Hyundai UK "suicide" commercial. Oh dear...

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
The ad has, rather unsurprisingly, been pulled. And Hyundai is apparently denying its involvement in its creation or approval.

Source: Car and Driver
Car and Driver said:
Last week, this British Hyundai commercial about a man who attempts suicide in his hydrogen-powered ix35 was published to YouTube and subsequently went viral. Technically, it?s very well done. The casting, art direction, camerawork, and music track are skillfully executed, and it follows a clear strategy: The man doesn?t die because the exhaust pipe emits only water vapor. Yet ?Pipe Job? is easily the worst commercial of the year?or perhaps any year.

The words ?disturbing? and ?insensitive? barely begin to describe the spot, which establishes a new low point for responsible advertising. Not surprisingly, it was widely condemned?particularly by those who have been impacted by the suicide of a loved one?and was taken down after just one day by the ad agency that created and posted it. (We?ve embedded a copy from another YouTube account; if that version disappears, simply search for ?Pipe Job? and ?Hyundai? on YouTube or Google.)

Immediately, all concerned started pointing fingers. The British newspaper The Telegraph quoted a Hyundai spokesperson as saying, ?Hyundai Motor U.K. had no involvement with this film and Hyundai Motor Company did not request the film to be made, nor was it asked to approve it.? In other words, blame the agency. For its part, according to the same Telegraph article, the European arm of ad agency Innocean Worldwide?a subsidiary of the global Hyundai conglomerate?claimed it was simply research, explaining that it posted the video ?for one day . . . to get consumers? feedback on [a] creative idea employing hyperbole to dramatize a product advantage without any other commercial purpose.? It certainly get feedback (along with huge out-of-pocket expenses for the commercial that Hyundai says it didn?t authorize), but I have a much bigger question: How could a commercial like this even get made?

In part, I blame the system itself: In a quest to be ?different? and ?get noticed,? clients put agencies under enormous pressure to break the mold. This is particularly true with viral video campaigns, which depend heavily on word of mouth (which these days means forwarded and shared links). This in turn requires being provocative, a challenge that?s increasingly difficult given today?s real life events and shocking headlines. But the bulk of the blame lies with Innocean: In their pursuit of visibility, the ad?s creators chucked clear thinking out the window.

On its website, the agency?s vision statement explicitly boasts of a commitment to ?Discover Beyond,? which includes ?going beyond the stereotype, the common sense, and the narrow-mindedness . . . beyond the conventional thinking and the limitations.? Limitations of what? Good taste and compassion? Innocean might need to rethink its vision statement?but it definitely needs to rethink its vision.

It's too bad Clarkson's Scirroco commercial wasn't real, then this wouldn't make as much of a dent in the news.

Car and Driver said:
Yet ?Pipe Job? is easily the worst commercial of the year?or perhaps any year. [...] establishes a new low point for responsible advertising.

I agree that the ad is in poor taste, but how about a little less hyperbole and a little more research for your articles? This isn't the first "our car's exhaust is so clean you can't kill yourself with it" commercial:

[video=youtube;qlVoX-04SLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlVoX-04SLQ[/video]

In the same sense that it wasn't an authorized Hyundai commercial, either, or that it was a parody of some sort? :think:

As per the quoted article, the hydrogen-ad company is somehow affiliated with Hyundai, exploring reactions to the ad for Hyundai possibly. As far as I can remember the Audi ad was just a random film maker showing off his "talent", with no ties to Audi.

I somehow think associating your product with suicide is a bad marketing move.

"My Hyundai is so terrible, I want to kill myself!" isn't exactly the best testimonial. What a stupid idea.

"My Hyundai is so bad at everything...it can't even kill me correctly."

Oh come ON. Why is everyone so touchy? I think it's an excellent ad. No gore, nothing disturbing, he just sits there with that pipe. And then goes "fuck this shit guys, imma go to bed". Much better then most PR rubbish car companys churn out.

I think this "ad" is appalling.

It will mean more suicidal people will be throwing themselves under trains and off motorway bridges causing untold misery for thousands of commuters.

:hellbus:

he was just moisturising his skin! :p :D
that was the first thing that came into my mind, waiting for the punchline.
I've got poor skin in dry/cold weather and air moisturiser helps a bit.

Last edited: