• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I had the flu to end all flus.

Jay

the fool on the hill
So at 7:00 am Monday morning whilst driving to work I was feeling a tad sick. Then came the waves of queesy, then I finally got sick in a trash can. So I left.

Fo fucks sake, I puked 6 times between 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. In fact at 5:00 pm, I finished the TG winter special, got up, went to urinate and puked in the sink while trying to aim in the toilet. My stomach got wrung out. I was puking little bits of bile.

Between barfing, I slept and drank Gatorade to try to absorb as much liqud as possible.

Tuesday all day I was at work shivering with a fever. I spent the full day there, got home and slept from 5:30 pm tuesday until 5:00 am today.

Today I feel great!

I rarely ever get the flu, much less a stomach flu, so I guess this was uh, an occasion for me.

Over after two days? Probably wasn't the flu! ;)

I guess you had food poisoning or something like that. Glad you're feeling better though.

Re: I had the flu to end all flus.

jayhawk said:
Fo fucks sake, I puked 6 times between 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. In fact at 5:00 pm, I finished the TG winter special, got up, went to urinate and puked in the sink while trying to aim in the toilet. My stomach got wrung out. I was puking little bits of bile.

More details than I needed....esoecially since I just finished supper :puke:

jayhawk said:
Today I feel great!

Glad to hear it bro!!

If you can give me a little bit more information I can probably tell you exactly what you had.

Any diarrhea? what was the consistency of the vomit, any blood in it. Can you describe the bile. What about your fever, any pattern to it? Any pain (intensity, localization, radiation to any other body part) ? What was the last meal you had before getting sick? Any chance of contamination?

Feel free to ignore but I am a little curious :p

But hey, at least you finished watching the TG winter special. So it's all good. 8)

JspotMD said:
If you can give me a little bit more information I can probably tell you exactly what you had.

Any diarrhea? what was the consistency of the vomit, any blood in it. Can you describe the bile. What about your fever, any pattern to it? Any pain (intensity, localization, radiation to any other body part) ? What was the last meal you had before getting sick? Any chance of contamination?

Feel free to ignore but I am a little curious :p

Well, since you asked...

When I first felt sick, it seemed as if my stomach didnt know which way to exit. First I threw up, then got home and my butt exploded, nbo blood in that, then I threw up from then on. No blood in it, no pains anywhere else. It seemed my stomach wanted EVERYTHING out. Last meal was 2 hours before getting sick, celreal and yogurt, but I felt sick before that. The nausea just came out of nowhere. The bile was bright yellow, had the consistentcy of snot.

Fever started after the first vomiting, I was shivering until last night, where it switched to being in warm waves, and now I feel warm every once in a while. Urine is still dark yellow, slight burn, but thats my fault for not drinking alot of fluid.

It seems around my area everyone is getting a (and I quote) "24 hour flu." I was exposed to a possible virus carrier on Saturday morning.

2 things.

First off, thank you everyone for the concern. I would not wish what I went through on anyone.

Second, in a place like Austrailia, do the flu and colds come through during your winter or summer months? I have always been curious on that. Here we get them during our winter (November-March) months.

Yeah, same here in the states. Starts in mid-october and lasts until early April. I get a flu shot, just becuase I have done so all my life.

Must have sucked man, I had salmonella posioning in 1st grade, I was out for a week straight and I sh*t my brains out so bad.

Glad you are doing better, if it got worse, you would have probably had to have gone to the hospital.

You're not the only one who has been sick!

I actually think I got mono from a chick. I've had the worse sore throat of my entire life these past few days. My lymph nodes are swollen in my neck too.

A couple nights ago, I had to force food down my throat because it was hurting so much. Today, it is SLIGHTLY better. I've been gargling several times a day to keep it clean.

Mono isn't a major problem though. It's just annoying and I have to be careful not to spread it to others. Damn, no contact with females for a while . . . wait, so it is a major problem! HELP!!! I'm gonna die!!!

Z Draci said:

I actually think I got mono from a chick. I've had the worse sore throat of my entire life these past few days. My lymph nodes are swollen in my neck too.

A couple nights ago, I had to force food down my throat because it was hurting so much. Today, it is SLIGHTLY better. I've been gargling several times a day to keep it clean.

Mono isn't a major problem though. It's just annoying and I have to be careful not to spread it to others. Damn, no contact with females for a while . . . wait, so it is a major problem! HELP!!! I'm gonna die!!!

:eek: Good Lord, man...go to a hospital! Swollen ANYTHING in the neck cant be good!

PLEASE!! :cry:

Swollen lymph nodes are quite common when the body is fighting an infection. Its actually a sign that your immune system is working well.

The lymph nodes are where the white blood cells take the pathogens and invaders so that they can be cleansed and gotten rid of.

"When the body is fighting an infection, these lymphocytes multiply rapidly and produce a characteristic swelling of the lymph nodes."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymph_nodes

First Z Draci: I'd go to the doc's anyways to get a throat swab. If the culture comes back potitive for Strep, you need antibiotics or you might risk developing rheumatic heart disease (really is a silent killer). You're probably right that it's mono though given the story and the lymphadenopathy in your neck.

jayhawk: You've had a bout of actue gastroenteritis probably caused by the norwalk virus. It is common in "outbreaks of stomach flu" and is passed fecal-orally. That means you need to ingest something contaminated with the feces of someone who got sick. It could be as simple as shaking hands with someone who didn't wash them properly (I stress PROPERLY here because a quick job can leave a lot behind). Sounds disgusting but this kind of contamination is very common. Kids + swimming pool = code brown :p Polio is transmitted the same way and they traced outbreaks back to swimming pools.

Also, Stomach flu is not caused by the Influenza virus which will give you actual "Flu." Flu shots are only good againt Influenza which gives you a wicked respiratory tract infection and kills a lot of people every year. Little known fact is that if the vaccine you got was prepared for the wrong flu strains, you're SOL. Likewise. colds aren't caused by the flu virus but by the Rhinovirus. Antibiotics are useless in ALL cases of viral infection.

As for the "flu seasons." There are two reasons that have been tentatively proven with scientific evidence. 1 - People are in more close contact during the colder months (and they're also not away on vacation). 2 - Kids are the greatest disease vector. If you check the rates of disease when kids are in school, they go up regardless of the season. If the school year went from may to august, that would probably be one of the "disease seasons."

JspotMD said:
First Z Draci: I'd go to the doc's anyways to get a throat swab. If the culture comes back potitive for Strep, you need antibiotics or you might risk developing rheumatic heart disease (really is a silent killer). You're probably right that it's mono though given the story and the lymphadenopathy in your neck.

Wow, we have an in-house MD! I'm actually a med student and I did my own amature diagnosis and told myself it was probably mono. I'm actually a super healthy guy who never gets sick so any kind of symptom is a bad sign.

I'll hold off on going to the doctor one more day. I think the soreness is actually going away now. If I still have it tomorrow, I'll go to the clinic at school and see if it's a virus or strep.

Heh well not an full blown MD yet (just getting into my clerkship) :p

Your plan sounds like what I would do. At which school are you studying?

JspotMD said:
Heh well not an full blown MD yet (just getting into my clerkship) :p

Your plan sounds like what I would do. At which school are you studying?

I'm actually taking my first year of med school courses at UC Riverside. We don't have a full medical program here yet. They just offer the first two years. Then we transfer over to UCLA. It's a joint program the UC schools have.

We're also free to transfer to any other med school we choose. I really can't complain since I finished my bachelor's right here in Riverside.

Z Draci said:

I had the exact same thing when I was in San Diego! Strepthroat and infectuous mononucleosis, it was hell! The mono wasn't so bad, I just felt a little weak, but the strepthroat was killing me!

Eating was torturing but necessary, swallowing in general hurt like hell. I was unable to sleep through the night, got up like 10 times every night to spit out blood and so on!

Damn...usually I don't get sick at all, but that shit lasted ~2 weeks! (antibiotics didn't help much)

BTW, I probably got it from a chick too! I hooked up a couple of times with some 23-year-old Brazilian girl (I was 20 at the time :mrgreen:). Saw her afterwards, she didn't show any symptoms though...