Hyundai Coupe fully undisguised!

It's handsome but it's got way too many fussy details: what's the point of that annoying kink in the rear window? Who thought that scallop was a good idea? Why are the lights melting, and why do the foglights look painted on? I'm having a hard time believing it's RWD, even though it is.

And does it come with a proper manual? Even the Tiburon has one, and this car is as good-looking as the Tib isn't.

granted this when they were first talking about making a RWD coupe but i remember a 6 speed being mentioned.

i can a agree with you on the scallop i don't like it it makes those 2 creases that don't merge. however i really like the kink in the window... not sure why but i just like it.

25 grand for a modern RWD coupe with 300 BHP sounds fine to me :D Lets face it, as long as it looks inoffensive, it will sell.

With one big exception - I like it. I mean I don't go WOW or anything, but it's quite nice, and you can't argue with a cheap, rwd two door (provided the chassis sorted)

That exception I mentioned? The rear window line - what the hell were they thinking? Who stood back from that and said "Yeah, that's a winner!"?

That exception I mentioned? The rear window line - what the hell were they thinking? Who stood back from that and said "Yeah, that's a winner!"?

I think the designer who was sketching it, slipped with his hand a bit, then it was just too damn hard to get the liquid paper out.

I can't tell about the front but I think it looks great from the doors back, like a Jaguar XF. I don't mind the window shape either, the shape of the whole group of glass on that side looks very fluid and flowing because of it. As long as they don't mess up the front.

Wow!

I find it quite funny that most of the flak this new Hyundai is copping is coming from the Japanese car community......hrm ;)

But that is stunning from side profile......I need a pair of 3 quarter shots to make up my mind totally but it looks good so far!

kudos to Hyundai!

Looks decent, I suppose. My reaction to this car is fairly luke warm, it will be interesting to see how well it does, but then again I don't care too much. That "cab-forward" or whatever design looks like it will make engine work a pain too (reminds me of the 4th gen F-Body, yikes!)

With one big exception - I like it. I mean I don't go WOW or anything, but it's quite nice, and you can't argue with a cheap, rwd two door (provided the chassis sorted)

I believe most Asian will.................

afterall it's not something other cars have..... which shows improvement :mrgreen:

I dunno, it is within spitting image of a G6 coupe from that angle. And how heavy is it going to be? Considering it's sedan-based like the 350Z, prepare for some hefty handling.

1st it looks very Nissanish and
2nd the styling is very contemporary but for how long, it may be outdated in a few years time and it won't turn heads anymore. That is the problem with almost all southeast asin manufacturers. The cars look good when new but a year laterb they are just bland and utterly boring.
Even noticed that on the new Civic, I really thought it was quite cool, but after seeing a few on the road now it looks grey and outdated (and it has not been around for a while). And having said that the new Hyandai posted above doesn't really look that good...I wouldn't think of anyone "Hell yeah....Nissans look cool, I want a copy of that" ;)

It's handsome but it's got way too many fussy details: what's the point of that annoying kink in the rear window? Who thought that scallop was a good idea? Why are the lights melting, and why do the foglights look painted on? I'm having a hard time believing it's RWD, even though it is.

And does it come with a proper manual? Even the Tiburon has one, and this car is as good-looking as the Tib isn't.

For a first time attempt at a rwd coupe, I think it looks pretty good. I agree that it's not an instant classic, but it's not a bad place to start.

It looks...Korean. The first thought that passed through my head was A Dodge Avenger and the new Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Hyundai steps up to the plate,

http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/4369/hyundaigenesiscoupe6869pa1.jpg

First pitch, swing and...

215hp Turbo 4 for $20k

it's a hit!

It's going...

Looks fantastic! A step in the right direction for Hyundai.

going, it could go ALL THE WAY!...

300hp and RWD will make up for alot of things :p

Gone! Home run Hyudai FTMFW!

Go Hyundai, combine all that with their 100k mile warranty, this car could come with an interior that is rivaled only by a bin liner and it should do damn well.

Last edited:
I dunno, it is within spitting image of a G6 coupe from that angle. And how heavy is it going to be? Considering it's sedan-based like the 350Z, prepare for some hefty handling.

ugh, dont you dare even compare this design to the G6 coupe. I think this new hyundai coupe has a certain feel making it seem like a poor mans italian GT car(Maserati GT comes to mind), much like the prev Hyundai coupe ripped off elements off a Ferrari 456

It looks OK, except for the front, which looks a bit unfortunate (actually reminds me of recent American GM cars, dunno which or why).

If they sort the chassis out and have a nice interior, it should be a good little seller, which I'd like to see here.

It looks OK, except for the front, which looks a bit unfortunate (actually reminds me of recent American GM cars, dunno which or why).

If they sort the chassis out and have a nice interior, it should be a good little seller, which I'd like to see here.

Buicks. Screams Buick, which has elements of the Maserati's recently put out on the market.

If that has good handling in the mix, it will be a sure winner.

Even if it's shit from the factory, all Hyundai needs to do is hand the car to a few tuner companies, push a few at sema, take 'em drag racing etc... basically push for an aftermarket, even if the car is crap to drive from the get go, anyone into modding cars *cough* drivers/racers *cough* will be all over this thing.

Last edited: