Autoblog: Hyundai Genesis sedan and Mercedes-Benz E-Class named IIHS Top Safety Picks

Kowalski

Kudos to Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai.

It's no secret that earning a Top Safety Pick award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety will boost a car's street cred, and now the engineers at Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz can stand tall knowing that the Genesis and E-Class sedans have just received this prestigious honor.

Hyundai launched its flagship Genesis in 2009, but the automaker made slight changes to the roof structure for the 2010 model year, which has (obviously) greatly improved the crash ratings. Thus, the Top Safety Pick award only applies to Genesis models built after January 2010. The Benz, on the other hand, has been on sale for decades, but this is the first time that the E-Class has garnered IIHS's top rating.

Source: Hyundai Genesis sedan and Mercedes-Benz E-Class named IIHS Top Safety Picks — Autoblog

Hyundai Genesis

ces100502.jpg

ces100504.jpg

ces100514.jpg

ces100517.jpg

ces100521.jpg

Mercedes-Benz E Class

ces100202.jpg

ces100204.jpg

ces100214.jpg

ces100217.jpg

ces100221.jpg

Mercedes better be damned worried about Hyundai engineering.

I actually would rather have a Genesis than an E-Class.

Hyundai will never have the prestige as Mercedes. I mean look at what else they build. Mercedes would never --

2003-2004_Mercedes-Benz_A160_%28W168%29_Classic_hatchback_01.jpg

Oh wait.

Hyundai will never have the prestige as Mercedes. I mean look at what else they build. Mercedes would never --

2003-2004_Mercedes-Benz_A160_%28W168%29_Classic_hatchback_01.jpg

Oh wait.

I like the A-Class! I know, it was a tippy, poorly assembled mess, but it looks unique.

I'm a weirdo who loves the odd stuff, so that's just me! :p

They should have sold it as a SMART then. The A-Class doesn't really jive with their current marketing campaign: "You asked for a Mercedes" and got this instead.

And in 10-15 years We'll be seeing Geely or Great Wall on the top of this list.

20. The Chinese aren't even at the level of '80s Hyundai yet, though they're getting there slowly.

Hence the purchase of Western brands and faculty. Volvo and MG will/is helping them greatly.

I don't get the outrage over the A class. If you live in central Paris, you're fairly well off and want a car with plenty of gadgets and at the same time you need to park it on the street, the A class makes quite a lot of sense. Yes the Mercedes brand isn't what it used to be but that's mostly due to quality problems across the model range, not just the A class. I'm sure some people were really outraged back in 1968 when they introduced the tiny new model now known as the E-class, because real mercs are only the S and SL.

And to think just two or three years ago I was laughing at Hyundai and their cheap and awful crapboxes. They've come a very long way in a very short time. Heck, they were able to grab top safety honors after just one year of production. It took Mercedes decades to accomplish that.

They should have sold it as a SMART then. The A-Class doesn't really jive with their current marketing campaign: "You asked for a Mercedes" and got this instead.

That reminds me of the time I explained the A-Class to a friend here who had never seen one before. "It's not a Mercedes, it's a car for people who want to say they have a Mercedes."

That reminds me of the time I explained the A-Class to a friend here who had never seen one before. "It's not a Mercedes, it's a car for people who want to say they have a Mercedes."

Ever seen a smart with a Merc badge on it? Now that's pretentious!

So what you really mean is at least 30, since the 80s started 30 years ago. ;)

Nah, they're moving slightly faster than Korea, and I was thinking mid-80s

The Koreans started from scratch, the Chinese are not. Volvo dealers could start selling Chinese cars.

The Koreans started from scratch, the Chinese are not. Volvo dealers could start selling Chinese cars.

Around here, that's a scary concept. Volvos here are piloted by inept soccer moms that forget all their driving experience the moment it first snows or rains, and the idea of them in Chinese cars would be enough to make me take the bus.