• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I just dropped a heavy piece of metal on my big toe!

Tomo Motorsport

Just wondering if anyone has broken their big toe and can describe the pain since I never broke a bone in my body before (got milk?) so I don't really know what a broken toe feels like. Here's a list of symptoms I have right now just in case anyone is a doctor or a nurse and can tell me if there's anything seriously wrong with my toe:

It's turned a loely shade of deep bluish purple
Kind of swollen
I can still walk on it
Theres only pain on the spot of impact.
Limited movement of the toe
burning sensation around the spot of pain and the pain is piercing but limited to one spot

Im guessing the limited movement is because of fluids the fill up around a bruise and make it harder for a joint to move.

Umm ouch....

At least its 'only' your toe - thanks to my ledgenday clumsiness I've just dropped and smashed into a gazillion pieces a hand made glass platter we received as a wedding gift a year ago from a close friend. Methinks I'm in trouble when I break the news to my wife

:lol:

Did you hear any type of snap or crack on impact?

fbc said:
Umm ouch....

At least its 'only' your toe - thanks to my ledgenday clumsiness I've just dropped and smashed into a gazillion pieces a hand made glass platter we received as a wedding gift a year ago from a close friend. Methinks I'm in trouble when I break the news to my wife

Was it an "accident?" ...c'mon, tell the truth

Thanks for the link Firecat, I guess its not broken since I can move it and touch it and put my weight on and stuff. Man, my poor toe has been trough a lot, Once, in camp, I was prepairing to dive off a dock, but the dock has horizontal slits in it to drain the water, so my friend gets the idea that it would be fun to push me off, so my toe got stuck in the slit as I fell in face first, but as it was coming out of the slit, it got pulled severely and the toe nail got pushed into the toe.

The next day, I went hiking and lagged behind everyone, but did it just to prove high manly I was. So after it healed, or so I thought, the toe nail began to grow inward and the flesh under it got infected which earned me 4 trips to the local clinic, on the fourth I had to have my toe nail removed. It was supposed to get anasthetics, but after 5 or so of unsuccessful tries to get the needle into the right spot(yes thats five holes in my toe), the witch doctor decided to remove it anyway. She did that by inserting a small scalpel under the toe nail and cutting it off from the skin, then she cut the toe nail in half, the she yanked it out with a pair of pliers. while I, being a man, silently endured the somewhat subdued pain.

Moral of the story: you guys think of one, I got nothing.

I broken bone is less painful than you would expect (in my many experiences) - it's usually the tissue damage/swelling that has brought me pain in the past.

I'd suggest giving it a day - if it still hurts a lot in the morning get an x-ray.

Hope it gets better. ;)

Gotta love the internet diagnosis. Just wait till some member tells you that it is some rare form of an tropical disease. Seriously, you should visit your doctor he probably knows best. ;)

Firecat said:
fbc said:
Umm ouch....

Was it an "accident?" ...c'mon, tell the truth

Sadly yes, that's the truth, I'm just a clumsy-extraordinaire at times...

*runs off to find a heavy piece of metal to drop onto big toe to divert wife's attention*

Tomo Motorsport said:
the toe began to grow inward and the flesh under it got infected which earned me 4 trips to the local clinic, on the fourth I had to have my toe removed. It was soppesed to get anasthetics, but after 5 or so of unsuccessful tries to get the needle into the right spot(yes thats five holes in my toe), the witch doctor decided to remove it anyway. She did that by inserting a small scalpel under the toe nail and cutting it off from the skin, then she cut the toe nail in half, the she yanked it out with a pair of pliers. while I, being a man, silently endured the somewhat subdued pain.
I had the exact same thing happen to me (including the anesthetic not working).
However, that wasn't the end of it, after the toe nail grew back, it happened again, and I ended up having surgery to remove something in the toe. Dunno what exacltly what it was, but the toe nail doesn't seem to grow in width anymore, only in length (and it looks a bit Frankenstein-ish).

Tomo Motorsport said:
Thanks for the link Firecat, I guess its not broken since I can move it and touch it and put my weight on and stuff. Man, my poor toe has been trough a lot, Once, in camp, I was prepairing to dive off a dock, but the dock has horizontal slits in it to drain the water, so my friend gets the idea that it would be fun to push me off, so my toe got stuck in the slit as I fell in face first, but as it was coming out of the slit, it got pulled severely and the toe nail got pushed into the toe.

The next day, I went hiking and lagged behind everyone, but did it just to prove high manly I was. So after it healed, or so I thought, the toe began to grow inward and the flesh under it got infected which earned me 4 trips to the local clinic, on the fourth I had to have my toe removed. It was soppesed to get anasthetics, but after 5 or so of unsuccessful tries to get the needle into the right spot(yes thats five holes in my toe), the witch doctor decided to remove it anyway. She did that by inserting a small scalpel under the toe nail and cutting it off from the skin, then she cut the toe nail in half, the she yanked it out with a pair of pliers. while I, being a man, silently endured the somewhat subdued pain.

Ow.
Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow. :blink:

I'm paranoid about losing toes or fingers, so just reading your story gives me the jibblies!

yeah dutch_designer u gave me a brainwave..........hey Tomo Motorsport were you wearing the "Scientific Invention to Ais and comfort " AKA Shoes?

Sorry about the pain dude.....I have had sore finger before,of my hand.....I play cricket and the ball is damn hard.....

ahhhh...damn. How I wish cricket was more popular in the States.

chaos386 said:
Tomo Motorsport said:

The next day, I went hiking and lagged behind everyone, but did it just to prove high manly I was. So after it healed, or so I thought, the toe began to grow inward and the flesh under it got infected which earned me 4 trips to the local clinic, on the fourth I had to have my toe removed. It was soppesed to get anasthetics, but after 5 or so of unsuccessful tries to get the needle into the right spot(yes thats five holes in my toe), the witch doctor decided to remove it anyway. She did that by inserting a small scalpel under the toe nail and cutting it off from the skin, then she cut the toe nail in half, the she yanked it out with a pair of pliers. while I, being a man, silently endured the somewhat subdued pain.

Ow.
Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow. :blink:

I'm paranoid about losing toes or fingers, so just reading your story gives me the jibblies!

same here... damn... :?

Well, I have some good news. My toe is healing fine and is fully functional, the swelling occured because of fluids rushing in to cushion the hurt spot. The swelling has gone away and life is back to normal. It amazes me how the body works.

Thanks for that HIGH RES pic :roll: :lol: