Ownership Verified: I made "Someone Else's Problem" my own - 2006 VW Eos

The roof All body panels should be made separately with felt and Velcro (other hook and loop products are available) so they can be put on at jaunty angles.

Also a new party game - pin the roof on the Eos.

The roof All body panels should be made separately with felt and Velcro (other hook and loop products are available) so they can be put on at jaunty angles.

Also a new party game - pin the roof on the Eos.

You’re a pro already at this.

F0DB8EA3-5007-43C5-807C-AFDFA0E8CD0C.jpeg

You just described a moped car pretty well, I think.

Here we go, if you like listening to and watching cringe worthy stuff, I got some good shit for you.

Now this is the kind of realitytv that's actually worth watching :cool:

You know you love it! I hope your Eos friend has hydraulic fluid, you definitely want to top that up before the pump is completely destroyed.

The ziptied switch looks an awful lot like the one that detects the luggage cover being closed.

Yes, that thing. I assume it's that shelf like separation between the trunk and the roof storage area in the trunk?
The big Formteil with a hinged part away from the handle? Yes. Let me dig up pictures.

This has it closed with the roof in place, and open without the roof: https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/14ft-of-sensibleness-my-11-vw-eos.58513/page-2#post-2966018
IIRC the switch lives in the dark black plastic receptacle in the bottom left, where the U-shaped fingers of the cover poke into.

The first roof-side-compartment-cover parts you handled are attached to the trunk lid, they're the ones that flip vertically first here: https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/14ft-of-sensibleness-my-11-vw-eos.58513/page-3#post-2967352
They only go horizontal when the roof is down, stay vertical when it's up because the main rear (C?) pillar goes through that spot. The second, longer parts are attached to the front and tilt outside to let the roof beams pass up/down.

Last edited:
You know you love it! I hope your Eos friend has hydraulic fluid, you definitely want to top that up before the pump is completely destroyed.
That pump buzzing without fluid in it was triggering me.

Found a Liqui Moly equivalent that has the VW approval and it's locally available! I'll get some tomorrow!
Excellent, it’s probably very similar the the hydraulic fluid my Discovery took for the suspension.

I honestly think you’ll get movement when you fill it back up. There may be a bleed procedure, worth looking that up.

I was offered a HS13 sensor with intact mounting part through the German Eos forum already, very good, although I intend to work with a piece of duct tape for now, assuming the sensor itself is not actually faulty.. :mrgreen:

-edit-

Also, for people who wonder how bad of an idea this was:

As of buying this car, the cheapest running driving Eos without any major issues (like, roof) were as follows:
- 1899 EUR, cheapest overall, RHD, Diesel, possibly plus import duties (still on UK plates)
- 2200 EUR, cheapest LHD, diesel, 300kkm
- 2800 EUR, cheapest petrol version, 240kkm, smaller wear items but runs drives and roof works

And for fun:
- 1400 in-op RHD TDI, cheapest non-wrecked one
- 1890 EUR, LHD front impact, cheapest LHD

Those were the numbers when I looked before and after purchase. I am sure others will come and go, but that's what I worked with.. :)

Last edited:
Whoa, you'll gonna need a whole heap of spare parts for fixing everything. Do you have the VW spare parts department on speed dial already? :razz:

So many plastic parts! The roof mechanism on the Smart scared me but that was incredibly simple in comparison. Still, things are going in the right direction!