorways, either when you need a crap and don't want to stop at the services or if you want to send a small message to someone in the next lane... :D

I think an asshole on the elbow would be pretty useful on motorways, either when you need a crap and don't want to stop at the services or if you want to send a small message to someone in the next lane... :D

Well... if you put it this way, i stand corrected:

"FinalGear's userbase has more use for an asshole on the elbow than for this thread."

Edit: The Japanese have some use for it, too.

Last edited:
Well it will be sad for Hammond at least, since he is rubbish in the other shows he has presented.

May and Clarkson on the other hand are very good at what they do, and unlike Hammond they arent dependant on the other guys for doing a good job in other shows.

Last edited: