Hyundai S-Cla...LS.....Genesis.

Sounds like a cheap alternative to a safe-bet Lexus sedan like the LS then.

Except you guys would all criticize the Lexus for being a boring drive. You say the Genesis had good passing power, sure, but was it a boring and dull drive?

The test drive wasn't that long, but my friend claimed that the steering felt like the Lexus he used to own (I forget which model). I thought the steering was more communicative and responsive than most luxury cars I have driven and it had a pleasant weight to it. Make no mistake, it is a large luxury car, not a sports car; that being said it is certainly more of a "driver's car" than any Hyundai I've ever driven and I prefer it to my mom's S80.

Honestly, I would buy this car today if I had the money and this is from a man who hated Hyundai this morning.

I'll wait for the coupe.

Nice review, although you left a bit out. I heard a while back that it's awful through the corners, a lot of roll and understeer. Also I'd like to know what the manual gearbox feels like. Think you're up for another test drive? ;)

The KDM badges make it look even nicer (front and rear emblems, center caps, steering wheel).

whoa. A Hyundai I actually like. And it's not ugly either.

That price tag does a LOT... Looking at the insides I don't see the difference between this and the German rivals, yet this costs HALF? Impressive stuff

Nice review, although you left a bit out. I heard a while back that it's awful through the corners, a lot of roll and understeer. Also I'd like to know what the manual gearbox feels like. Think you're up for another test drive? ;)

How's he supposed to know that? Where's he gonna find a corner in the USA?

Anyways, looking at this pic I just found on wiki, I think disregarding the nose, it looks a lot like a 5 series, which, depending on what you think of bangle is quite a good thing.

Anyways, nice to see some competition for the Germans other than honda/lexus.

EDIT: how's the space in the back? 3-series, 5-series, or 7-series?

Last edited:
I prefer that black one's grille. If I got it, I'd have the dealer import the grille just for it. Makes a huge difference.

I didn't notice the body roll through the corners, but we weren't really giving it the berries since it was wet out. Actually, the car felt very planted and flat with what we did manage.

There is copious space in the back. Even with the front seats back to a comfortable driving position for my 6"0' friend I had plenty of leg room. It could have used a bit more head room for me, but then again, how many times are you going to have Sasquatch in the back of your Genesis? The headroom wasn't bad, it just could have used another inch so I could really sit up straight. For most people it wouldn't be a problem because they sit lower in the seat - I can't do that because of my back.

Blind_Io: nice review, i too took a test drive but the top of the line V8 with the full options package. Very nice car, i'll also add, the rear seat has a staggering amt of legroom, despite being the size of a 5 series, the interior space is designed way better and theres more knee room. I'm almost 6', put the drivers seat in my comfy position, sat in the back behind the drivers seat and had a hard time getting my knees to touch the back of the front seat.

Turning circle and handling is pretty tight for this class of car, suspension firm in a BMW kind of way, good, smooth power delivery for solid accel but not urgent, much like how James May was describing the power delivery of a RR (i'm not saying the Genesis is a RR, but thats the feeling it gives off). Luxury cars shouldnt have peaky, lumpy power delivery.

Last edited:
Is the full spec interior still plagued with the cheap-ish looking silver plastic?

There was some silver on the low-end I was in, but it certainly didn't feel cheap. If it was plastic then it was probably a good layer of formed metal with plastic backing for strength. That was the first thing I touched because I hate the stuff. It feels like brushed stainless or aluminum to me.

What little there was existed only as a tasteful accent, not a building material.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/17/2009HyundaiGenesisDash400.jpg

This is pretty much what the one I was in looked like. On the higher end models the wood (which is fake, but looks pretty damn good) is replaced with beautiful leather. The only places there are wood on the high-end trim is around the plate for the shifter and around the CD load panel in front of the shifter.

Last edited:
The test drive wasn't that long, but my friend claimed that the steering felt like the Lexus he used to own (I forget which model). I thought the steering was more communicative and responsive than most luxury cars I have driven and it had a pleasant weight to it. Make no mistake, it is a large luxury car, not a sports car; that being said it is certainly more of a "driver's car" than any Hyundai I've ever driven and I prefer it to my mom's S80.

Honestly, I would buy this car today if I had the money and this is from a man who hated Hyundai this morning.
In terms of driving response, Hyundai's larger cars are actually better. I prefer the Sonata over the Elantra and Accent for steering feel. I'm still amazed that the 2009 Sonata face-lift was a total transformation of a bland mediocre car into a good balanced car.

I'm almost always pro Toyota but as of right now...I think Hyundai is making better cars than Toyota. I'd prefer a 4-cylinder 2009 Sonata over any car under Toyota(not Lexus).

This is terrible, I'm starting to want to test drive a Hyundai. You've ruined my life, Blind.

That price tag does a LOT... Looking at the insides I don't see the difference between this and the German rivals, yet this costs HALF? Impressive stuff

I don't like it much. It's missing something, and it ain't the badge cause big VWs have the same "x-factor" for me as a Bimmer.

Yes it's great value for money but I wouldn't be able to buy one and be happy with it for some reason.

I'd rather have the "wood" interior accent to the leather. The way it's sewn, it'll just because a catch-all trough for dust, crumbs, hair, lint, etc. It's not french-stittched, so it's more like the seam on a pair of jeans, with the edge facing up. Annoys the hell out of me for some reason...but I rubbed me the wrong way like most Ikea "leather" furniture.

Not the biggest fan of the coupe look but at the same time it would be very difficult to find another car in the price range with the performance. Especially if you pick up the turbo you should be able to tune it pretty easily :twisted:

As far as the sedan goes you could go for one over any of the Germans and get a nice project car with the money you save :)

I would have rather have seen a straight windowline (without the dip towards the end), but you can't win it all. It's going to be fan bleeding tastic

Wow. That looks pretty good. Looks like Hyundai will be a force to reckon with for the more "luxurious" brands.
1234711231_