HSV Clubsport now with direct inject LPG

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
This is my first taste of HSV's new LPI system. It's a clever marketing ploy to give it a name that's distinct from LPG, which still has ugly connotations of a taxi fuel. LPI also refers to liquid propane injection, indicating the new technology that injects the fuel as a liquid, rather than a gas, for better efficiency.

The story with HSV's LPI system - which is a $5990 option ($6390 on Maloo R8 ute to account for unique fitment in the ute) on all but the Tourer (where it's not available) - is one of running cost savings.

That's because you can't distinguish when the car is running on LPG gas. A neat button housed in the near the gear selector and handbrake has a fan of blue LEDs alerting as to how much gas is left in the tank, while the button allows you to disable it if you want to force the car to run only on petrol.

The new HSV LPI system can run only on petrol, but it can't rely purely on LPG. That's because the LPI engine initially starts on petrol before switching to LPG once it's warmed up.

The LPI version of the 6.2-litre V8 also reverts to petrol above 4000rpm, purely for engine durability.

The switch to LPG is imperceptible when accelerating and there's no discernible difference in the way the car performs on either fuel.

Even below 4000rpm when the GTS LPI car is running on LPG it pulls strongly and makes all the right V8 sounds.

There's still a full 325kW of power to play with and it's backed up by 550Nm of torque, or mid-range pulling power.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/first-drive-hsv-e3-20100922-15lvw.html

Euhrmm.....there are alot of LPI conversion systhems on the market (atleast over here) who work exactly the same as the one you discribe (minus the switching back to petrol above 4000rpm) I had one put in 5 years ago.

Can't tell you what brand of the top of my head but it functions flawlessley , can't feel a difference in power or smoothness in what I'm running on, feulconsumtion is at max 5% higher then on petrol, and the innitial switcover from petrol to LPG when the engine warms up is unnoticable......

The leap these systhems have taken in the last 20 years is insane.
-20? or +30? ? it doesn't care, short commutes or long motorwaydrives at 90+ mph? it doesn't care, running emty or towing 3tons? it doesn't care.

But this is different because it's offered by the company that sells you the car as an option. Just like leather or something like that. I really dig that. Good work.

But this is different because it's offered by the company that sells you the car as an option. Just like leather or something like that. I really dig that. Good work.

That's actualy been done aswell, obviously not with a V8, but you can get a Chevy (ex daewoo range over here) with an lpg conversion fitted of the dealers floor for quite some time now,
And since Holden = GM = Chevy europe I'm quessing its from the same people this is......

But offering a V8 on Lpg simply 'as an option' is indeed cool stuff, OZ beat us to it, because its something pretty much every European yankdriver is asking for since the stoneage dammit :shakefist:

But offering a V8 on Lpg simply 'as an option' is indeed cool stuff, OZ beat us to it, because its something pretty much every European yankdriver is asking for since the stoneage dammit :shakefist:

Most american cars in Europe are simply imported from the US and not models designed for our market, so not offering a LPG option is kind of logical. I rather like that this system switches to petrol above 4000 rpm as LPG burns with 200?C or so more than petrol.

Most american cars in Europe are simply imported from the US and not models designed for our market,

No shit? never noticed that.........I just bought mine at the grocerystore , isent that were you all get your astra's? :rolleyes:

Last edited: