Hypothetical Top Gear America presenters

Chairman Kaga

OK then, related to the post on an American presenter on TG, say someone gets serious about adapting TG for American TV. It's going to remain true to the format, with three presenters, high quality films, comedy, all the stuff we love about the original, but from an American perspective. We need three petrolheads to anchor the thing, and we choose...

jay leno...
dave chappelle
barney

Can you imagine Barney powersliding a viper? cause I can...

No Jay Leno, he's too celebrity-ish regardless of the fact that he owns more cars than God, the current TG presenters are great because they aren't known for anything else but Top Gear. If there was a US version of TG, it would need to be 3 unknown petrolheads

Personally, I'm still pulling for Ezra Dyer. Maybe one of the big-shot bloggers like Jonny Lieberman? And what about Jamie Kitman?

brock yates - an american automotive icon. he was a longtime executive editor of car and driver. he covered nascar in the 80's. he's worked with speed channel. yates has published several books on motorsports and cars. he invented the cannonball rally, and wrote cannonball run based on his true personal experiences in the rally. brock yates also wrote smokey and the bandit 2. yates has an incredible resume as a automotive journalist, and he has plenty of experience in television. not only would he offer informative and historical insight, but he also has a magnetic personality.

christopher titus - mostly known for being a comedian. he's a proper motorhead though. alot of his comedic material is based around cars. he owns a couple of american muscle cars and hot rods. yates has a sense of humor, but titus would add the quirkiness. he and yates would primarily be the ones to come up with crazy ideas for segments.

some handsome guy who knows something about cars - gotta have a "hammond" for the women. i just thought of someone. bring jason plato over to this side of the pond. he's a good looking guy with british accent. american women are infatuated with accents. guys would also like him, because he knows plenty about cars and driving. he could fill in as "the stig" when boris said is unavailable due to participating in some race.

"the stig" = boris said. this is undebatable.

Last edited:
do you really want to get into a "what ___ took from ___ debate"? if you do, atleast start a seperate thread. besides, you obviously don't even understand what this thread is about. hint: it isn't about putting americans on top gear.

we should choose guys from current popular auto magazines that havce the qualities needed to be a presenter

i would chose from:

alan taylor (car and driver)
arthur st.antoine (motor trend)
dick messer ?(petersen automotive museum)(hes on car and driver radio)
matt stone (motor trend)
kim reynolds??(motor trend)(not trying to be predjudice but shes a girl i believe? great writing though)

brock yates - an american automotive icon. he was a longtime executive editor of car and driver. he covered nascar in the 80's. he's worked with speed channel. yates has published several books on motorsports and cars. he invented the cannonball rally, and wrote cannonball run based on his true personal experiences in the rally. brock yates also wrote smokey and the bandit 2. yates has an incredible resume as a automotive journalist, and he has plenty of experience in television. not only would he offer informative and historical insight, but he also has a magnetic personality.

christopher titus - mostly known for being a comedian. he's a proper motorhead though. alot of his comedic material is based around cars. he owns a couple of american muscle cars and hot rods. yates has a sense of humor, but titus would add the quirkiness. he and yates would primarily be the ones to come up with crazy ideas for segments.

some handsome guy who knows something about cars - gotta have a "hammond" for the women. i just thought of someone. bring jason plato over to this side of the pond. he's a good looking guy with british accent. american women are infatuated with accents. guys would also like him, because he knows plenty about cars and driving. he could fill in as "the stig" when boris said is unavailable due to participating in some race.

"the stig" = boris said. this is undebatable.
liking those ideads a lot after i did a little research on the people

Steve Coogan, he's a car nutter, even though he's not an American.

Jay Leno, he's a car nutter.

Me. I just love cars.

Last edited:
Chairman Kaga would be pretty good I think. I read his public profile and he seems like a cool dude.

^ the japanese actor and host of iron chef???

Yea dude he's awesome. If you watch Iron Chef, you'll notice he's the only one who has subtitles when he speaks. Everyone else gets an American voice dub. Chairman Kaga doesn't let people dub his voice, because its so beautiful to hear. Which is exactly why he'd be perfect for the show.

Yea dude he's awesome. If you watch Iron Chef, you'll notice he's the only one who has subtitles when he speaks. Everyone else gets an American voice dub. Chairman Kaga doesn't let people dub his voice, because its so beautiful to hear. Which is exactly why he'd be perfect for the show.

For Top Gear America?

Travis Pastrana, he's fun, young enough, he'll beat the piss out of the vehicle and people enjoy him.

Jesse James, because he'd tell it like it is and he's more than choppers.

Some wonky nerdy guy is needed, spew the facts yet can get a quick quip in.

Remember, before they were presenters, Clarkson/Hammond/May weren't race stars or real celebrities.

The real challenge is that it doesn't become a dumbed down Bubba show or infomercial like on Spike. In general, American TV is too "Stupid" to be a succesful TG clone. Too many freaking lawyers too.

Lay Leno.

Me

Chris Jacobs (host of Overhaulin')

I like the idea of Jay Leno, I think he could be Clarkson-esque if he was allowed to...and he does have ties to Top Gear and the BBC (he occasonally writes articles for Top Gear)

I would have Jay Lamm next. He is a contributing editor for Sports Car International, and is one of the head geniuses behind "The 24 hours of LeMons" and "The Double 500 Rally". He seems like the kinda gruff-no BS kinda rouge people would enjoy watching...

Next...maybe Chris Rock. My wife read me part of an article from one of her fashion magazines yesterday about him, and part of it was about his cars...hes a serious Porsche lover.

However...I doubt it would ever happen...I still stand by my opinion that Top Gear on BBC gets away with what it does because the BBC does not accept advertising dollars, and doesn't have to answer to any one regarding content. I think American stations who would carry Top Gear America are too concerned about pizzing off advertizers to give the show free reign.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone could take the place of Clarkson, Hammond and May. The one that comes the closest that I can think of is Christopher Titus, but to me he still is more comedic then documentive.

I don't think anyone could take the place of Clarkson, Hammond and May. The one that comes the closest that I can think of is Christopher Titus, but to me he still is more comedic then documentive.

Add: Jonny Leiberman and Robert Farago. Make sure they get some acting lessons beforehand.