Ownership Verified: I bought two more wheels (Kawasaki ER-5)

What do the sideplates on that chain say? Different chain manufacturers use different O-ring materials and have different instructions for cleaning and lubing their chains.

Now gimme my proof check mark!

What do the sideplates on that chain say? Different chain manufacturers use different O-ring materials and have different instructions for cleaning and lubing their chains.

Forgot to look at it again when I was at the garage. But it doesn't really matter at the moment, I fairly sure I'll want to change the chain for the next season, since a couple of links are noticeably stiff, and it was already recommended at the last service. So just generic wash and lube this time round.

Before I've ever ridden the bike, I'm starting to take it apart :lol:

Noticed this issue:

This is when I learned that the sprocket is not actually fixed to the rear wheel, but is connected via a cushion drive instead. And mine seems to be worn.
The rubber cushions themselves didn't look bad, just obviously compressed, because the sprocket carrier had a lot of slack. But there were also some small rubber pieces inside the hub:

The new rubber cushions are 92 eur, which seemed too much to me. Especially right now, as I've had to dig deep into my vacation fund to get the bike and gear. But luckily, I found this excellent guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNTtmp-N1-E

So 4eur worth of bicycle inner tube later, cut to small pieces and used as shims to reduce the slack:

First fix! :D

Last edited:
Congrats, I rode an ER5 for a couple of years and always liked the direct and responsive handling of it altough I was a bit too tall for that bike.

Thanks. The previous owner was also a bit taller, and had a custom seat made for himself. I got both with the bike, so I'll see which one is preferable.

Aaaand now I can legally ride it :D

EDIT:

"I don't need this any more"

Yes, that's DaBoom's Nelli, and not the ER5. Kawasaki is too small (<600cc) for the full A-license test.

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

Awesome!

Now you can try my bike out :D

Gratz Man!

Actually, there is no better way to learn driving it, that's how i did it.
A month after i bought it, DaHitch and i went on vacation to Sweden with the bikes.

Thanks all around!

I'd like to do some roadtrip with a bike, for sure. Not this year yet.
I am considering on doing the "saariston rengastie" in the summer possible with Anesthesia, you can join us

So where is the planning trip for this trip? Might be interested as well, depending on date etc stuffs. But it's a one day trip anyway?

So where is the planning trip for this trip? Might be interested as well, depending on date etc stuffs. But it's a one day trip anyway?
There is no planning, I'll make a post to fimeet-thread and let's start from there.

800km after adjusting the chain, it seemed VERY loose again. So loose it was rattling against the folded centre-stand. So I re-adjusted it. It was quiet for about 10km, then it started making a whoosh-whoosh sound when driving. It seems a couple of links on the chain got really stiff, almost seized.

The exhaust is not actually bubbling btw, it's the Nexus 5 sound recording quality.
About 40km later:

Yeah, it's getting replaced. Bought new chain and both sprockets. Although, upon comparison with a new part, the rear sprocket looks perfect imo. If anything, the new one has even thinner teeth.

The front one is slightly worn, at least the teeth seem to be leaning to one side. Annoyingly, the original part seems to be of much higher quality. Has some kind of plastic guides on both sides, and seems to be actually machined, not cast.

But since I got all new parts, I'll replace everything. Annoyingly, the new chain is not "endless", but has a riveting link. I don't need that, because I took the swingarm out anyway, but that's the only chain that was available. So I'll see if I can find someone to rivet it for me, not very keen on spending another 50? for a tool.

EDIT: Oh, did I mention how I love working on this bike? It's such a toy, everything comes apart in minutes, no need to jack anything up or spend hours on your back on the floor :lol:

Last edited: