Ownership Verified: I finally made up my mind on a car, My 2009 STi.

Hopefully the warranty covers the engine rebuild. :cry: AFAIK it's not that rare thing to happen, so the car might be perfectly fine otherwise. Could it be possible, that the previous owner knew the problem and just used way thicker oil to cover it or something? If it's the bearing I mean. Anyway, hopefully you get a fixed engine that can take many years of abuse without worries.

That sucks, Bob. Looks like a sweet car. I hope the dealership or the warranty makes the situation right somehow.

So the dealership called me today and said they car needs a new shortblock assembly aka bottom end. Which means it most likely was a rod bearing failure. It's a common issue on the 2009 STis. The records on the car are perfect, so while it will be a massive pain in the ass I can't see a reason why the extended warranty would not cover it. I've known of this particular car for about a year so I know it hasn't been abused, it's simply a defect. I'm picking documents up from the previous owner tomorrow to start the process. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
That's true. Just as a comparison here's a little Cobb image of their S1 tune vs the stock tune, this is a 2012 which I believe is richer than the 08-09 STis.

388530_321484407881609_1237620676_n.jpg

Really hope it's covered under warranty for you. That would be an awful hit if not.

Last edited:
Well that sucks. Atleast it happened so soon that it should be covered by warranty. I wish you luck dealing with it.

I read about these issues some time ago. Engine failure could occur no matter how well the owner treated the car. I remember someone getting a Cobb tune on his new ('09) STI to avoid possible issues with problematic stock tune only to have his engine fail at 5000 miles.

After almost three weeks I finally heard back from the dealership. Everything will be under warranty! They're ordering parts so it will be another few weeks before I get my car back.

Yay?

Yay!

After almost three weeks I finally heard back from the dealership. Everything will be under warranty! They're ordering parts so it will be another few weeks before I get my car back.

Phew!

Don't settle for any sub-par work.

Awesome! :clap:

Might be a spun bearing, as well. Subarus are NOTORIOUS for spun bearings. My buddy Branden went through 3 engines on his swapped Leggy wagon for the same thing.

Cobb tunes are nice, for sure. Stage 1 is for a bone stock car. Stage 2 is for intake and exhaust. I'm sure it was just a general manufacturing defect, though, and so I'm glad your dealership was able to take care of it under warranty for you :) Just used the extended warranty on my MINI. Lovely thing to have.

Completely new engine or repaired original?

Just a new short block assembly. They had to machine the heads to fit the new block as they normally would. It's still basically a new engine with all the seized components that were replaced.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that running a Cobb stage 1 map actually helps with reliability, being richer than the (too lean) stock map.

Rumor has it that running a Cobb stage 1 map actually helps with reliability, being richer than the (too lean) stock map.

That's correct. Either a Stage 1 or a richer "Stage 0".

That's correct. Either a Stage 1 or a richer "Stage 0".

Once the extended warranty expires next year (around the same time I'll pay it off) I'm doing that stage one tune plus a killer b oil pickup. Since the stock oil pickup is known to crack.