I can't wank to this.

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
Shame but I've never been a major fan.

Nice to see one of my long-standing customers still involved and getting a mention in the article.

They are a small company and the Sky Active tech, the next MX-5 and CX-5 are all more important in the long run for them than what is frankly a boutique engine that the population in general doesn't seem to understand.
That said there is a lot of contradictory information about Mazda's rotary development out at the moment. That report says it is dead (for the time being) others say they are planning on mating it to a hybrid and others are full wacky saying Mazda will incorperate laser ignition into the thing, so until Mazda issues an official press release I wouldn't trust in what any particular web site has to say.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/mazda_rotary_road_110805/

:( Hopefully they sell enough of the Skyactiv cars to keep developing a new rotary, then. I can't imagine a Mazda that doesn't make a Wankel.

Good riddance. The rotary needed to die with the RX-7 period. It is a gutless & torqueless engine with no redeeming qualities. I hate my wife's rotary in her RX-8, what I wouldn't give for a proper 6cyl engine in that car. If we had the money I'd swap a Chevy V8 or the Mazda/Ford 3.5L V6 in there and be done with it.

Good riddance. The rotary needed to die with the RX-7 period. It is a gutless & torqueless engine with no redeeming qualities. I hate my wife's rotary in her RX-8, what I wouldn't give for a proper 6cyl engine in that car. If we had the money I'd swap a Chevy V8 or the Mazda/Ford 3.5L V6 in there and be done with it.

Convince her to trade it in for a 370Z or a used 350Z. :D

Convince her to trade it in for a 370Z or a used 350Z. :D

Actually, when she's done paying it off in 2 years she wants to trade it in for a full size 4 door pickup truck. Something like a Dodge Ram, Ford F150 or a Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra.

Ward's Auto said:
Apart from budgetary reasons, rotary engines also pose technical disadvantages in light of increasingly strict fuel-economy and emissions standards. They are less fuel-efficient than their traditional counterparts and don?t burn as cleanly.

And that is that. To Mazda, I say piss or get off the pot, and don't suck your company down because tradition takes precedent over progress. Both have their places, but profit is made on progress these days in the automotive industry.

And that is that. To Mazda, I say piss or get off the pot, and don't suck your company down because tradition takes precedent over progress. Both have their places, but profit is made on progress these days in the automotive industry.

Unfortunately for you and other auto enthusiasts tradition is something that most automakers are doing away with because too many politicians and leaders feel fuel economy and carbons is more important than fun and a happy society. Besides, would you rather Mazda ditch the 2dr coupe idea completely simply because it does not have a rotary engine under the bonnet because it breaks with "tradition"? Or would you rather have something technologically sound that keeps the car around longer? If Mazda puts an I4 turbo or V6 under the bonnet of the next RX that gets 250+bhp 210+torque and does 30-35mpg while doing 0-60 in 6 seconds I would have absolutely NO problem with it. Hell, there are literally naturally aspirated I4's in various spots on the planet that outperform the current Mazda rotary.

In this particular instance the "tradition" is for something that is not worthy of such praise--that being the current rotary. The current rotary is a rubbish engine, especially when having to haul around a curb weight of 3,000lbs with 212bhp and 159torque to work with. That is 300lbs more than an FD RX-7 by the way. At least the FD RX-7 had the option of twin turbos from factory, and that made up for the lack of overall power with 255bhp and 215-ish torque. And it was a smaller engine.

Am I happy that the V8 will go by the wayside in my lifetime (sooner probably than later)? Fuck no. But, if smaller engines produce the same amount of power/performance and entitles the "fun stuff" like Mustangs, Corvettes, Nissan Z cars, Merc AMGs, BMW Ms and or the Jags of the world alive then that's the price we must pay as enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for you and other auto enthusiasts tradition is something that most automakers are doing away with because too many politicians and leaders feel fuel economy and carbons is more important than fun and a happy society. Besides, would you rather Mazda ditch the 2dr coupe idea completely simply because it does not have a rotary engine under the bonnet because it breaks with "tradition"? Or would you rather have something technologically sound that keeps the car around longer? If Mazda puts an I4 turbo or V6 under the bonnet of the next RX that gets 250+bhp 210+torque and does 30-35mpg while doing 0-60 in 6 seconds I would have absolutely NO problem with it. Hell, there are literally naturally aspirated I4's in various spots on the planet that outperform the current Mazda rotary.

Then it wouldn't rightly be an RX, now would it?

In this particular instance the "tradition" is for something that is not worthy of such praise--that being the current rotary. The current rotary is a rubbish engine, especially when having to haul around a curb weight of 3,000lbs with 212bhp and 159torque to work with. That is 300lbs more than an FD RX-7 by the way. At least the FD RX-7 had the option of twin turbos from factory, and that made up for the lack of overall power with 255bhp and 215-ish torque. And it was a smaller engine.

Am I happy that the V8 will go by the wayside in my lifetime (sooner probably than later)? Fuck no. But, if smaller engines produce the same amount of power/performance and entitles the "fun stuff" like Mustangs, Corvettes, Nissan Z cars, Merc AMGs, BMW Ms and or the Jags of the world alive then that's the price we must pay as enthusiasts.

It wasn't optional. It wasn't smaller.

Then it wouldn't rightly be an RX, now would it?

It wasn't optional. It wasn't smaller.

And why wouldn't it be an RX? The RX started off life as just packages or versions of existing platforms. The RX-2 was just a package option for the Mazda Capella in the 70's and the RX-3 was based on the Mazda Familia. Only until the RX-7 did a bespoke platform get created.

You're taking my "option" statement too literal. :lol: Mazda had the "option" to add those turbos to that engine, they could of "opted" out of forced induction and done only naturally aspirated. It was Mazda's option not the consumer. :D

And why wouldn't it be an RX? The RX started off life as just packages or versions of existing platforms. The RX-2 was just a package option for the Mazda Capella in the 70's and the RX-3 was based on the Mazda Familia. Only until the RX-7 did a bespoke platform get created.

You're taking my "option" statement too literal. :lol: Mazda had the "option" to add those turbos to that engine, they could of "opted" out of forced induction and done only naturally aspirated. It was Mazda's option not the consumer. :D

As above, the "R" in RX stands for rotary.

'At least the FD RX-7 had the option of twin turbos from factory'

Read that again, and tell me if anybody could possibly interpret any other meaning than literal from that statement.

If it is all true, and I wouldn't be surprised, RIP little spinner.

Last edited:
I'll be sad to see it gone. I love rotary motors, just because they are something a little different.

I still want a Mazda REPU at some point.

As above, the "R" in RX stands for rotary.

That may be true but it still doesn't mean you couldn't still produce a coupe with a proper engine. It is just a name after all. :)

That may be true but it still doesn't mean you couldn't still produce a coupe with a proper engine. It is just a name after all. :)

Then it'll be called an MX. As in MX-6, MX-3, and yes, MX-5. And I for one would miss the rotary if it goes. It's the closest thing we have to a turbine road car today.