HP Notebook PC - Won't Accept Password and Start - HELP!

Heathrow

Yes, as in the airport.
Car(s)
1995 BMW 325i SE
I get this message:

"The User Profile Service service failed to logon"
" User profile cannot be loaded."

after entering the usual password after initial power-up. (So I am not even getting to the OS.)

It has accepted the same password 100's of times before.

I didn't CHANGE it before the last shutdown last night.

The last shutdown was NORMAL without errors.

I am unaware of any software updates done yesterday.

The OS is Windows Vista and the system is 1Mb and has been working fine for months.

OK?

Any ideas of a reset or circumvention or whatever?

(I am using my old steam powered HP tower LOL and boy is it effin' slooooow.)

:?

Last edited:
If the password would be the problem, you could use a password reset tool to get back into the system. But as far as I can tell, the problem does not seem to be the password, but a problem with the process of logging in.

A quick google turned up this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Thanks Doc, I will have a look into those options.

I was still in WTF? mode then just fired up the old PC and was definitely not in a rational diagnostic mindset. Have calmed down now, LOL.

I reckon the Microsoft Method 2 looks about my speed, so far.

EDIT:

I have the thing running in SAFE Mode!

It lives again.

EDIT2:

From Microsoft helps, it's looking like AVG 2014 has screwed the user file and I'll need to regedit the registry, great! Job for Monday I think.

Last edited:
If the password would be the problem, you could use a password reset tool to get back into the system. But as far as I can tell, the problem does not seem to be the password, but a problem with the process of logging in.

A quick google turned up this document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

:bow: thank you Dr. Grip :bow:( and Microsoft Support web.)

I opted for :

Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile

And ..

Microsoft Support said:
Let me fix it myself

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Article Number 322756 >> How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem yourself, follow these steps: 1.Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps: a.Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
b. Click Change settings

c.In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

d.In the User Profiles area, click Settings.
e.In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.

2.Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

4. Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

more later ..

Yeah, that's true Jack.

The system only had one which got coshed then I was up the creek without one etc.

I should add for reference, the Microsfot suggests that (a user installed) security software had caused the probelm.

In my case an update to AVG 2014 auto-installed on the 25/9 and a couple of days later I had the above problem.

I have Vista, but the problem also occurs on XP according to other Forum posts.

The fix mentioned above essentially resets you back to the day you got the PC, so all your files, favourites etc got deleted. So do BACKUPs people, fortuantely I did have some and had not had the PC very long anyway. Just had to re-customise and so first starts on IE, Wrod Excel etc, but all good, except my external Monitor refuses to work now, grrr. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's true Jack.

The system only had one which got coshed then I was up the creek without one etc.

I should add for reference, the Microsfot suggests that (a user installed) security software had caused the probelm.

In my case an update to AVG 2014 auto-installed on the 25/9 and a couple of days later I had the above problem.

I have Vista, but the problem also occurs on XP according to other Forum posts.

The fix mentioned above essentially resets you back to the day you got the PC, so all your files, favourites etc got deleted. So do BACKUPs people, fortuantely I did have some and had not had the PC very long anyway. Just had to re-customise and so first starts on IE, Wrod Excel etc, but all good, except my external Monitor refuses to work now, grrr. :rolleyes:

If you are the only one using it, you could always put the Documents folder in another partition that is not in the profile and could also copy favs into another browser as a another backup.

There also a security bug in Win7, that won't allow two different security vendors. Example: comodo firewall and mcafee av work fine in XP, but stop the PC in Win7.

... except my external Monitor refuses to work now, grrr. :rolleyes:

OFFS!

If anybody else has an HP keybord, then the Fn key is hiding next to Ctrl, bottom left on the Notebook PC keyboard.

NOT NEXT to the F1. F2s etc where it should be as it is used with them, oh no, no no.

.. and of course not present at all on the external keyboard that I actually use.

Resolution:

An External Monitor can be manually put online by hitting the Fn+F4 keys, though it should come up at startup automatically.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
"The User Profile Service service failed to logon"
" User profile cannot be loaded."

after entering the usual password after initial power-up. (So I am not even getting to the OS.)

... and after just over six months, Windows / Vista has somehow managed to corrupt the User Profile again! :rolleyes:

However, THIS time I already have an altenative Admin User setup and a Guest too, so all is well. Sort of, I am up and running straight away without too much pissing about.
(A few odd customised details are un-set and FG didn't know I had already logged in today, etc. But just nickle & dime stuff so far.)

I shall look into this more Friday, it may be a AVG update clobbering the registry again.

:smile:

EDIT: Sunday 11 May 2014

However, when you have logged in sucessfully, you find NO DATA or Favourites and some applications like WORD may be missing.

DON't PANIC!

This is what you can do:

Fix a corrupted user profile - Microsoft Help

Microsoft Help said:
If you tried to log on to Windows and received an error message telling you that your user profile might be corrupted, you can try to repair it. You will need to create a new profile, and then copy the files from the existing profile to the new one.

Before you create a new profile

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly?for example, if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on. Before you create a new user profile, try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

To create a new user profile

To create a new profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile will also be created.
Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.

Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click Create a new account.

Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

To copy files to the new user profile

After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.
Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.

Open Documents by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Documents.

Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

If you don't see the Tools menu, press ALT.

Click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
? Ntuser.dat

? Ntuser.dat.log

? Ntuser.ini

Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press ALT.

Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press ALT.

Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If you have e-mail messages in an e-mail program, such as Windows Mail, you must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile

.. and it works!

:smile:

Last edited: