I know who the STIG is

Also, wikipedia says that Hill has flat-out denied being the stig. You all know this from the 6/25 ep. Also, Frank mountain drove the Maser MC hammer while masquerading as the stig so that he would have utmost control over his "baby". It is the only MC in the UK and he didn't want an over-exuberant Ben Collins stuffing it into the tires like the 430. Still, as evidenced by the fifth gear incident at cadwell park, he's slightly overconfident in his abilities. :mrgreen:

Jacobfox said:
Also, wikipedia says that Hill has flat-out denied being the stig. You all know this from the 6/25 ep. Also, Frank mountain drove the Maser MC hammer while masquerading as the stig so that he would have utmost control over his "baby". It is the only MC in the UK and he didn't want an over-exuberant Ben Collins stuffing it into the tires like the 430. Still, as evidenced by the fifth gear incident at cadwell park, he's slightly overconfident in his abilities. :mrgreen:

So that was Frank Mountain that set the time in the MC-12?

Interesting, and a pretty damn impressive time for a property developer, compared to the stig (race drivers) times.

As for the Ben Collins mentions, i thought that when i saw B.C. steering. He has a similar movement style as the stig, he sits very very still, and only his arms make all the movements. That sounds like a silly statement, but you know, there's less body movement there than usual with drivers.

BUMP

Sorry about this, I've just been searching for, and reading, Stig-related threads in here for the last hour or so, and although everyone is apparently fed up with the discussion, this seemed like the "accepted" one. I'll also say before I get stuck in that I know the old (black) Stig was Perry McCarthy, when I say "The Stig" from now on I mean the current, white one.

Has nobody here mentioned that The Stig might be Johnny Herbert? I've just Googled and people seem to be thinking that elsewhere. My assumption wasn't based on that, though, it was two main things:

1. Herbert is small/short like The Stig (look at him being wheeled by Jeremy on the airport luggage trolley in the last episode for evidence - I know Clarkson is 6'4" but The Stig still looks really small, and he's wearing racing boots and a helmet!).

2. Herbert used to drive for the Benetton Renault F1 team (during the 1995 season), so he would have still had contacts at the current Renault F1 team - most notably Flavio Briatore himself, boss back then, and indeed now. I'm obviously referring to the fact that people have disputed the fact that "The Stig", if he is one driver, would have been allowed to drive the Renault F1 car. He also worked as some kind of PR bloke for Jordan during this F1 season just gone so he would still have definitely been very much in the F1 loop.

Him being employed in a PR position at Jordan shouldn't have got in the way, that could possibly be the reason why it was so important to keep his identity on TG a secret. He'd also have made the time to do it, I hardly think an ex-F1 driver, who only retired very recently, would be completely satisfied working in F1 but not ever getting the chance of a drive.

So what does everyone think? I can certainly believe it's not always Herbert, and that they just get someone like Hill in when he can't make it. I can't believe Frank Mountain did the "hot lap" in his MC12, considering it's in the No. 1 spot - didn't they also say that "The Stig" said that it was the difference between the ABS systems of the MC12 and Enzo that made the Mazerati faster? If Frank Mountain was that good/intuitive a driver then surely he'd have some proper racing credentials? Mountain would let TG have a few fast laps, as someone said earlier, he drove the same car aggressively on a wet/icy track on FG. I think he made some comment like "Well, that's how the car is supposed to be driven..." too. I'm not disputing the fact that the MC12 on TG was owned by Mountain, though.

I didn't Google around for Herbert/Stig discussion that much, but as I said, I just spent about an hour searching around in this forum for Stig-related stuff so I didn't bump an unwanted thread, or start a new unwanted one, etc...

Phew, time to press the submit button.

the stig is yo momma!! know whut i'm sayin homie!

I haven't followed this thread but It just reminds me of bigfoot sightings...without REAL proof it ain't real!

Here is my guess, or should I say, educated guess: Tiff Needell
Someone better pay me a beer when I go back to Europe, when I will be proven right.
I will not explain now, but later. 8)

i doubt that Frank did the lap in the MC12. I mean, there is no way that his time would be as good as that if he drove it. Consider the fact that the Stig nows the track much much much much more than Frank does.

MorroW said:
I like Stig more when I don't now who is he :roll:
That's secret is very well holded and hopefully it will be secret for a long time.

i agree. i think it's more entertaining when he's just treated as a "thing" that drives a car rather than as a person. :)

fbc said:
MorroW said:
I like Stig more when I don't now who is he

Agreed - the mystery of 'Stig - The Creature' is terrific
Same here, so why are we really keeping this thread open ? do we really wanna know who the stig is ? because if we know, I don't think it would be as fun. So why are we guessing when we don't really wanna know ?

cos the game of guessing is damn good fun

Because I am the Stig.

(lightning, dramatic pause)

Hey everyone,

I KNOW WHO THE STIG IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S BlaRo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just another interesting bit of information regarding Johnny Herbert and the MC12. From an article on MaseratiNet.com. .

"Johnny Herbert, Fabrizio De Simone, Mika Salo and Andrea Bertolini to drive Maserati MC12". .

"The drivers who will pilot the stunning new Maserati MC12 next weekend (5 September) at its debut in the FIA GT championship have been announced today. "

You can read the article here:
http://maseratinet.com/MCI/mc12_news.asp