I fixed it! - show your MacGyver skills

As is the case with almost any Audi from my generation, mine came with a broken arm rest compartment release latch.

This meant it would only stay in place in the down position. If you lifted it, the lid would just fall backwards and all the contents spill into the rear passenger footwells.

So I went to a hardware store and bought a kitchen cupboard magnet.

I should one day cut off the little nubs from the release latch too, I suppose.

That's genius. I need to do the same to the Blue Waffle.

Wait...you guys actually lift that armrest up sometimes?? :?

It seems the armrest isn't just an armrest but a storage compartment, too (as is the one in my car). When you have something in there (a sponge for de-misting in my case) you have to open the lid which is the top half of the armrest. ;)

Lifting it out of place comes in handy when you're doing spirited driving and there's another cubby hold under it, next to the handbrake lever.

I got a call last week that my rental property passed inspection before the new tenants moved in, but the guy said there was a faulty GFI socket in the garage that he wanted to come back out and check. I'm not an electrician but I can handle the basic stuff, so if there was some sort of fault in the line I'd have to call in a pro which would cost me $$$$$$$$$. Thankfully with another trip to Home Depot for a new socket and a couple minutes with a screw driver is all it needed. Go me.

I got a call last week that my rental property passed inspection before the new tenants moved in, but the guy said there was a faulty GFI socket in the garage that he wanted to come back out and check. I'm not an electrician but I can handle the basic stuff, so if there was some sort of fault in the line I'd have to call in a pro which would cost me $$$$$$$$$. Thankfully with another trip to Home Depot for a new socket and a couple minutes with a screw driver is all it needed. Go me.

Wait, that sounds like a proper fix. You are hereby disqualified from this thread. :p

As for the armrest debate, I have exactly the same one as Ice and MWF and other than for the track day I've never had any need and/or desire to ever move it up to the non-armrest position. :dunno: I do, however, use the compartment inside to hold my sunglasses when it's not sunny. Which happens a lot. Because England.

The 3.5mm mic jack on the top of my case has been playing up for quite a while now. Last night I got back into playing Battlefield and decided that I needed a working mic.
After discovering that the mic only remained detected and connected when applying pressure to the jack, I peaked down the hole and noticed the bottom rang had bent a little bit, which was why the mic jack did not make contact unless I pressed down on it. I grabbed a half empty pack of pain killers nearby and scrunched up a little bit of the foil and rammed it into the mic jack.

Fixed and works without any issue now.

Wait, that sounds like a proper fix. You are hereby disqualified from this thread. :p

Well lets be fair here, you can't really half ass an electrical repair, not unless the idea of a house fire sounds good to you.

When I replaced the master cylinder in my old Jeep CJ, it changed the pedal travel slightly. Just enough so that the brake light switch wouldn't turn off the brake lights when the pedal was all the way at the top of it's travel. I tried and tried to fiddle with the position of the switch to no avail. So I ended up just zap strapping a piece of plastic to the contact point on the pedal arm. It gave it just enough extra clearance to depress the switch and make the brake lights work.

I'm pretty proud of that one. :lol:

When I lost power on Sunday, I had no idea how long it was going to be out and all the stores had sold all their ice by the time I got there. So what to do to keep all the frozen stuff frozen and the fridge cold? Well, I had some 1 gallon buckets that I took outside and filled with snow and packed it tight several times. I put 4 in the big freezer, and two in each side of the fridge. When we came back on Tuesday, the freezers never peaked above 30(I put thermometer with data recording in them).

Color me impressed. Thankfully, ours was only out for a couple hours in the morning, though, it's kept pretty full, so leaving the door closed was most productive. The only causality was some ice cream going soft.

I haven't checked the ice cream yet. It might be a good time to do that.

Edit: It was a bit crystalized, so it was not perfect.

Last edited:
As I posted in the "pic of your PC desk" I made myself a comfy PC chair out of a spare seat and some random items. Does that count as MacGuyvering something?
Older pic, had just finished the seat.

That looks quite comfy! Now all you need is a gaming wheel! :thumbsup:

That looks quite comfy! Now all you need is a gaming wheel! :thumbsup:
You can see my logitech dfp in the bottom of the screen. :D
Though I am planning on getting a newer one. And probably build a proper gaming seat out of an other spare seat I have. this one is a bit too high to use with the TV.

What a cheaparse, that isn't even duct tape. I wonder what they reversed in to.

What a cheaparse, that isn't even duct tape. I wonder what they reversed in to.

Looks like a concrete bollard or lampost has "rushed up behind them" and collided with their Hyundai.

That mess is like a "pull me over and hassle me" flag to the Cops, every time the thing is driven anywhere.

:rolleyes:

As I posted in the "pic of your PC desk" I made myself a comfy PC chair out of a spare seat and some random items. Does that count as MacGuyvering something?
Older pic, had just finished the seat.

11869954566_be4c750221_c.jpg

Well, one of us is gonna have to change. :|

Got a sudden urge to make an oil drum BBQ.

That looks like Stephenson's Rocket!