Ownership Verified: I bought two more wheels (Kawasaki ER-5)

MXM

I paid for this title
...this brings my average down to approximately 3.333 wheels/vehicle.

Yes, this is my first ever bike :D It's a 500cc, 50hp, carbed parallel twin. It's completely stock, has done 35k (since 1999!) and generally looks like a clean and simple learner's bike.

There was a small matter of not having a bike license, so mikas generously agreed to move it home for me ;)

It's parked next to my other toy right now, waiting for a warmer weather.

(damn, I need to wipe that rollbar)

I'm really excited to learn a new skill, and can't wait to start practicing! The power/weight ratio is slightly worse than the 7, on paper, but I'm sure it's gonna be plenty enough for a year or two.

Last edited:
paralel twin bro o/

Parallel twin, 50bhp is a good amount of power for a learner.
Congrats!

Yeah, much smarter, compared to what he'll have to do his riding test with.. :p

:thumbup:
mopo.gif

Thanks, guys.

This bike has done very few kms in the last couple of years, so I asked a garage to estimate the cost of a big 36k service, and was quoted 600?! It was also suggested to swap the chain and sprockets (200?), and a throttle cable (100?). Needless to say, I've been reading the service manuals lately :p I'm fairly confident I can tackle most of the tasks myself, and the parts seem to be very reasonably priced too. I haven't decided when to do it, though. Perhaps I'll just do oil and inspection right now, so I can ride it ASAP, and handle the big things in the autumn.

Excellent find! I learned riding on an ER-5 as well. :thumbup: I'm glad you got mikas to help with the move.

The chain and sprocket swap is a relatively easy job to do as long as you have the right riveting tool for the new chains. Don't save money on some cheap all rounder tool, you'll quickly notice why a good one is worth the extra money. That's one expensive throttle cable :blink: Or is that price for the whole job? Can the old one's life be extended by removing, cleaning and greasing?

That's one expensive throttle cable :blink: Or is that price for the whole job? Can the old one's life be extended by removing, cleaning and greasing?

All the numbers I mentioned include the work, yeah. The throttle cable was stiff last time it was serviced, they just oiled it back then afaik. And since the part is 30e, it's probably worth replacing if I go through the trouble of removing the old one.

EDIT: Just realized that there are 2 throttle cables :lol: 30e each then...

Last edited:
For some reason decided to go to the garage after work today :p

I wanted to check the sprockets and the chain. The sprockets look ok to me. The chain appeared very loose at first, but I measured it incorrectly, with the wheel up in the air, so I'll need to repeat that.

The chain is soooo dirty though. This is the first point of action, cleaning it (what should I use, diesel?) and lubricating. I still have a few week's time before I can start practicing and learning to ride, plenty enough time to disassemble the whole bike to pieces :mrgreen:

I'm fairly confident I can tackle most of the tasks myself, and the parts seem to be very reasonably priced too. I haven't decided when to do it, though. Perhaps I'll just do oil and inspection right now, so I can ride it ASAP, and handle the big things in the autumn.

And this comes from friend who I helped carrying Caterham's engine block to kitchen :rolleyes: :lol:
About the Cafe I will send you some pics, cos I too thought that ER-5 and cafe racer isn't an combination that can be done, I was wrong.

See if you can scrounge these up, I've used them for years.

Probably not available here. But it's fine, I just got some Castrol chain oil instead. The chain has 2 links that are very stiff. Not completely seized, but much much harder to move than the rest. So if I end up keeping this bike for longer, I'll want the chain replaced for the next season.

And this comes from friend who I helped carrying Caterham's engine block to kitchen :rolleyes: :lol:

Hm, I wonder if I can get the whole bike through the door :p

About the Cafe I will send you some pics, cos I too thought that ER-5 and cafe racer isn't an combination that can be done, I was wrong.

Oh sure, it can be done. My priorities have shifted a bit, though. Cafe racers is what got me interested again in bikes, but it's not what I want right now. I just want to get as much kms as possible and learn to handle a bike.

Hm, I wonder if I can get the whole bike through the door :p
No problem, friend of mine has SR500 cafe that I've help'd to carry in to small hut/cottage, two doors with 90? corner between...

Oh sure, it can be done. My priorities have shifted a bit, though. Cafe racers is what got me interested again in bikes, but it's not what I want right now. I just want to get as much kms as possible and learn to handle a bike.
Wait till you try one. Said SR cafe made my wrist ache in 2 minutes. I now look to homosohva ie. Goldwings..