Huge internet speed difference between laptop and desktop

Koenig

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with the wireless connection on my laptop. While I understand that generally a wireless connection will be slower than a wired connection (both connected to the same router/modem), I'm seeing ridiculously low speeds on my laptop's wireless.

According to speedtest.net, my desktop when plugged into the router is at about 50mbps, while my laptops wireless is only getting about 1mbps. This issue seems to be only with my laptop, as my other wireless devices seem to be getting good speeds (iPhone speedtest registers 15mbps and friends laptop gets about 25mbps).

I'm really stumped with this problem because it only started affecting my laptop starting about a week ago.

Was wondering if any of you out there know what the issue could be. Let me know what other info you needs please, thanks.

Have you tried running speedtest with the laptop close to the router and still get a slow connection? Can you change the channel your router is sending on?

I don't suppose the laptop is an apple? This is pretty much identical to the issue I have with mine.

Are you using 802.11 A, B, G, or N?

As always, having information about your setup is crucial to being able to diagnose it. We need:
  • type of wireless network (a/b/g/n)
  • type of encryption used (wep/wpa1/wpa2/none)
  • nodel number of router
  • laptop's OS
  • laptop's model number
  • wireless card's model number
  • whether the laptop reports faster speeds with a wired connection
  • whether the issue occurs between machines on the lan or only between wireless and the wan
  • any other details you think might be useful

Does it make any difference to plug the laptop into its power source or choose a high performance power plan? I had a problem like this and it turned out to be wi-fi power save settings :?

Plugging into LAN is also a really useful test.

Hey guys, here's the info on the laptop:

Acer Aspire 7535-5415 running Windows 7
AMD Turion x2 ZM-84
4GB RAM

Wireless is G I believe, using WPA1 encryption.

Router is an SMCD3GN modem/router combo provided by the ISP. Whenever I plug the laptop into the router, I get great speeds (50mbps+), but wireless is still shitty.

I'd try borrowing a USB or PCMCIA wifi card and try using it instead of the laptop's built-in device.
Since things are only slow on your laptop, then it could be that your laptop just has a shitty (or possibly faulty -- complain to the manufacturer) wifi device/antenna.

Last edited:
How good is the reception of the WLAN? Does the router have an adjustable antenna? WLAN-antennas radiate the signal as a big donut around it - when the antenna points straight at the laptop the reception is poor since in that direction there is not much of a signal anymore. If you have a flat which is on one floor you should put up the antenna upright to get the best reception in the whole flat.

I'd guess either antenna or wifi card issue as well. Make sure your laptop has the latest drivers, and if that doesn't help, try borrowing a different card to see if it helps.