Autoblog: Hyundai says "Hey 2billion, you should buy a car from us next time" with Veloster.

2Billion

Car(s)
'10 Toyota Matrix XR
Hyundai says "Hey 2billion, you should buy a car from us next time" with Veloster.

02-2012-hyundai-veloster630-2.jpg

04-2012-hyundai-veloster.jpg

I like small hatchbacks for daily drivers. The Veloster is a bit overstyled, but the numbers look sexy. It has only 138 hp, sure, but it's also only 2,568 lbs. It's got a six speeds no matter what gearbox you take, and it supposedly gets 40mpg. Also, they claim starting prices at below $20k.

If all the claims are true and it drives like it should, it might be the next car in my driveway, no lie.

Source

138bhp from a 1.6 is impressive, if we're talking N/A.
And then cars looks good! I like it!

Totally with you. Bet it will look bitchin' in white.

Honda, take note, this is what the CRZ should have looked like, and with a proper engine in it too!

Last edited:
Got to agree, it looks good, mostly. They should get on with building them anyway, look at all the spare wheels they have. :roll:

Got to agree, it looks good, mostly. They should get on with building them anyway, look at all the spare wheels they have. :roll:

:idiot: Didn't you recognise the garage? Those aren't for the Hyundai, they're for Jezza's SLS next time he comes to town.

;)

Totally with you. Bet it will look bitchin' in white.

Honda, take note, this is what the CRZ should have looked like, and with a proper engine in it too!

I like the CR-Z as it is, especially the interior. Looks killer in white or black. Do agree on the engine though, it sounds a bit limp. However I have heard from people who've driven it that its not as "wet-lettuce" low down as you might expect, theres a nice exhaust note when your pressing on, a great 6 speeder and a car that handles rather well thanks to not having a hilariously heavy engine at the front.

This looks like at least 3 separate people styled the front, got some Citroen DS3 going on with those gill like things at either end of the front bumper. But it gets better as you go backwards. Glass house has a nice shape. 138 bhp from a 1.6, if NA is pretty nice but if they do it anything like way honda get high HP from their NA engines it might be a bit peaky. Great for country road blasting, not so much fun when pottering in the wrong gear. if its got a turbo, then 138 is pretty modest, but it should have a nice wedge of torque available.

Seriously doubt it'll be RWD. At best it'll have an AWD option.

I like it too, looks pretty fun.

13-hyundai-veloster-live.jpg

Looks like this inside. And yeah, FWD, no surprise there.

Looks a bit like the 2006 Honda REMIX concept - especially from the back.

Not that that's a bad thing - I liked the REMIX, and wished that Honda had put it into production.

Even though it looks impractical as hell with a rear cargo hatch that you need to climb to the top of a skyscraper to get up into, I want one badly!

Wait...did I just say that about a cheap Hyundai? :blink:

The back end is pretty neat looking, reminds me of a Volvo C30, but the front...good golly! I think Hyundai has jumped there own shark on over styling cars. Funny enough, there success was not in styling but making appliances that held up well, are cheap to maintain and cheaply priced to begin with.

This is beyond over styled. This is designed via tweaking on meth. Personally, I believe Hyundai has hit a zenith, and any car after 2010 is never going to top what they have now. But what the hey, prove me wrong.

Last edited: