• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I just got a new car.

Viggen

Car(s)
12 VW Golf GTI
Haven't been on the forums for quite some time since I had a lot on my hands for the last few weeks, notably final exams and a death in the family.

Long story short, my Grandpa recently passed away after more than a year of battling cancer. Funeral services were done and he was air-shipped home to his native Philippines where he is now buried. Before my Grandma flew home where she will be staying for the next couple months, she offered me to take Grandpa's 2000 Toyota Corolla, the car my Dad and I helped him buy brand-new. She didn't asked to pay her upfront (but I will have to do favors for her of course - she can't drive), but just to take the car off her hands right away.

So here I am driving a hand-me-down base-model Corolla with automatic :groan:. To be honest, I'm not much of a Toyota fan and I swore to myself many times that I would never drive a Corolla or Camry because they are the "Kitchen Aid of automobiles" and lacking in character and soul. But since I was given the car for "free", I couldn't refuse. After driving the car, I decided it wasn't so bad at all. The 1.8-liter four with VVTi is smooth and delivers plenty of kick for a very light car. More feedback and a little more weight in the steering would be nice though. And it didn't have power-anything, and not even a remote trunk release and central locking. But who cares? Less crap to break anyway.

It's still boring to drive and to look at overall, but it does its job extremely well as a reliable daily commuter. Once I got enough savings, I will treat it for new suspension mods, wheels/tires, window tint, and a new stereo system.

I'm not totally familiar with Corollas, so any Toyota gurus on board, some feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

You take RELIABILITY for granted! If you ask for a high performance car, you are also asking for high maintanence. People don't talk about this, but a fast car eats up your wallet.

My advice is to keep it stock. It's only a Corolla. It is nothing special. By modifying it, you are telling the whole world you are proud to own a Corolla. Please don't embarass yourself! If you like to modify, buy a proper car for a base.

If I were you, I'd keep the Corolla while saving money for a second car. A high performance car WILL leave you without a mode of transport at one time or another. It will be wise to have that trusty Corolla at your side.

Z Draci said:
You take RELIABILITY for granted! If you ask for a high performance car, you are also asking for high maintanence. People don't talk about this, but a fast car eats up your wallet.

since when is a corolla a performance car?

and in case of toyota, you can take reliability for granted, hardly anything ever breaks on a toyota

as a free car you don't realy want, i think the corolla is the best one you could get (image you got a lanos or sth :cry: ), decent power, good mileage, nice interiour, and VERY GOOD reliability

i agree on the modding though, install an ICE system, but leave the suspension and rims etc stock, it's not worth the money

sorry about your grandad... if I remember, you were still and studying and honestly a Corolla will do good in your study years when you want a cheap to run reliable car that starts every morning for the next 5-6 years.. don't bother throwing any money in it

Interesting coincidence. My first car was a Corolla i was handed down when my grandfather died. Reliable cars.

Z Draci said:
My advice is to keep it stock. It's only a Corolla. It is nothing special. By modifying it, you are telling the whole world you are proud to own a Corolla. Please don't embarass yourself! If you like to modify, buy a proper car for a base.
What he said. And sorry for your loss. :(

An old person passing away is like a library going up in flames.
Take good care of Grandma, and your parents for that matter, you never know how long they are going to be around. ;)

Roman said:
Take good care of Grandma, and your parents for that matter, you never know how long they are going to be around. ;)

very well said Roman.. couldn't agree more

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I appreciate it.

Z Draci said:

Yeah, (North American) Corollas aren't nothing special. But there's no written rule that you can't mod it. I mean, why not? I've seen modded Corollas running around town and some of them are done really clean and tasteful with the right parts. I think the car is no more embarassing than, say, a Geo Metro or a Toyota Echo.

The car is currently riding on crap tires and 14-inch steelies, so that is one of the first things I'd want to change. But not much else I could do on that car, powertrain-wise anyway.

I'm going to keep the car for a while until I finally saved enough to get a MINI Cooper S and either continue to use it as a work commuter or pass the car on to my sister.

SiR_dude said:
andyhui01 said:
Roman said:

And again.

My grandfathers are about to celebrate their marriage's 50th anniversary, and I took some photos of them to make a big picture to put on a wall, and reminded me of this thread.

So, count one more to support Roman's quote. :)

Viggen said:
Yeah, (North American) Corollas aren't nothing special. But there's no written rule that you can't mod it. I mean, why not? I've seen modded Corollas running around town and some of them are done really clean and tasteful with the right parts. I think the car is no more embarassing than, say, a Geo Metro or a Toyota Echo.
Comparing your Corolla to a Metro or an Echo is reason enough to let it be and wait 'til you have a car with some potential to modify or personalize, no ?

Come on, I know it was given to you but it will always be a reliable commuter and trying to get it to look like a sports car will cost you lots of money and will never be fast or will end up costing more than an unmodified car of the same price, no matter how good the car looks in the end. Face it, what can be done to a base Corolla to make it faster and how much hp do you have in the end anyway ?
If it was the XRs, 170 hp. engined one, maybe... but still.

Let me give you this as an example:
  • If a modified point A to point B car looking like a BTCC racer comes up top the light next to me (in my truck :lol: ) and I leave it there wondering what just happened , I laugh my ass off.
  • If I take off next to a base Corolla I think nothing of it and don't even push hard on the throttle.
Put decent wheels on it, you'll look good but won't be made fun of, save money, then go for your fancy. Instead of trying to make what you got from your Grandpa's passing into what it is not.
Viggen said:
I'm going to keep the car for a while until I finally saved enough to get a MINI Cooper S and either continue to use it as a work commuter or pass the car on to my sister.
I like that idea a lot more.

I am not trying to be against your idea for the sake of arguing but rather trying to pass on some of me and my friends' experiences.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I am only trying to help.

bihus said:
SiR_dude said:
andyhui01 said:
Roman said:

And again.

My grandfathers are about to celebrate their marriage's 50th anniversary, and I took some photos of them to make a big picture to put on a wall, and reminded me of this thread.

Wow guys I love how you support my words. :thumbsup:

Being in my thirties makes my parents in their early sixties. One of my close friend, over the last two years, lost both her parents to cancer and they were the same age as mine are. Makes me realize it could happen fast and her situation could have been mine. My mom and especially my dad know this, dad lost a few of his friends to heart condition and cancer over the last few years and they wonder sometimes when it could happen to them. They are retired but active and they take good care of themselves and each other. I do what I can to help but they don't ask for anything.

I cherish what moments we spend together now as I know the normality of things will take them from me in some years from now, the later the better as long as they are healthy.

What scares me the most is that they will celebrate 40 years of a wonderful marriage this weekend and I wonder what will happen to the other if one passes away long before the other. :(

So I guess you can understand where that first comment of mine came from.

bihus said:

my grandparents celebrated their 50th Anniversary last year... we had a huge black-tie party at a hotel ballroom with god knows how many guests, when I was talking to people outside out family, they were all like your so lucky that both your grandparents are still alive, most of their grandparents never make it to 50 years of marriage together... so that struck me and I thought to myself, how many more Christmas, Chinese New Year, anniversary celebrations will I have with them left.

andyhui01 said:
bihus said:

my grandparents celebrated their 50th Anniversary last year... we had a huge black-tie party at a hotel ballroom with god knows how many guests, when I was talking to people outside out family, they were all like your so lucky that both your grandparents are still alive, most of their grandparents never make it to 50 years of marriage together... so that struck me and I thought to myself, how many more Christmas, Chinese New Year, anniversary celebrations will I have with them left.

Exactly. And sometimes I feel so dumb... My house is next to their's, and there's a lot of weeks that go by that I don't even see them.