Autoblog: Hyundai says "Hey 2billion, you should buy a car from us next time" with Veloster.

The back end is pretty neat looking, reminds me of a Volvo C30, but the front...good golly! I think Hyundai has jumped there own shark on over styling cars. Funny enough, there success was not in styling but making appliances that held up well, are cheap to maintain and cheaply priced to begin with.

This is beyond over styled. This is designed via tweaking on meth. Personally, I believe Hyundai has hit a zenith, and any car after 2010 is never going to top what they have now. But what the hey, prove me wrong.

Oh you think THAT is over styled? I see you have not been told of the Curb then.

The Curb is just a drawing, basically. And still I think it looks quite subtle, compared to the Veloster.

13-hyundai-veloster-live.jpg

Looks like this inside. And yeah, FWD, no surprise there.

Oh... nevermind then.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254712/

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/veloster/2012/2012-hyundai-veloster-2011-detroit-auto-show.html

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/01/2011-detroit-auto-show-turbo-hyundai-veloster-confirmed.html

FWD only. Will only have 138hp when introduced. May end up getting the turbo 2.0 274hp 87octane direct-injection engine. Will likely have a 175hp turbo version of the 1.6 liter direct-injection engine.

The Curb concept likely has the turbo evolution of the Veloster's engine, which will be available in the Veloster later this year.

02-2012-hyundai-veloster630-2.jpg

04-2012-hyundai-veloster.jpg

I like small hatchbacks for daily drivers. The Veloster is a bit overstyled, but the numbers look sexy. It has only 138 hp, sure, but it's also only 2,568 lbs. It's got a six speeds no matter what gearbox you take, and it supposedly gets 40mpg. Also, they claim starting prices at below $20k.

If all the claims are true and it drives like it should, it might be the next car in my driveway, no lie.

Source

The sides are okay, everything else is just overstyled, especially the fenders near the lights in the front AND in the rear. Also, why not a fourth door on the driver's side? The one on the passenger's side is cleverly disguised and doesn't look like there's a door there at all, why not doing the same on the other side?

The sides are okay, everything else is just overstyled, especially the fenders near the lights in the front AND in the rear. Also, why not a fourth door on the driver's side? The one on the passenger's side is cleverly disguised and doesn't look like there's a door there at all, why not doing the same on the other side?

They are going to spend the money for the tooling to make the door on either side, but only offer it on the passenger side in its respective markets. LHD cars will have a door on the right side, RHD will have a door on the left. That way there will be less opportunity to open the door into traffic.

They are going to spend the money for the tooling to make the door on either side, but only offer it on the passenger side in its respective markets. LHD cars will have a door on the right side, RHD will have a door on the left. That way there will be less opportunity to open the door into traffic.

So, why not putting doors on both sides, if they've got to make it anyway?

On the driver side, the door will be longer. I think it's a styling thing mixed with a desire to make the rear seat safer for child occupants who could fling the door open into traffic.

This is what the CR-Z should've been. At least Honda should've offered an K20 option for it.

The styling is a little... loud...

But I'd take the turbo model over a Kia Forte Koup or Scion Tc. I can't imagine what else it is supposed to compete with.

It looks brilliant, but I got the opportunity to attend the Detroit Auto Show Press Preview today and sit in it, and the rear felt very cramped in terms of headroom, even though I'm about average height (Around 5'9"). In fact, anyone taller would almost certainly hit the ceiling when sitting up straight.

I like small hatchbacks for daily drivers. The Veloster is a bit overstyled, but the numbers look sexy. It has only 138 hp, sure, but it's also only 2,568 lbs. It's got a six speeds no matter what gearbox you take, and it supposedly gets 40mpg. Also, they claim starting prices at below $20k.

If all the claims are true and it drives like it should, it might be the next car in my driveway, no lie.

Source

Hey my car has 138hp and weighs 2500lbs! Mine does it from a 1.3 though...:p

For the record, this is a pretty fun power/weight ratio (ok ok mine has a bit more than that now, but still)

Anyone else think Hyundai is becoming the new Citroen?

Last edited:
It's like a 370Z rear-ended the new Citroen DS at really high speed and yet the end result ended up looking really cool.

I would buy one of these. I just hope they actually bring it here this time unlike the Genesis Coupe.

Could someone with better photoshop skills than me photoshop the painted area inside the rounded trapezoid to be black instead of body-color? I think painting that one piece black might fix the entire front end, kind of like how painting the Acura TL's beak body-color transforms the entire car into a modern, attractive sedan.

Aside from the fugly face, I actually really like the aesthetic design, particularly the rear 3/4. And I actually really like the three-door idea. And mechanically it sounds like a real gem--six-speed manual, modest power, very light weight. If they tune the suspension right and have good steering and good shifter feel, this could be a massive hit with 16-30-year-old driving enthusiasts on a budget.