Autoblog: Hyundai says "Hey 2billion, you should buy a car from us next time" with Veloster.

On the driver side, the door will be longer. I think it's a styling thing mixed with a desire to make the rear seat safer for child occupants who could fling the door open into traffic.

A child lock on the door accomplishes the safety part, so I think it's just styling, combined with the fact that some drivers like one long door instead of two short doors (you can toss a briefcase on the back seat and then sit down without opening and closing two separate doors).

The back end is pretty neat looking, reminds me of a Volvo C30, but the front...good golly! I think Hyundai has jumped there own shark on over styling cars. Funny enough, there success was not in styling but making appliances that held up well, are cheap to maintain and cheaply priced to begin with.
Seriously. I was beginning to think I was the only one who hated Hyundai's "throw swoopy lines EVERYWHERE" styling direction. It's hideous. It's as bad looking as Toyota's current "inspired by the lumpy bowel movements of cows" look, IMHO.

I love the concept of this thing, though. Light. Small. Inexpensive. Comes with a manual. Nice power-to-weight ratio (which will be epically nice if that 175hp motor comes to pass). Sounds like fun.

There are plenty of fans of Hyundai's design (read: not me...or Jayhawk, apparently) that will love this to bits and pieces. Eh, that's why they make a zillion different cars to pick from. Other manufacturers, please: take note. This idea (cheap, light fun) + a prettier exterior + maybe a less-visibility-nightmarish hatch = epic win.

Last edited:
The back end is pretty neat looking, reminds me of a Volvo C30, but the front...good golly! I think Hyundai has jumped there own shark on over styling cars. Funny enough, there success was not in styling but making appliances that held up well, are cheap to maintain and cheaply priced to begin with.

This is beyond over styled. This is designed via tweaking on meth. Personally, I believe Hyundai has hit a zenith, and any car after 2010 is never going to top what they have now. But what the hey, prove me wrong.

I'm gonna have to agree with Jay on this one. I do like Hyundai in general but this is just a mess.

Should have four doors. It's pretty nice (if flamboyant) but I have the feeling it'll look dated snaps fingers this fast. In essence, a repeat of the Tiburon. Also, it's flamboyant and that's likely to scare some customers. I don't want Hyundai to make a VW Jetta but this is a bit too exciting. The Jetta is too dull. Make something in the middle.

Last edited:
Should have four doors. It's pretty nice (if flamboyant) but I have the feeling it'll look dated snaps fingers this fast. In essence, a repeat of the Tiburon. Also, it's flamboyant and that's likely to scare some customers. I don't want Hyundai to make a VW Jetta but this is a bit too exciting. The Jetta is too dull. Make something in the middle.
They will, it'll be called the Elantra Touring most likely. Or they'll have an Accent 5-door. They'll have models for people put off by the awesome nuttiness of this.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Seal, Hyundai probably thinks they're never gonna surviiiiiiiiive unless they get a little crazy.

They've already said the Accent will be in the US as a 5-door, and that there won't be an estate version of the Elantra but rather a hatch.

Could someone with better photoshop skills than me photoshop the painted area inside the rounded trapezoid to be black instead of body-color? I think painting that one piece black might fix the entire front end, kind of like how painting the Acura TL's beak body-color transforms the entire car into a modern, attractive sedan.

2d18mcx.jpg

Sort_of_want.jpg

Looks tasty from the side. The back looks pretty sweet if a little fussy. The front has just way too much happening. Other than that, if it drives anything like a 1st Gen CR-X (which is the first thing I thought of when I saw it), and is reasonably priced, then Hyundai could have a winner on their hands.

Either way, I've been (generally) liking the cut of Hyundai's jib since the Genesis.

I don't mind it. Hyundai are definitely improving their cars in leaps and bounds... but it's going to take YEARS for them to turn their badge credibility around. I still get that terrible feeling whenever I see any car with the dreaded slanty "H" logo on it. They should have re-branded themselves somewhere along the line to distance themselves from some of their crappy mid 90's offerings.

I don't mind it. Hyundai are definitely improving their cars in leaps and bounds... but it's going to take YEARS for them to turn their badge credibility around. I still get that terrible feeling whenever I see any car with the dreaded slanty "H" logo on it. They should have re-branded themselves somewhere along the line to distance themselves from some of their crappy mid 90's offerings.

Took them less than ten years to fix it in the US. And man, were some of their early cars terrible.