I know i am new but this is something that always bothered

S4toSTi

me. In... ok i am not at home and don't know the exact episode, but they test the bmw 5series D and when they put it on the hot lap board they took the m3 off even tho the Diesel ran the same time as the rx8 and the 350z which was the same time the m3 ran. Do you think they did this so they wouldn't insult bmw????

Yeah i did see that but that is the only time i have ever seen a car off the board just found it strange.

i dont think that TG took the M3 off the board because they didnt want to insult BMW. i think that BMW told them to take it down.

but i think that BMW should be ashamed that the 5xxd is faster than an M3. it just shows that the newly designed engine is as fast as an M3

I mean i thought that or tg inflated the diesels number but in that case for a non avid watcher they would not have noticed the m3 missing.

mike_tseng said:
shamed that the 5xxd is faster than an M3. it just shows that the newly designed engine is as fast as an M3
why should they be ashamed? the M3 is widely regarded as an outstanding car. if they managed to get their 535d to be as fast round that track than it is something to be proud of!
the new vauxhall astra is also faster than some old italian supercars...it just shows that there is development...

you should also not take the board too seriously. the stig gains experience with every lap he does and the nature of the track might suit some cars better than others. on a more twisty track the m3 would be faster than the 535d.

i guess it would be much faster today as well. in the first show the lamborghini murcielago did a 1:29

No Boss said:
S4toSTi said:
I mean i thought that or tg inflated the diesels number

TG being biased to a certain type of car? yeah, ok buddy..... :lol: :p

I hope that's sarcasm, because otherwise you're wrong...a while back I remember someone posting a link to some VW forum, where a local member who owned a Golf MkI or MkII was invited to bring his car for a test between it and other Golfs. He mentioned how one version was faster than the other, and TG MADE IT so that the "favoured" version was better.

*Edit: found it: http://www.mr2mk1club.com/TopGear.html It was an "old vs new" type show - read it through.

TG does have bias towards manufacturers who are "friendly" or "supportive" of the show. Aston Martin, Lotus, and Jaguar come to mind . . .

Jezza also seems to "make up numbers" sometimes to support his opinions. I'm sure other gearheads have noticed too. The average TG viewer does not so Jezza wins!

There are a few things on TG that appear to be biased...one that comes to mind is the total agreement that the vauxhall crosa is a crappy car,when in fact anyone who had one knows it's a fine car to almost any extent...it handls just fine,nothing special but it certainly isnt bad,when compared to French cars it has a wonderful interior with good quality materials and is generally a nice place to be, and the 1.4L 90hp engine more then delivers(Corsa C 2001 owned by my best friend). After they kept going at it against that car I started taking the things they say in proprtion...before that they were gods to me.
Then they went and called the VX220 funnest car of the year and that ruled out a manufacturer specific hatred,but the hatred for that model does come from somewhere I just can't understand.
BTW if there was a Corsa test sometime throughout the show I'd love a pointer.

SiR_dude said:
No Boss said:
S4toSTi said:
I mean i thought that or tg inflated the diesels number

TG being biased to a certain type of car? yeah, ok buddy..... :lol: :p

I hope that's sarcasm, because otherwise you're wrong...a while back I remember someone posting a link to some VW forum, where a local member who owned a Golf MkI or MkII was invited to bring his car for a test between it and other Golfs. He mentioned how one version was faster than the other, and TG MADE IT so that the "favoured" version was better.

*Edit: found it: http://www.mr2mk1club.com/TopGear.html It was an "old vs new" type show - read it through.

dont worry, my comment was coated in sarcasm and then deep fried in it. I thought you'd be able to tell.

No Boss said:
dont worry, my comment was coated in sarcasm and then deep fried in it. I thought you'd be able to tell.

I was getting worried there :lol: Unfortunately, I've got a cold and my nose is plugged, so my sense of smell is poor :p :lol: