I know who the STIG is

Hehehe, when I came here for the first time I had no idea what a hot topic this was. I got flamed very badly! I had no idea so i took it and didn't reply back.

I belive they are giving clues left and right and I really belive it's Damon, using some basic voice recognition software it is Damon Hill's voice in the episode that the boys buy the gold Jag, the BMW and the Mitsubishi. The lap times of each car are called out to them over the radio. The voice on the radio is Damon's.

Even in the episode with Damon, they both say, the two can't be in the same room together, but then give no explanation why.

Since I'm so new to these forums, sorry if this causes a massive amount of flaming like my first post did. Thank you to those who informed me rather then bash me! You guys are a hard bunch to break into!

My wife and I love Top Gear. I work across the street from the Discovery Channel offices in D.C. I petition them everytime I see the program director to give us the full show in the states!

voice recognition programs are rarely as accurate as they say they are.
and they never said that the STIG is the one who gave the lap times, it was probably the person doing the timing.

and when they say that they can't be in the same room together, it was a joke. if they wanted, they could just get some fairly skinny-ish guy that is around 6 foot to masquerade as the STIG.

and finally, welcome. its not the fact that we didnt agree with you, its the fact that there are millions of "identity of the STIG" threads, and you didnt search for it.

Damon Hill could be the STIG other than the fact that he would be too busy. I'm guessing that the STIG is probably an Ex-Rally Driver, rally driver's seem to have the most control over a variety of cars like the STIG does.

I realize now that there are a lot of Stig thread but just for fun, type it in to the search yourself! Almost every thread comes up! 20 pages worth of threads, most of them aren't even about the Stig. Why not make a Stig sub-forum and that all us newbies can see for ourselves.

So Damon couldn't call out the lap times after the filming of the lap? I'm sure there were multiple takes done, and even if, what would he be doing there? Your right, they could put someone in the suit and parade him around but they didn't why? To make us think he is the Stig? Proabably, adds more fuel then settles the issue.

a stig subforum is unnecessary, there is this thread!
the stig could call out the lap times, but how do we know that he did? it would make more sense for the people doing the timing to call out the lap times.
and the producers of TG would rather have the audience guessing about who the STIG rather than COMPLETELY disregarding that it could be Hill.

bartboy9891 said:
and the producers of TG would rather have the audience guessing about who the STIG rather than COMPLETELY disregarding that it could be Hill.

I agreed with you!

"To make us think he is the Stig? Proabably, adds more fuel then settles the issue."

Anyway......at least we can discuss the most entertaining show on TV! I've even written and e-mailed the BBC America studio's. There are tons of empty time slots they could put the show on here in America and they won't do it.

BTW: Whats with the 747 in the last episode? Is the runway they use still in service?

sorry :)
and i bet that the runway is probably still in service. you can always see a plane or two in the background.

Hehehe, no need for apologies! I've never seen a plane that size though, has there been one?

BTW bart.........you have the best avatar EVER!!!!!!!!!! Where it come from?

^dreamcast commercial or sth like that

mdaro said:
BTW: Whats with the 747 in the last episode? Is the runway they use still in service?

Yes. They film at Dunsfold park I believe, and that airport is now privately owned (as is Farnborough airport, Blackbushe and a number of other small airports around the South East...). There are private firms who fly small charter planes in and out of the airport and presumably a couple of large ones too...
The airport site
And does this look familiar? (a part of that is the top gear track)

my avatar is from an old Sega Rally commercial.

The various Stig thing i would say is dodgy as if A STIG I.E. PERRY can talk there is more chance of it happening with more stigs. ( I HOPE YOU UNDERSTOOD THAT.)

If someone is willing to we can work out the exact height of the stig

1. Take various screenshots where Stig and Jeremy are in the same shot preferably standing.(The afore mentioned Jeremy karting Stig in Episode would be a good start.
2. Use photoshop to measure the exact differences in height between the two
3. Mathematically knowing that JC is 6'5" it is possible to know the exact height of stig.

If someone is willing to do the screenshots i could do the rest.

I don't think it's Damon 1. Too tall 2. He did a lap time in the Liana on tape for the F1 drivers section.

In my heart i would love it to be Colin or Ally McRae. Rally drivers are extremely talented and i would say more capable to handle different cars.

I don't think the fact that the driver of the F1 car has to have a seat made makes any difference. As when Tiff done his laps in an F1 car they shouwed you him picking a seat from there array that best fits.!

This might sound silly, but I really think that you could exclude Hill being Stig from the different line they take for the first corner. IIRC, both Hill and Webber used the same wider line that not only the Stig uses, but he also recommends it to the guests that drive the Liana.

Considering the driving style of an F1 driver, I think it totally justifies the wider line and I really don't think that Damon would pretend a different racing line under the Stig costume.

You might think that my idea is obsurd, but this is what I actually think :)

OK, I've been to Dunsfold a few times as part of a group who have rented the airfield for car related events.

The first thing I can tell you is that a friend of mine has a photo of the Stig shot at the filming of the show which featured the F430, Zonda and Ford GT, where he is not wearing his helmet, only his nomex balaclava. From this shot we have determined he is Ex BTTC driver Ben Collins.

There are only a very small number of private planes take off and land at Dunsfold - probably only around 1 per day. The neighbours, who alledgedly include Anthea Turner get a bit upset with the noise. They have certainly moaned about the tyre squeeling from Caterham Motorsport who run corporate driving days there a fair bit.

The 747 has been dumped at Dunsfold to be turned into scenery for inplane sequences in movies. The plane was flown in, and it was doubtful it could get out again as the runway is very borderline in length. The engines have been taken off it and sold (as you will see in recent Top Gear programs).

The 747 Hamster uses to blow over a Mondeo and a 2CV (not sure if this has been aired yet) was not at Dunsfold as there is a busy road running alongside the airfield.

Thats about all I can tell you! P.S I've done a 1.22 around the track when I had to stay behind (ish) a pace car due to the Xover in the middle! Without the pace car I go round a fair bit quicker!

fatarnie said:
OK, I've been to Dunsfold a few times as part of a group who have rented the airfield for car related events.

The first thing I can tell you is that a friend of mine has a photo of the Stig shot at the filming of the show which featured the F430, Zonda and Ford GT, where he is not wearing his helmet, only his nomex balaclava. From this shot we have determined he is Ex BTTC driver Ben Collins.

Can you post the picture?

fatarnie said:

There are only a very small number of private planes take off and land at Dunsfold - probably only around 1 per day. The neighbours, who alledgedly include Anthea Turner get a bit upset with the noise. They have certainly moaned about the tyre squeeling from Caterham Motorsport who run corporate driving days there a fair bit.

The 747 has been dumped at Dunsfold to be turned into scenery for inplane sequences in movies. The plane was flown in, and it was doubtful it could get out again as the runway is very borderline in length. The engines have been taken off it and sold (as you will see in recent Top Gear programs).

The 747 Hamster uses to blow over a Mondeo and a 2CV (not sure if this has been aired yet) was not at Dunsfold as there is a busy road running alongside the airfield.

Thats about all I can tell you! P.S I've done a 1.22 around the track when I had to stay behind (ish) a pace car due to the Xover in the middle! Without the pace car I go round a fair bit quicker!

Unfortunately the pic IS a necessary requirement.

AND what car did you do that time in?
AND what kind of pace car was it?